No announcement yet.

Virgil Hunter: "I'm not worried about SIZE, I'm worried about SPEED"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
    While I understand his position, how many top guys has Danny Garcia knocked out? How many top guys has Prescott knocked out?

He's bringing up guys like Hatton and Rhodes Canelo was 20 years old for those fights and still developing physically and otherwise.
    He gave a well reasoned response. Did you listen to the interview? He explained that Amir didn't those punches against Garcia and Prescott but saw the right hand by Maidana, who's a bigger puncher, and was able to take it. We all know it's the punch you never see that knocks you out.

Comment

Khan needs to listen to Hunter

Comment

That Angulo story was hilarious

Comment

Damn, Hunter threw Angulo under the bus! "Angulo's a dead man." That's about the worst thing I've heard a trainer say about his fighter. He tried to clean it up by later saying Alfredo kept coming forward when Canelo hit him, but the damage was already done.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
            He gave a well reasoned response. Did you listen to the interview? He explained that Amir didn't those punches against Garcia and Prescott but saw the right hand by Maidana, who's a bigger puncher, and was able to take it. We all know it's the punch you never see that knocks you out.
            I did listen, but it's an excuse.

He saw the Prescott punches clearly.

It's also an excuse about Angulo, taking any blame from himself.

Comment

One thing; Hunter said that most of the guys that Canelo Ko'd were smaller. Isn't Khan effectively coming up two weight classes? He's only had 3 fights @ WW. He's primarily a SLW.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                I did listen, but it's an excuse.

He saw the Prescott punches clearly.

It's also an excuse about Angulo, taking any blame from himself.
                He didn't blame Angulo for losing. He blamed Angulo for a poor outing because he knew they were looking to pick Angulo and set him up. He told Angulo ahead of time they were gonna pick him so get in the gym. They did exactly what Virgil said they would do. They called the gym to find out if Angulo was putting in work and when they found out he wasn't they scheduled a fight with him with a short camp. Again, he's not blaming Angulo for losing but for the poor showing and not listening to him beforehand. Virgil knows how the game is played and that's evidenced by them doing exactly what he told Angulo they would do.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
                  One thing; Hunter said that most of the guys that Canelo Ko'd were smaller. Isn't Khan effectively coming up two weight classes? He's only had 3 fights @ WW. He's primarily a SLW.
                  No he said Khan was weighing 160 and above, i don't think Lopez weighs anywhere close that.

He also said in another interview that he wasnt happy about the fight when he first heard about it. He sent Tony Brady to work with Khan for 8 weeks, and when Khan returned back to the US, he had grown considerably bigger, but his abs were still showing, which in turn gave Virgil confidence about that job at hand.

The size is being overplayed, Khan will look much bigger than Lopez and Cotto come fight night

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
                    He didn't blame Angulo for losing. He blamed Angulo for a poor outing because he knew they were looking to pick Angulo and set him up. He told Angulo ahead of time they were gonna pick him so get in the gym. They did exactly what Virgil said they would do. They called the gym to find out if Angulo was putting in work and when they found out he wasn't they scheduled a fight with him with a short camp. Again, he's not blaming Angulo for losing but for the poor showing and not listening to him beforehand. Virgil knows how the game is played and that's evidenced by them doing exactly what he told Angulo they would do.
                    That's all according to him.

Crediting himself and blaming others, I'm not buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
                      No he said Khan was weighing 160 and above, i don't think Lopez weighs anywhere close that.

He also said in another interview that he wasnt happy about the fight when he first heard about it. He sent Tony Brady to work with Khan for 8 weeks, and when Khan returned back to the US, he had grown considerably bigger, but his abs were still showing, which in turn gave Virgil confidence about that job at hand.

The size is being overplayed, Khan will look much bigger than Lopez and Cotto come fight night
                      Khan not only looks smaller than Alvarez, he also looks shook.

Comment

Working...
                      X