No announcement yet.

Greatest ever Welsh boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest ever Welsh boxer

I guess not many have given this much thought but I have!

I'm torn between 2: Jimmy Wilde and Freddie Welsh.

Jimmy Wilde “The Ghost With a Hammer in His Hand” became World Flyweight champion in 1916, 1st defeating Joe Symonds for the IBU belt and then becoming universally accepted as World Champ after defeating Young Zulu Kid he was recognised as champion until his defeat to P:ancho Villa in 1923. He beat Hall of Famer Joe Lynch twice andwent 1-1 with another Hall of Famer Memphis Pal Moore. Ring Magazine rated him the best flyweight of all time and also their 3rd gretatest puncher of all time. He was elected to the Boxing Hall of Fame in 1990.

Freddie Welsh was Lightweight World Champion from 1914 to 1917, argueably the toughest era in boxings historically deepest division. He fought the hardest competition of ANY Welsh and probably British fighter clashing with Benny Leonard 3 times, Al Wolgast 3 times, Packie McFarland twice, Jim Driscoll twice, as well as Battling Nelson, Abe Attell, Johnny Dundee, Rocky Kansas, Charley White, Willie Ritchie and Johnny Kilbane. Contemporary observers considered him one of the greatest defensive fighters of all-time. He was rated the 12th best lightweight ever by Ring magazine in 2001 (I personally think he should be in the top 10). He was elected to the Boxing Hall of Fame in 1997.

What do you guys think? Who is greater out of these 2? Or is it someone else? Jim Driscoll? Howard Winstone? Or even Joe Calzaghe? What's your opinions?

Steve Collins!

Comment

I am not gonna lie- I think Jimmy Wilde MIGHT be overrated. When you take a closer look at his record you see he fought 90 % "bums". (not meant to be disrespectful)
      Or let's say it like this: if other really good boxers would have fought the competition Jimmy Wilde fought, they would have the same record or a much better record.

Comment

Originally posted by raskat View Post
        I am not gonna lie- I think Jimmy Wilde MIGHT be overrated. When you take a closer look at his record you see he fought 90 % "bums". (not meant to be disrespectful)
        Or let's say it like this: if other really good boxers would have fought the competition Jimmy Wilde fought, they would have the same record or a much better record.
        I used to think you were knowledgeable, looks like you don't have the slightest clue. BoxRec does this to a lot of people, makes them look like idiots. Seek information elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinC View Post
          Steve Collins!
          He's Irish....

Comment

He doesn't deserve the accolade of Greatest ever Welsh boxer but Tommy Farr deserves mention as one of Wales' best.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
              I used to think you were knowledgeable, looks like you don't have the slightest clue. BoxRec does this to a lot of people, makes them look like idiots. Seek information elsewhere.
              You look incredibly good for an 100 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by raskat View Post
                Boxrec warriors unite.

I thought Jimmy Wilde was from Great Britain?
                Last edited by SBleeder; 12-31-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                  Boxrec warriors unite.

Wales is in Great Britain.

As is Scotland, and England.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post

Geography was the greatest thing out of Britain, undefeated record against Americans and likes to travel.

Comment

Working...
                    X