No announcement yet.

Love him, hate him but Mayweather Has been Good for Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
    He really hasn't. But if he wins this fight he will be. If he loses, he will be the biggest sht streak the sport has ever seen.

Most of the latter part of this guys career has been spent killing the sport. When he finally retires and we finally have the game putting itself back together by making the fights we want to see and not marinated for 5 years, enter again Floyd Joy Sinclair, and loses to an MMA hypejob, dropkicking the sport back into embarrassment and possibly a never ending coma.

Seriously, if he loses to Mcgregor.....but if he dominates, yea, it boosts the sport, but it will be really the only boost he's done. Pacquiao was the FOTD because he carried the btch on his shoulders.
    Fool, Pacman was milking the sport for ppv dollars, while you all called him the savior of the sport. He was fighting all those meaningless fights and putting them on ppv and just robbing the bank.

Last time Floyd had a meaningless fight it was Berto and Conor. But when Floyd and Pac werent fighting eachother, Floyd was facing all those bigass young fighters. Pacman was fighting back to back losers. Look at that Mosley farce how it played out and got 1.3 million ppv buys. After what happen with Floyd and Mosley, its no way Mosley should have been in a ppv fight with Pac, and the results show.

The Margarita fight was another bs fight, but at least it was exciting. But the Clottey fight. Clottey's bumazz, after losing to Cotto didnt deserve to PPV fight and see how that turned out. Pac padded his ww record with these types of fights.

And JMM was supposed to be a cherrypick, but it backfired. JMM was 40yrs old, fat, slow. Floyd ducked Pacman, but cleaned up every single opponent at and around the weight class, in doing so.

Pac used Floyd ducking him, as an excuse to make all those trash fights and milked the sport, while you all called him a savior. Pac hurt the sport. Floyd was putting on legit events.

I cant even think of the last time Pac fought a real opponent. Cotto, Floyd, and Bradley? But Bradley was just a soft punching jrww with tactical skills. It wasnt a real fight, and I felt he should've had to fight Ortiz or Berto to get a Pac fight, because they were the #2 in the division. Pac rarely faces ranked fighter. Floyd always faced whoever was in the top 3.

Comment

Good post.

Floyd has a tremendous work ethic and he honed his skills to the maximum on top of that. That's a great combination and it made him unbeatable during his era.

Lots of other boxers would do well to learn from his example.

Look at Deontay Wilder for instance, who thinks he doesn't need to work on his skills because he's a heavyweight with power. Dumb. That just limits how dangerous he could be.

Or how about Frankie Gomez? Everyone says he's one of the most talented boxers out there. But how many times has he cheated his gift by not being disciplined enough to put in work, even going missing from training camp? Dumb. He is just stunting his own growth that way and his tree won't bear all the fruit that it should have.

Wasted talent everywhere.

Comment

Floyd did a remarkable thing outside the ring. He took control of his own career and made himself a fortune. I'm not fond if his fighting style after he moved up in weight but I hope he totally humiliates Connor. I'd rather he makes a fool of McGregor than knocking him out. McGregor is an *******.

Comment

Funny thing is I actually became a hardcore fan because of Mayweather. I watched boxing on off for years but I never knew the schedules or fighters. I'd literally just watch it sometimes when I saw it on when browsing channels. But then I started working at a cable company in customer service and saw ppv's free. Any Mayweather ppv was always a very busy night so, there over 1000 calls in the queue for May vs Pac. But since working there, I started watching his fights and learning more about the welterweight division and then started watching other divisions. That started with Gurerro in 2013. Since then, I've been a hardcore fan.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Good post.

Floyd has a tremendous work ethic and he honed his skills to the maximum on top of that. That's a great combination and it made him unbeatable during his era.

Lots of other boxers would do well to learn from his example.

Look at Deontay Wilder for instance,who thinks he doesn't need to work on his skills because he's a heavyweight with power. Dumb. That just limits how dangerous he could be.

Or how about Frankie Gomez? Everyone says he's one of the most talented boxers out there. But how many times has he cheated his gift by not being disciplined enough to put in work, even going missing from training camp? Dumb. He is just stunting his own growth that way and his tree won't bear all the fruit that it should have.

Wasted talent everywhere.
            Honestly I think this is the case with Broner. I think he took risks by moving up quickly and fighting tough fighters out of arrogance not not necessarily due to a healthy amount of confidence. I think he felt entitled to wins rather than knowing he had to earn them. I remember Mayweather saying he trained harder for Berto than Pacquiao, probably because he knew how embarrising it would be to lose to Berto. This gave me a sense that he never felt entitled to any win no matter the opponent. While Broner has been known to eat junk food and party before a big fight.

Comment

Working...
            X