No announcement yet.

Mexico vs Puerto Rico Rivalry Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    I think Mexico is ahead when it comes to the really big fights between champions. It seems like they win more often than not. Mexico is hard to beat for lots of great fighters. My favorite boxer from Puerto Rico was Trinidad. My favorite Mexican boxer was Jose Napoles who is Cuban but moved to Mexico permanently and fought his whole career there. Canelo, Santa Cruz and Marquez are also my favorites. It's a great rivalry.
    Napoles had around 40 fights in Cuba first but yeah once he defected he fought out of Mexico.

Such a graceful fighter. He is so much more entertaining than the stereotypical Cuban boxer.

Comment

Mexico.. the most recent big match was Margarito-cotto. It was so satisfying to watch Cotto get beat down ..

Mexico is ahead by a huge margin

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
        It's really hard to hate on Trinidad. He brought determination, power and fought like a shark in every damn fight. I haven't been a big fan of a lot of Puerto Rican fighters but Trinidad was a major reason I became a boxing fan. The guy ruled the ring for a years.
        Word.
        And he called out AND fought everyone that was anyone. He even went up to 170ish to fight Roy jones. They don’t make en like that anymore

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
          I think Mexico is ahead when it comes to the really big fights between champions. It seems like they win more often than not. Mexico is hard to beat for lots of great fighters. My favorite boxer from Puerto Rico was Trinidad. My favorite Mexican boxer was Jose Napoles who is Cuban but moved to Mexico permanently and fought his whole career there. Canelo, Santa Cruz and Marquez are also my favorites. It's a great rivalry.
          Yes it is. It's got tons of history. I thought the Salido fights with Juanma were fun as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
            Mexico.. the most recent big match was Margarito-cotto. It was so satisfying to watch Cotto get beat down ..

Mexico is ahead by a huge margin
            It's closer than you'd think..the biggest Mexico-Puerto Rico matches ever

Gomez-Zarate
            Gomez-Pintor
            Sanchez-Gomez
            Ortiz-Ramos I & II- (Cuban born Mexican national)
            Chavez-Rosario
            Chavez-Camacho
            Benitez-Palamino
            Trinidad-Vargas
            Trinidad-De La Hoya (Mexican American)
            Margarito-Cotto I & II (first one if iffy)

That's 8-4 PR (4-4 if not counting DLH, Vargas, Ramos)

Then on the smaller scale Juanma-Rafa, Juanma-Salido, Calderon-Cazares, Segura-Calderon, Trinidad-Campas
            That's 4-4

Too bad Marquez, Barrera, Morales didn't have a true Puerto Rican rival to square off with I think would have raised their popularity even more.

Comment

[QUOTE=chrisJS;18216556]It's closer than you'd think..the biggest Mexico-Puerto Rico matches ever

Gomez-Zarate
              Gomez-Pintor
              Sanchez-Gomez
              Chavez-Rosario
              Chavez-Camacho
              Benitez-Palamino
              Trinidad-Vargas

Then on the smaller scale Juanma-Rafa, Juanma-Salido, Calderon-Cazares, Segura-Calderon, Trinidad-Campas
              That's 4-4

Too bad Marquez, Barrera, Morales didn't have a true Puerto Rican rival to square off with I think would have raised their popularity even more.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame that they didn't. They ran over some lower class PR guys but never had a rival between them which is pretty odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
                Word.
                And he called out AND fought everyone that was anyone. He even went up to 170ish to fight Roy jones. They don’t make en like that anymore
                Fearless for sure.

And so damn entertaining.

Only the Bhop and Winky fights were boring for me. Tito always delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                  Fearless for sure.

And so damn entertaining.

Only the Bhop and Winky fights were boring for me. Tito always delivered.
                  That’s very true. But only because Hopkins and wright used their size advantage in a defensive fashion. They both were very conservative against Tito which coupled with their size advantage turn out to be a good strategy for them. Boring however. But they were intelligent enough to know that despite size advantage, Tito was very heavy handed. They were smart in not testing him.
                  Last edited by Don Pichardo; 11-19-2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                    Head to head matches it's probably Puerto Rico because there's simply more Mexican fighters so therefore more average fighters. Best vs. best it's about even. Mexico has obviously produced more champions and hall of famers (120m ppl vs. 3.5m) but Puerto Rico has some outstanding fighters in the hall of fame and in Carlos Ortiz probably the best fighter between the two countries.

My favorites are - Trinidad-Vargas (sort of PR-Mex), Gomez-Pintor, Sanchez-Gomez and Rosario-Ramirez II.
                    What are you talking about?

Carlos ortiz was not better than Chávez, Márquez, Sánchez, Morales, Barrera, López or Oscar.

And better fighters vs better fighters México is clearly on the head.

All these stars of Puerto Rico were punished by mexicans:

-Wilfredo Gómez.

-Héctor Camacho.

-Wilfredo Benítez (huge robbery vs Palomino).

-Edwin Rosario.

-Miguel Cotto.

-Iván Calderón.

-Juan Manuel López.

-Tito Trinidad (another huge robbery vs Oscar).

Best wins of Puerto Rico are Zárate and Pintor.

And then Sánchez destroyed Gómez
                    Last edited by Mexican_Puppet; 11-18-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                      It's closer than you'd think..the biggest Mexico-Puerto Rico matches ever

Gomez-Zarate
                      Gomez-Pintor
                      Sanchez-Gomez
                      Chavez-Rosario
                      Chavez-Camacho
                      Benitez-Palamino
                      Trinidad-Vargas

That's 4-4

Too bad Marquez, Barrera, Morales didn't have a true Puerto Rican rival to square off with I think would have raised their popularity even more.
                      Hahahaha man, you are unobjective.

How can you put JuanMa vs Rafa, a very shot and old Rafa? Following your logic put Canelo schooling Cotto.

And the Palomino vs Benítez and Tito vs Oscar were total robberies and all the objetive world knows that.

Ramos? he was cuban.

And the fight of Cotto vs Margarito II is trash, Margarito was clearly shot.

Why dont talk about the Cotto vs Canelo?

Cazares vs Calderon but not Ricardo Lopez vs Nene Sanchez? Lol

México is clearly on the head.

The only superior boxing is U.S.A.

USA and Mexico are the kings of this Sport with good difference
                      Last edited by Mexican_Puppet; 11-18-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X