No announcement yet.

Stop comparing Ward to Floyd...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
    This is kinda racist lol but I've thought this too. Ward fights like a bigger, slower, clumsier version of Floyd. He isn't blessed with the fast twist muscle fibers that a lot of great African American fighters have had in the past. He has the mind of an elite level fighter but not the reflexes or quickness that many all time greats had.
    It's not racist, it's a fact. I'm white and I'm slow as ****. Sure every once in a while you'll see a guy like Lomachenko that has top level speed, but in general, white people don't have that fast twitch muscle. That's why you never see white guys in boxing fighting from the outside using their speed to potshot their opponent for 12 rounds. We have to stalk and bang for 12 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Yes those are facts. I actually followed boxing at the time. Corrales was an unbeaten feared puncher who many thought would beat Mayweather. Ranked top 5 pound for pound by most publications. But when you try to rewrite history or didn't follow the sport at the time I can understand your ignorance.

Care to explain how Kovalev's record is any more impressive than Corrales at that point?
      Wow, you actually followed boxing back then, impressive. And who's rewriting history?

I know very well who and what Corrales was. But is he comparable to Kova?? Nope. Ward moved up to Kova's weight. Corrales struggled to make the weight he fought Floyd at. Floyd also ended up being the bigger man. Height didn't equal (bigger).

Chico was no where near as skilled as Kova. He was not as good as Kova, and he was not even as big as Floyd. And you don't need to rewrite history to prove that. To even try to compare Kova to Chico is a damn shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
        NO he's not. Not even Ward believes that. Ward said himself that Kovalev is built up to be this scary monster when he really isn't. That's what the hype machine behind Kovalev has led you to believe. Kovalev does not have nearly the career resume that De La Hoya, Cotto, Mosley or Pacquiao had. And before you bring up their age, which most Floyd critics like to do, Kovalev is no spring chicken himself at 33 years old.
        Ward can say whatever he likes. The not scary monster dropped him and hurt him with every clean shot he landed and won the fight in most observers eyes. And now Ward is acting funny with the rematch.

Career resume and age? Trying to cover everything. We'll pretend that Mosley was prime, Pacman, Dhl, and Cotto for your sake. Because Pacman hadn't gotten slept, and Cotto hadn't been destroyed and Mosley talked straight and DLH held most of 154'rs title, not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
          Wow, you actually followed boxing back then, impressive. And who's rewriting history?

I know very well who and what Corrales was. But is he comparable to Kova?? Nope. Ward moved up to Kova's weight. Corrales struggled to make the weight he fought Floyd at. Floyd also ended up being the bigger man. Height didn't equal (bigger).

Chico was no where near as skilled as Kova. He was not as good as Kova, and he was not even as big as Floyd. And you don't need to rewrite history to prove that. To even try to compare Kova to Chico is a damn shame.
          You have no shame with your lies and contradictions. Who has Kovalev beaten that makes him better than Corrales was at that time? You still haven't answered that.

Corrales moved up to 147 and was killed shortly after that. So how can you say Mayweather ended up bigger? That's just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by adrikitty View Post
            Say what you want about Floyd - but the man is a legend, and a top 5 ATG.

What makes him such an ATG? Aside from his resume, he did what true greats do - when they face adversity, and arguably are beaten (which, let's be honest, JLC did beat Floyd the first time), they go RIGHT BACK INTO THE FIRE, and prove their mettle - sink or swim - they tackle the challenge, and give the fans what they want...

Both times Floyd faced adversity in the ring, and people say he lost, he immediately rematch both (don't even think he was obligated to rematch either time).

JLC first fight he lost, but he stepped right back in there, and clearly beat him in the rematch!

Maidana fight where Floyd looked vulnerable for the first time in a decade (since the JLC fight, TBH), what did he do? Stepped right back in the fire, and won a clear UD. The first Maidana fight really wasn't even that controversial, IMO. It was a close, but clear victory for Floyd. STILL, Floyd did what true champions do.

Ward just doesn't have this mentality... He knows he caught lightening in a bottle with the judges decision, and he ain't willing to put it all on the line, at the drop of a dime, like Floyd... #HOE_CAKE.
            I think the first fight was answering the critics and upstaging Broner, ie I can stand trade and hang on the ropes and not be bosses around like AB was, when Floyd realised after eight it was in the balance and competitive he retreated and saw the fight out in his closing out style he's known for and has expertly mastered. Had Floyd fought like he closed the fight out initially Maidana wouldn't have won a round, just like the rematch. Maidana was being flustered and missing wide like Kovalev was late versus Ward.

Ward and Floyd are somewhat comparable, they outclass their opponents to the point they like their composure, Maidana bit Floyd and like in the Ward fight when Kovalev had his tantrum at the end of the tenth when the fight clearly was going against him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              Ward can say whatever he likes. The not scary monster dropped him and hurt him with every clean shot he landed and won the fight in most observers eyes. And now Ward is acting funny with the rematch.

Career resume and age? Trying to cover everything. We'll pretend that Mosley was prime, Pacman, Dhl, and Cotto for your sake. Because Pacman hadn't gotten slept, and Cotto hadn't been destroyed and Mosley talked straight and DLH held most of 154'rs title, not.
              If Kovalev had hurt him with every shot why was Ward still landing the better shots at the end of the fight? If Kovalev is this big bad monster why was a guy like Darnell Boone able to trouble him and knock him down? Who exactly has Kovalev beat to earn the title of this "scary monster" besides a 50 year old Bernard Hopkins?

I doubt Kovalev at 33 is "prime." He did not look good in his fight preceding the Ward fight and he hasn't fought anyone besides an ancient B Hop. Keep falling for the hype. Cotto became middleweight champion two years after facing Floyd. Pacquiao reclaimed his WBO title after facing Floyd. Canelo since facing Floyd has stopped nearly every guy he has faced. And Canelo has a far better resume than Kovalev does. So let's not act like Kovalev is better than anyone Floyd has faced

Comment

agree with everything except the top 5 ATG

Comment

Can you really compare the Castillo and Maidana that Floyd fought to Kovalev

Comment

Working...
                  X