Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did GBP even push for a real opponent in Sept?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did GBP even push for a real opponent in Sept?

Let’s go through everyone who was mentioned as a potential opponent for Canelo Alvarez in September.

I think this list shows GBP put absolutely no effort into securing an opponent for Canelo in September.

Sergey Kovalev- received an offer but it was too small to make it worth pushing the Anthony Yarde fight off the table.

Callum Smith- never received an offer and his team said they expected to be a candidate for a December fight and not a September fight when his name was first mentioned.

GGG- The two sides held negotiations early on but they stalled. Golden Boy floated the rumor that they pulled out because GGG didn’t want the fight in Vegas. Reports from GGG’s side said that wasn’t a sticking point, just a request.

Andrade- Mentioned as someone Canelo would consider for September but he never received an offer.

Munguia- Received an offer but was apparently turned down as a potential fight by DAZN

That isn't true about Andrade. Golden Boy did send him an offer. Offers were also sent to WBO champion Demetrius Andrade and WBO 154-pound champion Jaime Munguia - but streaming service DAZN was most interested in a trilogy fight with Gennady Golovkin, who recently made his debut with the streaming service - but Canelo had little to no interest in facing Golovkin for a third time, at least right now.. https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-f...tponed--140945
    DAZN would only accept GGG or Kovalev as an opponent for September which is bull**** if you ask me.

Comment

It’s strange that they’d just let that date go. All that talk about may/sept being “his dates” since mayweather retired. I’d be kind of disappointed if I was Mexican tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
        It’s strange that they’d just let thatca date go. All that talk about may/sept being “his dates” since mayweather retired. I’d be kind of disappointed if I was Mexican tbh.
        Canelo wants to run the show and he doesn't want to fight Golovkin again. Those are two reasons. He didn't offer Kovalev enough money that would allow him to get out of his obligations.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
          Canelo wants to run the show and he doesn't want to fight Golovkin again. Those are two reasons. He didn't offer Kovalev enough money that would allow him to get out of his obligations.
          I don’t wanna say there could be something else too it, but it seemed like really halfhearted attempts all around. They had months to secure an opponent and nothing but a bunch of name dropping and distraction. Let the wild speculation begin...

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneMosleySr View Post
            Let’s go through everyone who was mentioned as a potential opponent for Canelo Alvarez in September.

I think this list shows GBP put absolutely no effort into securing an opponent for Canelo in September.

Sergey Kovalev- received an offer but it was too small to make it worth pushing the Anthony Yarde fight off the table.

Callum Smith- never received an offer and his team said they expected to be a candidate for a December fight and not a September fight when his name was first mentioned.

GGG- The two sides held negotiations early on but they stalled. Golden Boy floated the rumor that they pulled out because GGG didn’t want the fight in Vegas. Reports from GGG’s side said that wasn’t a sticking point, just a request.

Andrade- Mentioned as someone Canelo would consider for September but he never received an offer.

Munguia- Received an offer but was apparently turned down as a potential fight by DAZN

ummm, is that an accurate breakdown of what happened..... ?

then they made Kovalev two additional offers

it sounds like ridiculous money..... money that Kovalev has never, and will never, come close to earning again

which is nothing like the situation you just described..... where Canelo supposedly went through the motions, but was never serious

if Canelo selects Kovalev for December, it will mean that there was not one word of truth in your post

Smith appeared to be a back-up only... which is not really surprising

I simply do not believe that..... link ?

I do not believe that Canelo ever considered fighting Golovkin

they absolutely DID approach Andrade, as confirmed by Eddie Hearn himself..... the ONLY report I recall reading, is that DAZN were not interested in approving Andrade

not sure how much truth is in that evaluation tbh

Comment

They did send an offer to Andrade and he was quoted as saying money wouldn’t be an issue to get a Canelo fight.
              DAZN said no as they were trying to force a GGG fight after Kovalev was off the table.
              I’d be pissed if I was Andrade and his team. He signed with DAZN to get a shot at Canelo and they kept it from happening.

Comment

Working...
              X