Golovkin's Shift

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
    no.
    throw a right hand, and move ur right foot forward to be infront of ur left foot.
    Margarito would do this as well

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
      Is that not just the common art of throwing a punch?? each punch shifts into another punch?
      Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
      so switching paws???aka switch hitting?
      Watch the video on it larry

Comment

margarito did this as well. probably one of the reasons floyd wanted none of him. margarito would follow through with his punches and not just remain in front of floyd to counter or roll shots. marg would be on top of him while floyd was trying to do his cutesy defense. good duck in hindsight.

Comment

Larry so Smart

Comment

Larry still confused even though there was a previous thread on it before. Playing dumb?

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
              A long lost art from boxing the shift or "Fitzsimmons shift." This is where a fighter would shift his weight and step forward with punches much the way many fighters did in the pre-WWII era including Jack Dempsey and Stanley Ketchel. There have not been too many fighters in recent years who have done the shift. Roberto Duran did it and clearly it helped him. A few fighters I have seen doing it today are Dmitry Pirog and of course, Gennady Golovkin.

For those who think Golovkin is just a big banger, it's not his power that is so impressive. It's his foot work in the ring and how he places opponents where he wants them with faints and shifting. This technique is great for the ring and I'm glad to see it return with this guy's arsenal. He will be one tough guy to beat in years to come.
              So what you're saying is you watched this video.

Were you going to plagiarize the whole thing for us or do you have any thoughts of your own on the matter?

P.S. The Fitzsimmons shift is just one variant in a near endless possibility of shift moves.
              Last edited by Mikhnienko; 09-20-2014, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Great video

I was not looking to plagiarize. Just sharing the knowledge from it. I tried to post the video myself but I don't have enough posts on here yet. I thought it was very cool because I remember hearing about the technique years ago but never saw any fighter using it besides Duran and now Golovkin and a few others are. I think it could be highly beneficial especially to inside fighters to bridge the gap against guys who move a lot. Of course, I think it has to be used at the right times. A guy could get caught and hurt if used the wrong way, but I have seen Golovkin use it very well and I really think his abilities with his footwork are where he gets his power and abilities to have his opponents in the right position to deliver hard blows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
                  So what you're saying is you watched this video.

Were you going to plagiarize the whole thing for us or do you have any thoughts of your own on the matter?

P.S. The Fitzsimmons shift is just one variant in a near endless possibility of shift moves.
                  This technique was and is used by the "old Soviet school"... Anyway: only naturally gifted athletes are able to effectively display it.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                    A lot of Soviet fighters do it from Chakhkiev to Golovkin, Lomachenko, Pirog and so on.

The thing with ''shifting'' (horrible incorrect term thrown around by an idiot trying to sound like he knows what he is talking about) is knowing when to do it same as switch-hitting. ''Shifting'' to close is a great way to get knocked senseless especially with your momentum coming forward.

A lot of what I see pieced together is not ''shifting'' its called overextending. Its not a skill its a very dangerous flaw. I believe it was this exact flaw people are trying to masque as a forgotten art or skill that got Froch seated by Groves.
                    1. haha @ idiot trying to sound like he knows his ****. completely agree. one of those things that pisses me off. over analyzing **** lol.
                    2. its called overextending, i suppose i prefer this term over shifting.
                    3. dangerous flaw, COMPLETELY DISAGREE. there are almost no nevers and no always. u need to know when to use it. all about timing..
                    4. froch seated by groves, that's froch's poor "timing". he just runs around chin first with his fists behind him waiting to catapult away.

conclusion:
                    1 "overextending/shifting" is good if u know ur positioning/footwork/timing.
                    2 ppl are not taught to do this because its hard to teach a person to know when to do it and when its not safe. u simply need experience...
                    and beginners are told not to, because they have no ****ing experience/clue, and LOSE BALANCE by donig this.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                      1. haha @ idiot trying to sound like he knows his ****. completely agree. one of those things that pisses me off. over analyzing **** lol.
                      2. its called overextending, i suppose i prefer this term over shifting.
                      3. dangerous flaw, COMPLETELY DISAGREE. there are almost no nevers and no always. u need to know when to use it. all about timing..
                      4. froch seated by groves, that's froch's poor "timing". he just runs around chin first with his fists behind him waiting to catapult away.

conclusion:
                      1 "overextending/shifting" is good if u know ur positioning/footwork/timing.
                      2 ppl are not taught to do this because its hard to teach a person to know when to do it and when its not safe. u simply need experience...
                      and beginners are told not to, because they have no ****ing experience/clue, and LOSE BALANCE by donig this.
                      Good post.

Comment

Working...
                      X