No announcement yet.

Martial Arts Tournament

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts Tournament

So, list the kinds of martial arts tournaments that you know of. Like the early UFC events and some Pride championships. I really love to watch tournaments and would like to watch more of them.

[QUOTE=Banko Villas;17305081]So, list the kinds of martial arts tournaments that you know of. Like the early UFC events and some Pride championships. I really love to watch tournaments and would like to watch more of ........ bazilian VALE TUDO

Comment

Ladiv, can you mention some Vale Tudo events which were in tournament format, like the earliest UFC tournaments?

Comment

Originally posted by Banko Villas View Post
        So, list the kinds of martial arts tournaments that you know of. Like the early UFC events and some Pride championships. I really love to watch tournaments and would like to watch more of them.
        Check out the early ufc 1-5

Also look up sabaki challenge karate tournament

Comment

UFC 1-12

Pride grand prix's

Rizin openweight grand prix

Comment

If you want a rare one look up " World Combat Championship " It was going to try and be better than UFC back in the day with modified rules ,making less ground work (like stand ups used today ) The promotion had Renzo Gracie but it only lasted one show bc no holds barred fighting was struggling in those mid 1990 years and went under . I saw this on PPV and enjoyed it bc UFC was the only one around on T.V and knew the type off fighting was taking off (though barely survived )

Detailed break down below ....

Peters owner ,wished to have something that made his product different than the UFC's, so he decided to hold two tournaments, a striker's bracket and a grappler's bracket, and have the winners face each other in a climatic final showdown. The rules would be slightly different in each bracket.

All fights would be 22 minutes long with all strikes and targets being legal. In the grappler's fight there was a 10 minute limit for ground time and submissions were legal. In the striker's divisions all submission holds were illegal and the ground time was limited to two minutes. Fights could end by a fighter tapping out, a knockout, a referee intervention, corner throwing in the towel, or in a judge's decision.

These rules would not be a success, it was a huge burden on the strikers as they took a great deal more punishment than the grapplers in their matches.
            The first match of the evening featured Renzo Gracie and Ben Spijkers. There was some tension between two competitors and Renzo earned a quick win as he choked Spijkers out. Renzo then stood, stepping on the head of Spijkers as he walked away, causing a minor uproar. Renzo later apologized for the incident.

Bart Vale had a very hard time with Mike Bitonio. Vale was able to secure an arm triangle after seven grueling minutes. Vale pulled out due to injury and would never win another MMA match in his career. Paulson, entered in the striker's bracket at a Jeet Kune Do fighter, struggle to finish Sean McCully, catching several submissions but was forced to release them.
            In the end, it was Renzo Gracie and James Warring in the final, and Renzo was easily able to get the submission victory.

Peters claims the even made money and was planning a second event, but they lost their funding and the WCC died. And while its experimentation with rules was ultimately a failure, it did provide important lessons and is a memorable attempt at shaping how the sport would develop.
            To close with here is the full event
            Last edited by juggernaut666; 01-03-2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

There was also MARS, Martial Arts Reality Superfighting.

They had one show, the main even being Renzo Gracie vs Oleg Taktarov.

There was also Battlecade: Extreme Fighting. They had 4 shows before going under.

John Peretti was the matchmaker there. He later was UFC's matchmaker for a short time pre-Zuffa.

Comment

I saw that back in the day (WCC) and again recently. Pretty good fights. Renzo dominated that tournament and the best fight was when James Warring held onto that kickboxer's ponytail with his left hand and kept punching him in the face with his right until he got the TKO.

Comment

I liked Renzo better too because he actually worked on learning some boxing in addition to his BJJ. Rickson was also pretty fun to watch, but of his 11 wins, only about 3 were against fighters with winning records. It was the early days of MMA though and I liked watching him throw opponents to the ground and either choke or armbar them.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                    There was also MARS, Martial Arts Reality Superfighting.

They had one show, the main even being Renzo Gracie vs Oleg Taktarov.

There was also Battlecade: Extreme Fighting. They had 4 shows before going under.

John Peretti was the matchmaker there. He later was UFC's matchmaker for a short time pre-Zuffa.
                    I had tickets to that battlecade until Mayor Guilaino pulled it from N.Y prior to the event.

Comment

Working...
                    X