Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andrei Arlovski realizes Boxing doesn't translate well to MMA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arlovski is not a boxer. Even my old boxing coach from when I was a young lad would chew him out for his mistakes. If his boxing skills were at the same level as your run of the mill heavyweight he wouldn't have got KO'd like he did, He would have got submitted or leg kicked to death ... Also I think boxing translates quite well to MMA as a good amount of successful MMA fighters use boxing as their primary striking technique. Still it is more important to have a good base in Wrestling or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu than any of the striking arts from what I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshPrince View Post
      I find it odd that he thinks it's his wrestling and jui jitsu that needs work when he got ktfo in his last two fights.
      He thinks they need work b/c he didn't use any of his bjj or wrestling.

Comment

he is extremely talented no doubt....but needs to keep his focus. As long as he is still competing in MMA, he must still have a good all round game

Comment

"Rogers was great, he did what he did. I took the fight and I got my ass kicked, it's that simple. It's embarrassing, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I have to move on. I'm definitely going to come back."

good to hear a fighter come out and admit that ****.... no excuses, he did get his ass kicked.... and by realizing it and coming to terms with it, the road to recovery is much quicker!

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
            No. Boxing just doesn't translate well to MMA. The gloves are too small, which means there goes your blocking D. That means the only thing you have is sway/weaving and guess what? In MMA, knees and kicks will eat your soul if you weave like a boxer.

Alessio Sakara, Joe Stevenson, Marcus Davis..... all boxers... all C- MMA fighters.
            I couldn't dissagree more, I just don't call what Arlovski does...boxing. The one thing I rarely see MMA fighters do is move thier heads and in this I don't see any tactical dissadvantage in MMA.

They just don't have a good defense other than catching punches, isn't the point not to get hit? It seems in MMA catching punches is the only way you are taught to defend yourself from boxing.

Look at the Ross fight last night, the American wasn't moving or slipping punches when he was backed into the ropes. Even the trainer was telling him not to just stand there and get hit.

Arlovski wouldn't last very long in a boxing ring against a pro boxer.

Comment

Thing is though, it's not just punches you have to worry about. elbows, knees and kicks all come into play too. Having head movement is great in boxing, but you move your head too much in MMA and you can get caught with a kick straight to the dome. Plus boxing doesn't teach you how to defend kicks, knees, elbows, takedowns and submissions.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
                Thing is though, it's not just punches you have to worry about. elbows, knees and kicks all come into play too. Having head movement is great in boxing, but you move your head too much in MMA and you can get caught with a kick straight to the dome.
                Agreed. I'd say that Quinton Jackson is one of the more successful users of boxing techique in MMA but he runs into problems when he is being kicked to the legs or kneed in the clinch.

Arlovski's problems have nothing do with boxing however and I'm surprised that he hasn't been able to recognize that. He was caught for making silly mistakes such as backing up straight towards the cage without keeping his defense up (against a known puncher as well) and for throwing a flying knee, which is surely not a boxing technique.

He has two options really, either polish his striking to the level where he rarely makes mistakes, or begin taking fights to the ground where he can use his Sambo background to dominate opposition.

I think he has worked so much on his striking though that it will be tough for him to change his style at this point of his career.

Comment

Andrei is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeKickAss View Post
                    He thinks they need work b/c he didn't use any of his bjj or wrestling.
                    Hard to do that when you're KOd in 22 seconds.

Arlovski does need to work more on his boxing, in addition to the other aspects of MMA. His boxing wasn't hindering him in the Fedor fight, and his poor utilization of boxing hurt him in the Rodgers fight. Doesn't Moorer tell him to move his damn head?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X