Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think it's safe to say, Mayweather has probably the best defence in boxing history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it's safe to say, Mayweather has probably the best defence in boxing history

We can all talk about Willie Pep, Pernell Whitaker and Sugar Ray Robinson. Worth mentioning Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, Jack Johnson and Nicolino Locche.

But Mayweather is the greatest defensive fighter we have ever seen. He approaches not getting hit with the mental dexterity of a savant, and is head and shoulders beyond anyone else in the history of the sport.
    It was shocking to see Shane Mosley actually hit him cleanly, let alone rock him badly. But all Mayweather did for the rest of the night was become Mariano Rivera, and close him out.

Whatever your feelings on Floyd, he's an unquestioned all-time great and one of the greatest fighters to have ever lived.

He's an extremely athletic blend of Roy Jones and James Toney, with an emphasis on defense first and foremost.

I don't think any serious boxing fan questions his talent.

The problem with Floyd is that he probably questions his own talent more than the fans. I believe he could beat the fighters he supposedly avoided but obviously he may not have 100% believed it or put business first.

As far as ability goes, he would have been great in any era of boxing. But has he dared to be great and done all he can to make certain fights happen? Don't get me wrong, he has a lot of great names on his resume, no matter what stage of their careers, to go through those names and not slip up and have a bad night in 47 fights and approaching 40 is incredible. I just feel there's more he could have done to cement himself as one of the greatest. Ability wise, he probably is up there with the best. As far as fighting spirit and the willingness to leave no questions about your legacy, i think he could have done more.

Comment

Arguable but yes he's definitely in the conversation.

Comment

The thread subject says he probably has the best defence in history, yet in the first post you claim he's head and shoulders beyond anyone else?

I doubt it tbh, anyone who gets rocked by a shot Shane Mosley shouldn't be in the conversation.

Comment

arguably he does, roy jones, at his prime, lol, that is my top, lol,

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post
            The thread subject says he probably has the best defence in history, yet in the first post you claim he's head and shoulders beyond anyone else?

I doubt it tbh, anyone who gets rocked by a shot Shane Mosley shouldn't be in the conversation.
            How does one go about summoning that stupidity?

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post

Seriously? I rate pernell a bit higher and he got rocked by lesser fighters. So was benitez and other defensive greats.

Comment

Well clearly I am not a fan but yes, Mayweather DID have the best defence in boxing history.

However his latest fight showed it breached by a somewhat average opponent.

I shudder to think how easily a faster opponent like Khan could land on him now.

And break out into a smile at how easily MAnny would punch his lights out now too!! =P

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
                  Well clearly I am not a fan but yes, Mayweather DID have the best defence in boxing history.

However his latest fight showed it breached by a somewhat average opponent.

I shudder to think how easily a faster opponent like Khan could land on him now.

And break out into a smile at how easily MAnny would punch his lights out now too!! =P
                  Tell me, when was the last time Manny punched someone's lights out? The delusions of Pac fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Shmurda View Post
                    Tell me, when was the last time Manny punched someone's lights out? The delusions of Pac fans.
                    Pac has climbed several weight classes. He's still a harder puncher than Floyd!

There has never in the history of boxing been a fighter that has combined the power, speed, workrate and fury and heart compressed into 1 little fighter.

Floyd knows it's unbeatable, otherwise he'd fight him!

If he's degraded at all since those times, he is clearly still whacking guys around now.

How's Floyd doing lately?

Getting pasted by Maidana, (Manny LITE)

Comment

Working...
                    X