"Band Off" - Nirvana vs Radiohead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tamis_Siensya View Post
    OK lol!

I'm just sayin' they appear to thread that road where Thom Yorke envisioned Radiohead, but they are nowhere near close.
    Coldplay has spent a career trying to emulate Pablo Honey which is by far Radioheads worst album which was their first

Radiohead stopped playing songs from Pablo Honey a loooooooooooong time ago because they despise it so much

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
      well any musician can tell you that the best music is made with emotion

Kurts depression was the inspiration for his music. Without it he would of just been another old washed up former Nirvana member

the band would of split up anyways and Kurt would of went on to lead numerous bands that would have one hit wonders here and there....much like Chris Cornell

Chris Cornell was a better singer and had better lyrics and they were in the same era!

Kurts death made Nirvana's legacy. No one wants to speak ill of the dead so everyone puts them on the rock god pedistal.

I remember when Nirvana was big and there was ZERO talk about them being one of the greatest bands ever.

as soon as Kurt died they were automatically rock gods.

i call bull****.

Radioheads music may not suit everyones tastes but being a musician myself i respect the musicianship of Radiohead far beyond Nirvana's.

Good musicians are able to change and flow with the times and always evolve as musicians

Nirvana was a one trick pony.
      Damn green K to follow sir!

That's exactly how I see it too!

I mean the Sex Pistols we're not exactly rock gods immediately not after like 20 years, even Sabbath.

Nirvana did have MTV to thank for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Tamis_Siensya View Post
        This is no contest!

Nirvana indeed flagshipped grunge, but if grunge was that big and resilient, then it could've been alive still, but it's just nothing but a passing fad. Props to Kurt, Christ and Dave, but think about it, even Dave Grohl got it going post Nirvana but using a different formula. All grunge did was sprung pseudo bands ridiculously jumping onto the wagon (ie; Screaming Trees, Candlebox, Blind Melon, etc.)

But still mad props for Kurt Cobain, not many guys like his persona comes along.

Radiohead on the other hand has created and is still creating music that grows in listeners. Not like the current thing of a generation but music that'll really stay in a dynamic sense for a long time. Their musical brilliance and diversified but tightly collaborated peices made them what they are.

No wonder Coldplay is using the same formula that Radiohead's been successful at.

Radiohead all the way!

And Radiohead were part of the britpop movement in the late 90's that was also a fad.
        Nirvana progressed with every album, and had they miraculously still been around today they would have been making very different music, just like Radiohead have. Kurt wanted to do experimental stuff that wouldnt have been mainstream at all.

U cant judge the greatness of a band based on whether their was a fad at the time.

Pearl Jam, AIC are still around making great music. Doesnt matter if its popular or not.
        Radiohead sound very different from when they first started.

In a way, u could say because no one could really do what Nirvana did, it makes them a better band than Radiohead who have been succuessfully imitated by current bands.

Comment

Coldplay has spent a career trying to emulate Pablo Honey which is by far Radioheads worst album which was their first

Radiohead stopped playing songs from Pablo Honey a loooooooooooong time ago because they despise it so much
          No ****e!

It's evident that they regret Pablo, very evident when The Bends and OK Computer went out. You can sense the immediate diversity immediately.

Jonny Greenwood was prolly the most pissed LOL!

Comment

Kurts depression was the inspiration for his music. Without it he would of just been another old washed up former Nirvana member....

I call bull****...

Good musicians are able to change and flow with the times and always evolve as musicians

Its inaccurate to say the depression was the inspiration for his music.

Bleach was a depression. Nevermind he was doing well. In Utero was a proper junkie superstar what am I doing here depression.

His musical styles change you listen to the albums Nevermind is the most upbeat and In Utero he is sick of this ****.

Fact of the matter is his personality wasn't strong enough to deal with the pressure and he broke.

If you think that stadium filling crap is better. You buy it.

I'm down the bar watching the bands coming up.

They're good...

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba Chunday View Post
              And Radiohead were part of the britpop movement in the late 90's that was also a fad.
              Nirvana progressed with every album, and had they miraculously still been around today they would have been making very different music, just like Radiohead have. Kurt wanted to do experimental stuff that wouldnt have been mainstream at all.

U cant judge the greatness of a band based on whether their was a fad at the time.

Pearl Jam, AIC are still around making great music. Doesnt matter if its popular or not.

In a way, u could say because no one could really do what Nirvana did, it makes them a better band than Radiohead who have been succuessfully imitated by current bands.
              Radiohead were not a britpop band.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba Chunday View Post

Fair enough on the bold.

But like Midnight and I was saying, the only thing Radiohead got associated with the britpop movement (which in fact was never a britpop group to begin with) was The Pablo Honey album, after that it was totally different. Check out the next albums after Honey.

Nirvana's bread and butter was keepin' it simple but marketable, but it wasn't the story on the bleach and Nevermind albums.

Comment

Kurts depression was the inspiration for his music. Without it he would of just been another old washed up former Nirvana member

the band would of split up anyways and Kurt would of went on to lead numerous bands that would have one hit wonders here and there....much like Chris Cornell

Chris Cornell was a better singer and had better lyrics and they were in the same era!

Kurts death made Nirvana's legacy. No one wants to speak ill of the dead so everyone puts them on the rock god pedistal.

I remember when Nirvana was big and there was ZERO talk about them being one of the greatest bands ever.

as soon as Kurt died they were automatically rock gods.

i call bull****.

Radioheads music may not suit everyones tastes but being a musician myself i respect the musicianship of Radiohead far beyond Nirvana's.

When a band finishes forever, what the band did can be immedietly viewed in perspective. They arent going to go on a steady decline and be exposed as a one trick pony. We dont know what else they could have produced.

Nirvana did change. Theres a massive difference from Bleach to In Utero and then Unplugged.

Radioheads music may be more complex and diverse, i dont think that makes them better.
                  It is very difficult to write basic simple songs that are great.

Comment

So for the thread's sake, I'd say it's a matter of preference. Nirvana's got strong points, but IMO no resiliency.

But since me as a musically inclined (feeling) individual LOL. I'd pick Radiohead for reasons I stated in the thread.

Comment

Me go to ****ty job now, but one last word.

Radiohead use the same formula they have alsways used. But have tried different styles and sounds.
                      Nirvana werent around long enough for us to see what they would have done.

Radiohead have over 10 years more time to evolve and progress and experiment. So its not a fair contest.

Comment

Working...
                      X