No announcement yet.

Is the WBSS in financial trouble?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the WBSS in financial trouble?

Ring TV said that fighters haven't been paid their bonuses and that the tournament is in danger of being cancelled.

What's going on? They got picked up by DAZN so there shouldn't be any money issues you would think.

PBC's Coppinger said they were in financial trouble, then 24 hours later Kalle refuted it. Inoue vs Rodriguez is close to done https://3kingsboxing.com/inoue-speaks-next-fight/

Comment

Idk what to make of that Coppinger tweet.

Has anyone confirmed they haven't been paid?

And from what I recall nerding out on all the WBSS news when they had their first pressers I seem to recall Sauerland or one of those company guys behind WBSS that they were bankrolled for 2 years from the get go.

So based on that its surprising there are rumors like this. Although who really knows how valid the rumor is so it could just be bs if no one is saying they've not been paid yet. If some of the non-paid are among the quarterfinal losers I'd be surprised if all of them are keeping silent on it.

Comment

The finances went up Kalle's nose.

Comment

I really hope these rumours aren’t true. Sauerland denied them, but we haven’t heard any new date announcements since.

Huge shame if this went down the pan mid tourney.

I’m interested in all the weight classes, but especially 140 and 118. Some brilliant matchups on the horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            I really hope these rumours aren’t true. Sauerland denied them, but we haven’t heard any new date announcements since.

Huge shame if this went down the pan mid tourney.

I’m interested in all the weight classes, but especially 140 and 118. Some brilliant matchups on the horizon.
            Yeah, this tournament format has been a good thing for boxing.

You wouldn't want to see it go down or fail.

Comment

The other day Ryan Martin’s manager was bugging Kalle for owed money on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Idk what to make of that Coppinger tweet.

Has anyone confirmed they haven't been paid?

And from what I recall nerding out on all the WBSS news when they had their first pressers I seem to recall Sauerland or one of those company guys behind WBSS that they were bankrolled for 2 years from the get go.

So based on that its surprising there are rumors like this. Although who really knows how valid the rumor is so it could just be bs if no one is saying they've not been paid yet. If some of the non-paid are among the quarterfinal losers I'd be surprised if all of them are keeping silent on it.
                Far as I've been able to tell Ryan Martin claims he still ain't been paid (that was a week or two ago) and I think that's how this news may have kicked off in early December, but it's unclear whether it effects anyone else in the tourney. I haven't heard specific details of any other fighter having said similar, but the few reports out seem to talk about Several fighters not being paid so it ain't clear. Bit more dubious cos not only does it not name any other fighters involved it also doesn't give the names of any sources.. It does mention Roberto Delmiglio's name (for no apparent reason since he ain't quoted or anything) next to the words 'per sources' as if it's suggesting he is the source, but then it doesn't actually say he is or quote him, or indeed anyone else, in the entire article... now I ain't sneaky fucker but that kinda slippery use of language tends to get me wondering.

https://www.******.com/549581-world-...await-bonuses/

(ring tv)

Turmoil has been brewing behind the scenes among the board at Comosa AG, the group banking the tourney. At the heart of the issue: some investors have funded more than their promised share; others haven’t met their due, per sources. Roberto Dalmiglio, a former group commercial director at media rights company MP & Silva, is head of management board at Comosa.
                Several fighters are still waiting for their victory bonuses — some of them six figures — to be paid out from their quarterfinal bouts, according to sources. The win bonuses are stipulated in the contract, an incentive for fighters to enter the tourney. The first round of Season 2 completed in October.
                Could be genuine, could be sour grapes on Martin's part or you could see it as attempt at sabotage by someone who has an interest in seeing the WBSS fail if you got that kinda slippery mind that thinks that way.

Note though that the author is, once again, Coppinger.
                Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-06-2019, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                  Far as I've been able to tell Ryan Martin claims he still ain't been paid (that was a week or two ago
                  Is there a link to the tweet, video or article where Ryan talked about not being paid?

I'd be curious to check that out. F#cked up & a bad look for the WBSS if thats legit regardless if they are having money trouble or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Is there a link to the tweet, video or article where Ryan talked about not being paid?

I'd be curious to check that out. F#cked up & a bad look for the WBSS if thats legit regardless if they are having money trouble or not.
                    I can try and dig it out if you like - might have been Martin's manager or something put up a tweet - I think it was one that Motorcity Cobra dug up... best damn newshound around, that dude.

Ahh... here we go....

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=802389

Also some speculation around here that maybe Ryan's drug test failure was contributory, but best I can tell the man should have been paid before the results of tests came through... who knows. Mike Coppingers name coming up again though.

IDK - hard to tell. Maybe nothing but something doesn't quite sit right with the Coppinger article I referenced above and I edited my post to say so.

Whatever. Absolutely it ain't a good look if guys are complaining about not being paid.

Comment

Working...
                    X