Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rewatching Cotto Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto was relentless in this fight. Fought just like prime 140 version of himself with that constant pressure and staying mid range the whole time. You can tell he came to win unlike a lot of Floyd opponents who have given up by the 4th round and content to enter sparring partner mode and survive (Maidana being the only other recent exception)

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
      yeah those 2 brutal beatdowns he took didn't slow him down at all lol
      Funny how years later he was still beating good fighters and giving Canelo a close fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Good fight.

Cotto definitely had his moments, 6 and 8 were two of the clearer rounds Floyd had lost for years at that point.

This was a cross roads fight for Floyd IMO. When he came back from his lay off and was pretty stationary against Marquez, Mosley and Ortiz, preferably after Mosley everyone was talking about how "strong" Floyd is and how he was way stronger than Mosley, and he brought into it IMO, all in the build up to Ortiz he talked about being stationary and walking him down which is pretty much what he did for the most part.

I never understood it because the only time Shane actually got physical with Floyd (just before the left hook-right hand combo when his hands were down) Shane threw Floyd like a rag doll. But Emmanuel Steward kept saying it and everyone ran with it.

Anyway, against Cotto Floyd tried the same thing. Believing he was stronger than Cotto and after buzzing him a few times early he upped the pace way too early, and everytime it got physical Cotto was the MUCH stronger man. Floyd could not move him at all. One of the few times I have witnessed tactical errors from Floyd.

Another poster mentioned it but Cotto stunned Floyd at the start of the 6th with that subtle left hook. No one noticed it but he was buzzed. You always know when Floyd is hurt because his natural response is to put his hands up and tuck his chin.

Cotto performed well despite losing quite widely. He did himself proud and did things no one else has done to Floyd. That jab in the 8th (I think) where he timed Floyd beautifully was awesome, Floyd's nod to him as if to say "yeah you got me there" was a great response.

After this fight he starting moving a lot more than he had been in recent years.
        Good analysis. People underestimate just how tough this fight was for Floyd. Cotto pushed Floyd's Cardio and maybe did the most physical damage to him.

He may not have been as close on the cards as Castillo, Maidana, and Oscar but he presented Floyd with multiple problems and it was one of the few times I've seen Floyd visibly fatigued. Although he seemed to get his second wind in the 12th and finish strong.

After the bell when Floyd was lifted on shoulders he shouts something like "woooo that boy can fight!"

It's written all over his face how tough a fight he'd had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
          One of my all time favorites. I saw PBF Floyd that night. It's odd how Floyd rocked Cotto hard but Canelo could barely dent Cotto.
          Nah, Canelo shook up Cotto earlier and more often and more overall than Floyd did. Miguel is just a master of masking his trauma in the ring after all the early experience he had against Corley, Torres, Judah and others.

Cotto has been hurt many, many times in fights and most people in the world would never realize it looking at him but you can see his aggressiveness drop off and see him slow down slightly if you understand what you're looking at.

To me Cotto vs. Canelo was much closer than people thought. The only reason Canelo "won" was because of his superior strength. If Cotto had been the physically superior guy he would have won that match in a fashion few people could have disputed.

Comment

• Floyd lost the fight clearly.

Comment

Working...
            X