Collapse
No announcement yet.

What am I doing wrong? (Advice needed)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I doing wrong? (Advice needed)

Hi

I'll keep this as brief as possible.

My routine is like this:

I do weightlifting aimed at gaining strength throughout the week including squats, bench, deadlift etc and two boxing sessions:

Boxing A - 12 x 4 minute rounds, 1 minute rest in between each round, on bag
    Boxing B - short bursts of left/right on bag, then hooks, then body shots (all on bag), finish off with ab/neck work

Routine is like:

Mon - Boxing A
    Tue - Weightlifting, Boxing B
    Wed - Weightlifting, Boxing A
    Thu - Boxing B
    Fri - Weightlifting, Boxing A
    Sat - Weightlifting, Boxing B
    Sun - Rest

I do no running as of now. After weightlifting I do a couple of bodyweight exercises but I also currently do no circuits/bodyweight exercises.

I've been doing this the past few weeks as I haven't been able to get to my boxing club. I've been hitting it fairly hard I'd say, but today (Wednesday) I got down to the club and did sparring, hadn't done sparring in a while.

to be honest I felt ****. I got in the ring and just felt weak, and dizzy - was it nervous energy? I feel gutted, and it's getting to me a lot already. I really want to do well but I was too nervous to throw punches, felt like I was slow and weak and dizzy?! Pissed me off when I got out. I feel like I have potential, but I just felt light and useless today - and got hit, whilst I was barely hitting the other guy - and he was lighter/younger than me. Is it just nerves?

What am I doing wrong? How do I increase speed, endurance, power, everything?

Thanks a lot!

Side question: will dropping bodyfat (and minimal muscle/strength) and therefore weight, make me punch and move faster?

Also, if it was nerves, is there anything I can do to toughen my mindset? agh.

Thanks, sorry for all the text.
    Last edited by MegaHold; 07-06-2011, 04:52 PM.

Originally posted by MegaHold View Post
    Hi

I'll keep this as brief as possible.

My routine is like this:

I do weightlifting aimed at gaining strength throughout the week including squats, bench, deadlift etc and two boxing sessions:

Boxing A - 12 x 4 minute rounds, 1 minute rest in between each round, on bag
    Boxing B - short bursts of left/right on bag, then hooks, then body shots (all on bag), finish off with ab/neck work

Routine is like:

Mon - Boxing A
    Tue - Weightlifting, Boxing B
    Wed - Weightlifting, Boxing A
    Thu - Boxing B
    Fri - Weightlifting, Boxing A
    Sat - Weightlifting, Boxing B
    Sun - Rest

I do no running as of now. After weightlifting I do a couple of bodyweight exercises but I also currently do no circuits/bodyweight exercises.

I've been doing this the past few weeks as I haven't been able to get to my boxing club. I've been hitting it fairly hard I'd say, but today (Wednesday) I got down to the club and did sparring, hadn't done sparring in a while.

to be honest I felt ****. I got in the ring and just felt weak, and dizzy - was it nervous energy? I feel gutted, and it's getting to me a lot already. I really want to do well but I was too nervous to throw punches, felt like I was slow and weak and dizzy?! Pissed me off when I got out. I feel like I have potential, but I just felt light and useless today - and got hit, whilst I was barely hitting the other guy - and he was lighter/younger than me. Is it just nerves?

What am I doing wrong? How do I increase speed, endurance, power, everything?

Thanks a lot!

Side question: will dropping bodyfat (and minimal muscle/strength) and therefore weight, make me punch and move faster?

Also, if it was nerves, is there anything I can do to toughen my mindset? agh.

Thanks, sorry for all the text.

The bolded, u gotta run man , just have to .......

and also i feel your pain about getting in the ring and feeling ****ty and slower and not how u look on the bag , sparring def. isn't the same as working on the bag at all because you're not defending yourself on the bag and you're more relaxed because you're not worried about being hit and no body weight is being leaned on you and you're also moving around a lot more ..

but you have to run

and also what type of weight lifting are u doing? if your looking to increase your speed i'd suggest lighter lifting but lots of reps at a high pace ...

folks can get up in lifting a "Ton" and build up a ton of muscle mass and turn themself into one big bulky machine, yea you will look good in the mirror and for the ladies but for boxing you will get worn out so quickly like that , bulk is so hard to carry around in boxing, im stll trying to get rid of that myself because i played a different sport before i started boxing, i had to cut how much weight i lift way down ...i do a lot of light lifting but a lot of reps.
    Last edited by KeepOnPushing; 07-06-2011, 05:05 PM.

Comment

You need cardio. Honestly, you feel tired because of lack of endurance and stamina. Yea, you are strong but you aren't going to last long either.

Also, I think you need to revisit your schedule which is have two days of rest instead of one. You are probably over-training yourself even the military has two days of rest (Saturday and Sunday) during non-training days.

Look at the boxers they do like 10-20 minutes of cardio before hitting the bags. I just watched Real Sports with Bryant Gumble last night and Anne Wolfe trained her boxers with cardio too running along the highway. So, really cardio really helps.

Hope this helps. Also, the food you are eating might be affecting you too. Headaches, too much fatty acids in your diet? ****ty feeling, too much carbohydrates like bread, rice, or starch in your food?

Comment

hmm okay. I'll get running, what kind of distance/duration are we looking at?

Also, anything else wrong with my routine?

edit
        On training days yeah I eat a lot of carbs, moderate/fair amount of fats and generally solid amount of protein each day.

I eat a fair amount of carbs.

Comment

Any answers to the post just above?

ALSO - I sweat LOADS, honestly I get build up heat so quick doing minimal exercise, I've always sweated loads. This is probably mostly genetic, but will carido stop me sweating so much?

Comment

no running? what???

Comment

So what distance should I run and how frequently?

Will more cardio stop me getting as hot/sweaty? I get really hot/sweaty after minimal exercise, mainly genetics but still.

Comment

hmm okay. I'll get running, what kind of distance/duration are we looking at?

Also, anything else wrong with my routine?

edit
                On training days yeah I eat a lot of carbs, moderate/fair amount of fats and generally solid amount of protein each day.

I eat a fair amount of carbs.
                Since you want a decent advice here it is:

Mon - Running 10 minutes (moderate pace), Boxing A
                Tue - Heavy Weightlifting, Boxing B
                Wed - Light Weightlifting, Boxing A
                Thu - Light run 10 minutes (jogging pace), Boxing B
                Fri - Heavy Weightlifting, Boxing A
                Sat - Running 20 minutes (jogging pace), Rest
                Sun - Rest

You are relegated from moderate pace to jogging pace because you are just a beginner. You can tweak this schedule when you feel comfortable increasing the pace. As an athlete should not have problems running in a treadmill at moderate pace #6 then for jogging pace #5. If you can't last 10 minutes at #6 moderate pace then you don't really have endurance and need to build it up.

Also, decrease your carbohydrates intake. You should assign days MON, THU, and SAT are good days to eat spaghetti or pizza or meal with bread, rice, or starch in it. Also, the next day it will help you because you'll be doing heavy lifting of weights and you are not eating a heavy meal the day before running too which helps preventing stitches or cramps.

You probably will have to go on light meals too like soup, fish, and vegetables during the days before going to run.

Your food schedule will look like this:

MON - Meat, starch, etc.
                TUE - Meat, soup, vegetables no bread, rice...
                WED - Fish, vegetables, soup no bread, rice...
                THU - Meat, starch, etc.
                FRI - Fish, vegetables, soup no bread, rice...
                SAT - Meat, starch, etc.
                SUN - Fish, soup, vegetables no bread, rice...

I wasn't against your protein diet. You need protein to help the muscles recover which is why protein is found just about in every health pills sold in GNC. You might just need to tone down the protein diet. I know a friend of mine he lost weight just by eating meat, fruits and vegetables for two months from 220 lbs to 195 lbs but it broke him because it punishes the body too much. You need carbohydrates too. You need bread/rice in your body.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks a lot bro!

Also, if I were to slowly lose around 8lbs of fat (and minimal muscle, up to 1lb of muscle if I prolonged the weight loss) do you think I would be able to move/hit faster? or will 8lbs not do a hell of a lot? It must help me in some way, like for endurance?

thanks again.

Comment

So what distance should I run and how frequently?

Will more cardio stop me getting as hot/sweaty? I get really hot/sweaty after minimal exercise, mainly genetics but still.
                    Distance? Right now, just assessing whether you can go for 10 minutes on a treadmill is good gauge in how much stamina and endurance you have.

Do the schedule for at least 2 weeks then after that you should have a goal. 2 mile running should be easy for you. The military has it that doing a 2 mile run in 15:30 minutes for a healthy person between 17-21 is the bare minimum the maximum is 13:00 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Ph...s_Test#Scoring

That link above is the military physical fitness test. If you do the maximum then you are above average, an elite. If you do above and beyond then you are a professional or an amateur athlete who do these things everyday and getting paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X