Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freedom.
    The Divide (2011) 5.5/10

This unique post-apocalyptic sci-fi psychological thriller is a difficult one to rate. One of the most horrifically upsetting movies I've ever seen, it's the story of nine people trying to survive in the basement of an apartment building after a nuclear attack on New York, and how they become divided among themselves and increasingly violent as some of them psychologically deteriorate. It stars Michael Biehn (who played Kyle Reese in the first Terminator) and Lauren German.

Predators (2010) 6.5/10

It's not a classic partly because the story has some inconsistencies, but this one is never dull and so will keep your attention from beginning to end. Some of the supporting cast do a mediocre job and are unable to portray their characters realistically, but Adrien Brody portrays the main character very well and Alice Braga is very good as Isabelle the sniper.
    The Divide was one messed up movie for real. If you like movies like that try The Road with Viggo Mortensen 7/10.

Silver Linings Playbook 8/10- I actually enjoyed this with Bradley Cooper & Jennifer Lawrence. Good movie about a bipolar guy trying to get his life back together.

Comment

• Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
      I keep forgeting to watch End of Watch. 8/10 huh? Definitely checking it out tonight.
      Id give it a 5/10. Very disappointed. The POV gimmick is all it has going for it. Very cliche story. And the idea of the police and gangsters(!!?) carrying around cameras the whole time was plain stupid.

I liked the idea but it didnt work imo.

The Master.
      Amazing acting and a very interesting story that is based on L Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology. The film shows him taking in a sailor and almost brainwashing him into becoming a member of his growing cult. There are different ways of looking at the story. It could be argued that he was genuinely trying to help him and help the world, but its still all based on strange quasi-religious ideas about past lives and humans "trillion year old spirit/souls".
      Some great scenes, and beautiful cinematography. Joaquin Phoenix i thought was amazing.
      But many dont like the way the story is told. I thought it was done well.

The Impossible.
      Great. Very powerful stuff, very real, and didnt seem to exploit the tsunami victims at all. Gives you a great insight into how devastating it must of been.

Hunger Games.
      Weak. The box office success was all about the popularity of the books. The film itself is chopped up, rushed and just a rehashed version of Battle Royal, The Running Man and a few other films.
      Laurence is fit, i only watched it for her, but preferred her in Winters Bone and Silver Linings.

Comment

• Glad to see quite a few agree with my opinion of Argo, End of Watch and Prometheus. Embarrassingly overrated.

Comment

• Loved Argo.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
            Id give it a 5/10. Very disappointed. The POV gimmick is all it has going for it. Very cliche story. And the idea of the police and gangsters(!!?) carrying around cameras the whole time was plain stupid.

I liked the idea but it didnt work imo.

The Master.
            Amazing acting and a very interesting story that is based on L Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology. The film shows him taking in a sailor and almost brainwashing him into becoming a member of his growing cult. There are different ways of looking at the story. It could be argued that he was genuinely trying to help him and help the world, but its still all based on strange quasi-religious ideas about past lives and humans "trillion year old spirit/souls".
            Some great scenes, and beautiful cinematography. Joaquin Phoenix i thought was amazing.
            But many dont like the way the story is told. I thought it was done well.

The Impossible.
            Great. Very powerful stuff, very real, and didnt seem to exploit the tsunami victims at all. Gives you a great insight into how devastating it must of been.

Hunger Games.
            Weak. The box office success was all about the popularity of the books. The film itself is chopped up, rushed and just a rehashed version of Battle Royal, The Running Man and a few other films.
            Laurence is fit, i only watched it for her, but preferred her in Winters Bone and Silver Linings.
            The Master was amazing, I thought. Anderson is a BOSS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
              Glad to see quite a few agree with my opinion of Argo, End of Watch and Prometheus. Embarrassingly overrated.
              End of Watch was average for me.....and far fetched as hell.

Promotheus was good until that guy came back alive and was like a zombie/alien mutant thing and attacked everyone at the ship. That's when it went down hill and lost me. I can't believe people are mentioning that film with the original Alien, which is a damn classic.

Argo was real good I thought. A sign of a good director is when you can get every actor to rise to the occasion, even average ones. Take his film The Town, Blake Lively usually sucks bad....but she did pretty good in the Town. I don't know, Affleck doesn't anything terribly amazing, but he does everything good, and in results, all 3 of his films have been really good on my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                End of Watch was average for me.....and far fetched as hell.

Promotheus was good until that guy came back alive and was like a zombie/alien mutant thing and attacked everyone at the ship. That's when it went down hill and lost me. I can't believe people are mentioning that film with the original Alien, which is a damn classic.

Argo was real good I thought. A sign of a good director is when you can get every actor to rise to the occasion, even average ones. Take his film The Town, Blake Lively usually sucks bad....but she did pretty good in the Town. I don't know, Affleck doesn't anything terribly amazing, but he does everything good, and in results, all 3 of his films have been really good on my opinion.
                Don't get me wrong i liked the movie but i was disappointed in the lack of historical accuracy.

Comment

• SPOILER ALERT:

Agree with you guys. End of Watch was sub par.

Am I the only person that got mad that the white boy lived, and his buddy died?

Mother ****er tries to be a hero, and drags his buddy along, and his buddy is the one that ends up dead. Not to mention, his wife just had a baby.

WTF. **** Jake Gyllenhal. LOL.
                  Last edited by Scarcaztic; 03-21-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Thank God I never watched The Huger Games. Looked too corny.

Definitely downloading the masters.

Comment

• Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
                      Thank God I never watched The Huger Games. Looked too corny.

Definitely downloading the masters.
                      I tried to watch Hunger Games fell asleep and don't regret it. Have you seen Battle Royale? Kinda the same plot but better (I'm assuming from what I know about hunger games) and came out before.

I honestly thought End of Watch was great, maybe I'm easy to please lol, but it was intense and held my attention.

I just watched Man with the Iron Fists the other night I wasn't very impressed with that I was expecting better.

Comment

Working...
                      X