Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andy Ruiz Vs. Anthony Joshua Rematch Odds: Ruiz Is Still A Significant Underdog

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Ruiz Vs. Anthony Joshua Rematch Odds: Ruiz Is Still A Significant Underdog

Now that boxing fans are beginning to get over the shock of Andy Ruiz knocking out heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua on Saturday, sports books are beginning to post odds for the rematch.

And Ruiz, who now holds three heavyweight titles, is still the underdog.

Depending on the sports book, Ruiz was somewhere between a 10/1 and a 20/1 underdog vs. Joshua on Saturday night. According to BetOnline, he’ll find himself in a similar position when the two battle again.

In its opening line Monday for the potential rematch, BetOnline made Joshua a -350 favorite, meaning you’d have to bet $350 to win $100. Ruiz, meanwhile, is a +275 underdog. That means you’d win $275 for a $100 wager. It’s not nearly as wide as Ruiz being a +1400 underdog, but it’s an interesting look at how the sports book thinks the public will bet on the rematch.

“Considering Ruiz was a 14/1 underdog this past weekend, it would be hard to justify him being another huge underdog,” Dave Mason, the sports book brand manager for BetOnline, told Forbes in an email. “However, we expect the smart money to come in on Joshua closer to the fight while the public will probably back Ruiz again.”

In other words, Mason predicts that professional gamblers and other sharp bettors will put their money on Joshua while the fans who just watched Ruiz destroy Joshua will bet that Ruiz can accomplish it a second time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshkat.../#55f8c6371886

C'mon Wilder fans put your trainers on Ruiz to win, you'll be making money.

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
    Now that boxing fans are beginning to get over the shock of Andy Ruiz knocking out heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua on Saturday, sports books are beginning to post odds for the rematch.

And Ruiz, who now holds three heavyweight titles, is still the underdog.

Depending on the sports book, Ruiz was somewhere between a 10/1 and a 20/1 underdog vs. Joshua on Saturday night. According to BetOnline, he’ll find himself in a similar position when the two battle again.

In its opening line Monday for the potential rematch, BetOnline made Joshua a -350 favorite, meaning you’d have to bet $350 to win $100. Ruiz, meanwhile, is a +275 underdog. That means you’d win $275 for a $100 wager. It’s not nearly as wide as Ruiz being a +1400 underdog, but it’s an interesting look at how the sports book thinks the public will bet on the rematch.

“Considering Ruiz was a 14/1 underdog this past weekend, it would be hard to justify him being another huge underdog,” Dave Mason, the sports book brand manager for BetOnline, told Forbes in an email. “However, we expect the smart money to come in on Joshua closer to the fight while the public will probably back Ruiz again.”

In other words, Mason predicts that professional gamblers and other sharp bettors will put their money on Joshua while the fans who just watched Ruiz destroy Joshua will bet that Ruiz can accomplish it a second time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshkat.../#55f8c6371886

C'mon Wilder fans put your trainers on Ruiz to win, you'll be making money.
    Those odds sound right to me. If the fight is in the UK, Joshua should be the favorite. Ruiz fought a great fight, but he did get caught by Joshua first.

Comment

Immediate rematch i think Josh underdog. In Mexico Josh underdog.
      If Josh can rebuild then ruiz underdog

Comment

Matchroom has enough money to give Ruiz the beneficial bonus to fight in the UK.

Haymon and his people will try their best to convince Ruiz otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
          Matchroom has enough money to give Ruiz the beneficial bonus to fight in the UK.

Haymon and his people will try their best to convince Ruiz otherwise
          I think Hearn is smart enough to have put in the contract that matchroom controls the choice of location, purse splits etc, so there's no way out for Haymon/Ruiz.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
            I think Hearn is smart enough to have put in the contract that matchroom controls the choice of location, purse splits etc, so there's no way out for Haymon/Ruiz.
            Depends if Haymon affiliates have no problem backing Ruiz’s penalties. Lots of money. Let’s see if Espinoza or those at Fox see profitability on betting on Ruiz. They should be like DAZN, invest with no insecurities. Otherwise they’re cheap, Showtime has the money. In the end Espinoza has to justify the expense to CBS Sports board on why Ruiz is valuable and will win for the profitability of the Hispanic market.

Comment

hard to believe

I find it incredulous that odds would be similar. I truly have to question this assertion and see if it holds out during leading days to the fight.

One would have to assume that Joshua did not show a weakness, a failure that can be exploited at the professional level. Maybe the line makers think it will go to the judges?

makes no sense. in professional sports when someone is shown to have a vulnerability it can be predicted that his opponent will know how to exploit it on some level. Joshua for his part still has not really shown that he understands that Ruiz pushed him back off his base and then could hit him with little fear of reprecussions.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                I find it incredulous that odds would be similar. I truly have to question this assertion and see if it holds out during leading days to the fight.

One would have to assume that Joshua did not show a weakness, a failure that can be exploited at the professional level. Maybe the line makers think it will go to the judges?

makes no sense. in professional sports when someone is shown to have a vulnerability it can be predicted that his opponent will know how to exploit it on some level. Joshua for his part still has not really shown that he understands that Ruiz pushed him back off his base and then could hit him with little fear of reprecussions.
                The odds aren't similar. They're pretty different.

And how would like Joshua to show you that he's analysed the problem?

I find it incredulous that you think the things you noticed can't be similarly unpicked by him and his expensively assembled advisors.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
                  The odds aren't similar. They're pretty different.

And how would like Joshua to show you that he's analysed the problem?

I find it incredulous that you think the things you noticed can't be similarly unpicked by him and his expensively assembled advisors.
                  I am responding to Robbie stating that the odds are similar.

You don't know much about boxing do you? I want you to take a look at rematches similar to this one. There is always precident. Advisors do not climb into the ring...and if you look carefully you will find that AJ, talented as he is, is no Mike Tyson, no Ali... You will find that there actually are legit reasons why he was beaten that night and the bookies should well be aware of such reasons.

Precident will be your friend, even if I spell it wrong at times...Want a realistic precident? watch Rhonda Rousey after she got beat up. Watch Tyson against Holly, the second fight...where Holly was a major underdog the first one....

Forget how Ruiz looks, Tony Galento looked like that as well and could fight just as well as Ruiz. Ruiz has uch faster hands than most heavyweights, has a modicum of power, has decent footwork, and AJ still has not figured out (with all those fancy advisors) how to not be backed up by a pressure fighter like Ruiz... I know this because the only guy he fought who was close in that respect was Whyte....Whyte had him in trouble also...watch that fight carefully. Whyte is a decent puncher but not so much a pressure guy as Ruiz.

See how I look at this situation? no emotions, no assumptions... Just what I see... And I like AJ. Just think his footwork is not good enough to deal with the footspeed and footwork at the top of the division until he improves and can do more things than punch when he feels like it.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    I am responding to Robbie stating that the odds are similar.

You don't know much about boxing do you? I want you to take a look at rematches similar to this one. There is always precident. Advisors do not climb into the ring...and if you look carefully you will find that AJ, talented as he is, is no Mike Tyson, no Ali... You will find that there actually are legit reasons why he was beaten that night and the bookies should well be aware of such reasons.

Precident will be your friend, even if I spell it wrong at times...Want a realistic precident? watch Rhonda Rousey after she got beat up. Watch Tyson against Holly, the second fight...where Holly was a major underdog the first one....

Forget how Ruiz looks, Tony Galento looked like that as well and could fight just as well as Ruiz. Ruiz has uch faster hands than most heavyweights, has a modicum of power, has decent footwork, and AJ still has not figured out (with all those fancy advisors) how to not be backed up by a pressure fighter like Ruiz... I know this because the only guy he fought who was close in that respect was Whyte....Whyte had him in trouble also...watch that fight carefully. Whyte is a decent puncher but not so much a pressure guy as Ruiz.

See how I look at this situation? no emotions, no assumptions... Just what I see... And I like AJ. Just think his footwork is not good enough to deal with the footspeed and footwork at the top of the division until he improves and can do more things than punch when he feels like it.
                    Nice long post. Obviously I lost interest.

Pretty sure you didn't cover the bit I responded to though.

You said that Joshua hasn't shown that he understands why he was beaten.

I say that's pompous crap. I'm sure he understands. I'm sure his team are rewatching that fight more than you. I'm sure they were closer to the build up and the action. I'm sure they've spend their lives dedicated to the sport.

Yeah I don't know much about boxing. I know that Joshua won't be explaining himself to you or asking you to join his team.

Comment

Working...
                    X