No announcement yet.

B.J. Penn to return against Nik Lentz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.J. Penn to return against Nik Lentz

B.J. Penn is getting another shot at Octagon glory, this time against a fighter who has had bad blood with him for years.

The former two-division UFC champion will fight Nik Lentz in a lightweight bout at a date and location to be determined later. Penn and Lentz confirmed the news following an initial report by TSN, citing UFC president Dana White.

In his last eight appearances, Penn, 40, has gone 0-7-1. He most recently lost a unanimous decision to Clay Guida at UFC 237 and has not won a fight since defeating Matt Hughes in November 2010. His pro record sits at 16-14-2.

Penn was one of the most dominant fighters in his prime, capturing both the welterweight and lightweight titles, the latter of which he successfully defended three consecutive times.

Lentz (30-10-2, 1 NC) has won two of his last three fights, though in his last fight he was defeated by second-round TKO in a trilogy bout with Charles Oliveira. Prior to that, he scored back-to-back wins over Scott Holtzman and Gray Maynard.

Penn and Lentz publicly feuded in 2016, though a fight between the two never materialized.

Watch the video above for a recap of the past beef between the two lightweights.

Penn is going to get hurt real bad one of these times.He hasn’t been competitive for quite awhile.His lone victory in almost ten years was in a bar fight.

Comment

Why does Penn want to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
        Why does Penn want to do this?
        He's had legal troubles. Really sad the way this guy's career went. I was never a fan but "The Prodigy" should have been set. Dude was dominant for so long. Had his chance to retire with an incredible record and go on to coach, run his extensive website, etc. Couldn't keep it together though.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          He's had legal troubles. Really sad the way this guy's career went. I was never a fan but "The Prodigy" should have been set. Dude was dominant for so long. Had his chance to retire with an incredible record and go on to coach, run his extensive website, etc. Couldn't keep it together though.
          Ahh, that sucks when fighters didn’t properly invest into their retirement from fighting and have to keep doing it when they’re way past it.

Comment

isn't Penn from a rather well off background as well? I don't see how he got himself into such financial issues to the point of having to be a Shamrock, Liddell, Ortiz etc. fighter who can't stay out of the cage.

Comment

Penn's heyday was before the UFC even became profitable(2005) so paydays really weren't that great until after that. His last title fight was 9 years ago so I'm not surprised if he is really in financial straits. I've heard he has never been too popular in his native Hawaii and he was never fan friendly.

Comment

wtf?? why is dana allowing bj to keep on fighting??? cut the mofo already. this is the only way to get him to stop fghting.. at least in the ufc.

Comment

I was shocked when I heard this news... dam

Comment

Working...
                  X