No announcement yet.

Gilfoid sets out Froch's path to all time greatness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilfoid sets out Froch's path to all time greatness

This writer trolls British boxing fans, to the point where his nonsense can sometimes be amusing and frustrating in equal measure but I did enjoy the criteria he sets out for Froch to become an all time great:

Here’s what Froch will have to do in order for him to be an all-time great in my book: He’ll have to beat the following fighters for me to consider him in that category:

Andre Dirrell – in a neutral venue and without controversy like last time
    Andre Ward
    Lucian Bute – in Montreal
    Adonis Stevenson
    Mikkel Kessler – without controversy
    Sergio Martinez
    Peter Quillin
    Thomas Oosthuizen
    Gennady Golovkin
    Julio Cesar Chavez Jr
    Chad Dawson

If Froch can run the table on all of these guys in beating them, then I see him an all-time great, but until then I just see him one of the three paper champions at 168. The only real champion I see in the super middleweight division is Andre Ward.
    http://www.************.com/2013/02/...ll-time-great/

I think Froch can beat Dirrell, Bute, Stevenson, Kessler, Quillin, Oosthuizen, Golovkin, Chavez Jr.

I'm not sure about Martinez, he will probably never fight Dawson and imo will never beat Ward.

Which of the fighters on that list do you see Froch beating?

He knocked out Lucian Bute. What difference does it make whether the fight took place in Montreal or not? A knockout doesn't go to the scorecards. Give me a break.

Comment

i don't know why people even get worked up about this guy. his articles are so poorly written and full of flawed thinking and rhetoric, it's impossible to consider any of his output significant or worthy of attention.

Comment

Scott Gilfoid does not exist.

It's just a pen name for David Rosenberg, the owner of East Side Boxing and boxingnews24.

Comment

That's ******ed. I think he can beat everyone on that list except Ward and maybe Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by iseah100 View Post
            That's ******ed. I think he can beat everyone on that list except Ward and maybe Martinez.
            Totally agree, I think he beats everybody on the list but not Ward. Martinez would be to small for Froch imo

Comment

Froch has a couple years left, no way he fights even half of those fights.

He can become a lock hall of famer if he beats Kessler, and went up to 175 and won a title, he'd probably be in.

Comment

I don't know how effective Froch would be at light heavyweight... I think the idea that the guy can become an ATG is ludicrous, he has never dominated the only division he's campaigned in and he will never beat Ward.

I do think he will beat Kessler in the rematch though as Mikkel has deteriorated more than Froch in the last 3 years, the fact that its in England helps too, but I wouldn't be surprised with a stoppage either.

The best Froch could do to possibly make an argument for ATG status is the following:

1) Beat Kessler in April
                2) Beat Ward later in the year to become the super middleweight champion
                3) Move up to 175 and fight a decent titleholder (Shumenov/Cleverley)
                4) Beat the Pascal v. Dawson winner to become the light heavyweight champion

I think if he were able to accomplish this (which he can't), it would certainly make a statement.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                  Froch has a couple years left, no way he fights even half of those fights.

He can become a lock hall of famer if he beats Kessler, and went up to 175 and won a title, he'd probably be in.
                  Why do so many people here put so much emphasis on titlebelts as though they meant something? Is Carl Froch winning a title at 168 (or 175 hypothetically) the same as Andre Ward and Martinez becoming the champions at 168 and 160 respectively? No, ATGs/HOFs like Duran, Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, Monzon, Robinson, Joe Louis, etc. were CHAMPIONS, Froch has never been a champion.
                  Last edited by BafanaBafana; 02-03-2013, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
                    Why do so many people here put so much emphasis on titlebelts as though they meant something? Is Carl Froch winning a title at 168 (or 175 hypothetically) the same as Andre Ward and Martinez becoming the champion at 168 and 160 respectively?
                    If he beat Kessler, than went to 175 and beat Dawson, he'd probably get in.

Comment

Working...
                    X