Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Devon Alexander: My Opioid Addiction Kept Me Out of The Ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Devon Alexander: My Opioid Addiction Kept Me Out of The Ring

If you've ever wondered what happened to Devon Alexander's career in recent years, you don't know the half of it. The former junior welterweight and welterweight champion revealed in a story posted to the Premier Boxing Champions website Monday that his two-year layoff was caused in large part by an opioid addiction. As he prepares to return to the ring Tuesday night against Walter Castillo (FS1; 7:30 p.m. ET/4:30 p.m. PT), Alexander is telling his story for the first time in hopes of helping other addicts get the help they need.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Glad he's healthy again. That's more important than boxing.

Comment

Crazy man, props to him for stopping. I remember just 6years ago I fractured my tibia/fibula at the ankle at work. I was going to see the workers comp Dr. about every 10 days and every time I went to see him the first thing hed ask is if I needed more Vicodin. The crazy thing is I only used the first bottle he gave me after the initial visit over 2 months. I couldve easily have gotten a bottle every 10 days but thank God I know myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        Crazy man, props to him for stopping. I remember just 6years ago I fractured my tibia/fibula at the ankle at work. I was going to see the workers comp Dr. about every 10 days and every time I went to see him the first thing hed ask is if I needed more Vicodin. The crazy thing is I only used the first bottle he gave me after the initial visit over 2 months. I couldve easily have gotten a bottle every 10 days but thank God I know myself.
        I would've kept saying I needed more and then just sold them.

Props to Alexander for being honest about things instead of just lying and blaming injuries.

Comment

This explains why looked like **** against Aaron Martinez. I didn't know he got injured in the Maidana fight his career went downhill after that I'm glad he's healthy and back to

Comment

The 140lb - 147lb scene was great back when Alexander, Khan, Garcia, Peterson and Maidana were fighting. To think Alexander and Khan bested Maidana was also quite impressive considering the hammering both received. Even more impressive was Alexander beating Mathysse and Maidana back to back. I always thought Alexander would never recover from the Khan loss the way he was completely outboxed but turns out there was an Opiate addiction on top of that too. It's a shame really. Alexander was quite outspoken and would have been a decent, not great, addition at 147lb if the losses and addiction didn't away at him. The IBF would have suited him to a tee considering the amount of extremely mediocre boxers ranked with them at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
              I would've kept saying I needed more and then just sold them.

Props to Alexander for being honest about things instead of just lying and blaming injuries.
              Exactly, ^^^^^

Comment

I have a bit of an addiction problem myself and it actually feels good to know that somebody I was actually invested in kicked his.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                  Oxy had me for a few months, glad I moved passed that.
                  Those 80 mg, pain pills,,, dayum..

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                    Oxy had me for a few months, glad I moved passed that.
                    Those 80 mg, pain pills,,, dayum..
                    Stuffs no joke man, Dr's were handing out opiates like candy til these last 2 yrs. Now that it hit the rich kids hard they wanna control it.

Comment

Working...
                    X