No announcement yet.

Freddie Mills

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddie Mills

hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any information on Freddie Mills the world champion who fought from 1937-1950 who also fought joey maxim. I would be interested in finding out more about his style or maybe even seeing some footage, as he is the only world champion ever from bournemouth, where i live. Just thought I would ask seeing as some of the people on this forum are very knowledgable.

Thanks ( Green K will be given )

Here are his two fights with Gus Lesnevich which he is most known for:

Mills vs Bruce Woodcock:

Mills vs Paco Bueno:

Mills vs Johnny Ralph:

Comment

wow thank you so much lol

Comment

any interesting stories/ information?

Comment

Originally posted by Richie-G View Post
          hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any information on Freddie Mills the world champion who fought from 1937-1950 who also fought joey maxim. I would be interested in finding out more about his style or maybe even seeing some footage, as he is the only world champion ever from bournemouth, where i live. Just thought I would ask seeing as some of the people on this forum are very knowledgable.

Thanks ( Green K will be given )

One of the gamest fighters to ever step in the ring. He was no ring technician, rather a tough, relentless brawler who often shipped a lot of punishment. He was hugely popular in his day, just the sort of tonic post-war Britain needed.

He'd fight anyone, and his manager would match him with anyone, including a few he should never have been in the ring with. One time they matched him against Joe Baksi, a fully-fledged heavyweight who outweighed him by about 30lbs and gave Freddie a real beating.

I have his autobiography somewhere. I'll have to fish it out when I get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
            One of the gamest fighters to ever step in the ring. He was no ring technician, rather a tough, relentless brawler who often shipped a lot of punishment. He was hugely popular in his day, just the sort of tonic post-war Britain needed.

He'd fight anyone, and his manager would match him with anyone, including a few he should never have been in the ring with. One time they matched him against Joe Baksi, a fully-fledged heavyweight who outweighed him by about 30lbs and gave Freddie a real beating.

I have his autobiography somewhere. I'll have to fish it out when I get a chance.
            You won't get a better discription than this..
            All I can add, is that Mills life came to a tragic & controversial end.. Similar to Sonny Liston, he was heavily involved with the local hoods (Kray Twins from East London) & was discovered dead one morning, slumped over the wheel of his parked car with a single bullet wound to the head.. No one really knows whether it was suicide or murder to this day... Neither do I...

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
              You won't get a better discription than this..
              All I can add, is that Mills life came to a tragic & controversial end.. Similar to Sonny Liston, he was heavily involved with the local hoods (Kray Twins from East London) & was discovered dead one morning, slumped over the wheel of his parked car with a single bullet wound to the head.. No one really knows whether it was suicide or murder to this day... Neither do I...
              Doubt it was the twins to be honest, don't buy into all this modern day robin hood revisionism but don't put them up for Freddie.
              Freddie was a game fighter probably too brave for his own good especially when he used tyo go up to HW.
              1st fight I went to was when my Dad took me as a pup to see Mills against Baksi, still gives me nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by Richie-G View Post
                any interesting stories/ information?
                Started boxing by doing the fairground booths, i.e. last 3 rounds for ten bob. Mickey M will explain

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                  Doubt it was the twins to be honest, don't buy into all this modern day robin hood revisionism but don't put them up for Freddie.
                  Freddie was a game fighter probably too brave for his own good especially when he used tyo go up to HW.
                  1st fight I went to was when my Dad took me as a pup to see Mills against Baksi, still gives me nightmares.
                  His bravery was second to none.. I think he went in with Woodcock or London at heavy in a game, but losing effort..
                  I'd be suprised to, if it were the Krays that bumped him off.. Although he posed in several photos with them, I don't think there was ever a motive, but the circumstances were a bit suspicious.. Please don't think that I'm blackening his name, but rumors had circulated about his sexuality, & it has been suggested that something may have been going on with Ronnie Kray.. However, I have no real information to varify this, & would strongly suspect it was hearsay..

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                    Started boxing by doing the fairground booths, i.e. last 3 rounds for ten bob. Mickey M will explain
                    They were common place in London during the 50's & 60's, & regarded as a quicker route than the amateurs.. Trainers & promoters would often stand at the back & keep a low profile, while scouting for talent..

Comment

Working...
                    X