No announcement yet.

Kevin Iole Inside Information and Article on Glove debacle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Iole Inside Information and Article on Glove debacle

Dispute over choice of gloves finally ends, Mayweather-Maidana title fight is a go

LAS VEGAS --The crazy dispute between Floyd Mayweather and Marcos Maidana over which boxing gloves Maidana could wear was resolved overnight and their pay-per-view bout for the WBA and WBC welterweight titles at the MGM Grand is on.

That was hardly unexpected, as the controversy seems yet another attempt by Mayweather to get into Maidana's head.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said he spoke to Mayweather advisor Al Haymon, who confirmed the bout is on. Schaefer said Mayweather will wear Grant gloves, while Maidana will fight in Everlast. Schaefer did not know specifically which brand of Everlast Maidana will wear, though the Nevada Athletic Commission had approved a stock pair of red Everlast MX gloves.

The commission on Friday had ruled that a pair of custom blue Everlast MX gloves were invalid and couldn't be worn. Mayweather claimed there was no padding in the knuckles of those gloves.

"Al assured me this is over and we're going forward with the fight," Schaefer said.

Everlast CEO Neil Morton defended his company's manufacturing process for the boxing gloves and said he believes the dispute was simply a case of Mayweather seeking a psychological edge.

Morton said the custom gloves are manufactured exactly the same way as the stock gloves and the only difference is a different color of leather is used. He said he is willing to cut the gloves open to prove that to anyone who questions the validity. He said he didn't understand why the custom gloves were ruled invalid.

However, it could be that the commission was simply trying to broker a deal and placate Mayweather, given that the stock red gloves had been approved.

"Nothing changes in the process from glove to glove," Morton said.

He said that when a fighter such as Maidana wants to wear Everlast gloves in a custom color, leather is found that most closely approximates the color the fighter wants. He said there is what he calls a tech pack for each model of glove Everlast produces.

That tech pack has the gloves specifications and ensures they're all identical, Morton said.

"The process is very simple," he said. "The athlete says, 'I would like this glove in this color with this artwork on it.' In this case, Maidana wanted to wear an Argentine blue color and I think maybe he wanted them with the flag on it. That, I can't quite remember. But then we put a Pantone color on it, we attach it to our tech pack and we send it to the factor and ask them to produce 6 to 10 pairs of the MX gloves using our tech pack in this Pantone."

Morton had nothing bad to say about Mayweather despite the dispute.

"Floyd is the greatest fighter of my time and maybe the greatest of all-time and if he feels this is what he needs to do to gain a psychological edge, that's fine and I have no problem with it," Morton said.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing...163329449.html

"However, it could be that the commission was simply trying to broker a deal and placate Mayweather, given that the stock red gloves had been approved."

We thought about this too. Cause we know Floyd has Vegas in his pocket.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
      "However, it could be that the commission was simply trying to broker a deal and placate Mayweather, given that the stock red gloves had been approved."

We thought about this too. Cause we know Floyd has Vegas in his pocket.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
      This is as clear as day what happened. I was saying exactly that all along.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
          Ya, lets get the "Grant" guy's opinion on Everlasts gloves.

I'm sure Maidana wearing his Grant gloves wouldn't benefit him.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Slider View Post
            Ya, lets get the "Grant" guy's opinion on Everlasts gloves.

I'm sure Maidana wearing his Grant gloves wouldn't benefit him.
            And vice versa. You really think the CEO of Everlast will say anything to discredit the company he runs?

Comment

Fact is The Commission ruled the pair of gloves Maidana originally wanted to use were defects, thus he's not allowed to wear his custom batch, the padding was poorly distributed - who wants to get punched by Maidana, while he wears poorly padded gloves?

He is allowed to wear stock Everlast gloves, to which Floyd also protested, not sure why, maybe to simply piss Maidana off, or to get his own way or to create some controversy, but the commission overruled

case closed
              Last edited by FrankieBruno; 05-03-2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

And vice versa. You really think the CEO of Everlast will say anything to discredit the company he runs?
                Facts vs Opinion. Pretty simple.

Comment

It wouldn't discredit Everlast at all for them to say "Maidana ordered a different model with less padding".

But he didn't. He ordered a normal MX model with a different model # because of a custom color scheme and the commission said since those are technically "custom", just wear the packaged red ones.

The fact that Everlast is willing to provide technical/legal evidence really suggests that, like virtually everyone involved is saying, Mayweather was just trying to make Maidana lose sleep over the fight not happening.

Comment

it was just some last minute mind games and hype

Comment

Working...
                    X