No announcement yet.

The downfall of Victor Ortiz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The downfall of Victor Ortiz

In 2009 Ortiz was promoted by golden boy as the next big future superstar of boxing. And then Ortiz met Maidana, was this fight the downfall of victor ortiz? Or was the ***** already there in ortiz' armor that would have been exposed eventually by someone else if maidana didnt do it? Was his heart ever 100% in boxing to begin with?

Ortiz was never very good. It's as simple as that. Ortiz and Berto show how much mileage you can get out of two hype jobs under the same promotional umbrella.

Comment

Maidana just exposed his weak heart.

He's then go on to show it against every single decent fighter he's fought since with the exception of Berto 1.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Maidana just exposed his weak heart.

He's then go on to show it against every single decent fighter he's fought since with the exception of Berto 1.
        It's his skill level too. He's a flat track bully who only looks good when the opponent can't handle his athleticism. Any bit of a bump in the road at all and he falls apart. He is and always was a basic and limited fighter.

Comment

One of my biggest problems with him is his technique. His footwork, positioning and balance is all ****ed up.

It really looks to me as if he wants to naturally turn righty all the time. He squares himself up all the time, brings his back foot forward nearly every time he throws the left hand...his whole concept to which way he wants to fight and what he wants to do seems confused.

He's a bit like Bru...Caitlyn Jenner in that he dresses like a chick, wears makeup like a chick and has some girl bits glued on, but still has all the other essentials of a man. It's just a mish mash of everything and all very confusing.

I seriously think that has been a huge problem of his for a long, long time. Most of his knockdowns are due to him being out of position because he's squared himself up, or he's brought his back foot as if wanting to turn into a right handed stance. It's ****ing weird, a bit like my ****ty analogy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
            It's his skill level too. He's a flat track bully who only looks good when the opponent can't handle his athleticism. Any bit of a bump in the road at all and he falls apart. He is and always was a basic and limited fighter.
            His skill set requires heart. He used to be a come forward fighter with fast hand, good power, and good footwork. This style is very easy to hit, but he can't stand the heat. You give him Maidana's or Bradley's heart and desire and we're talking something special

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
              His skill set requires heart. He used to be a come forward fighter with fast hand, good power, and good footwork. This style is very easy to hit, but he can't stand the heat. You give him Maidana's or Bradley's heart and desire and we're talking something special
              I definitely agree to an extent. If he had more balls he would probably be able to beat a higher level of opponent. But for me there's more to it. The difference between Maidana and Ortiz is more than just heart.

There is no intelligence, inventiveness, or variety in what Ortiz does. Look at how Maidana disguised the left hook against Broner. Look at how he backed Floyd up by feinting the jab to the body or the chopping overhand right.

There is none of that in Ortiz. He either steps in with the straight left, or ducks down and comes up with the left hook. That's literally all he has got. Any opponent who can push him back or time him with a jab has him beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                I definitely agree to an extent. If he had more balls he would probably be able to beat a higher level of opponent. But for me there's more to it. The difference between Maidana and Ortiz is more than just heart.

There is no intelligence, inventiveness, or variety in what Ortiz does. Look at how Maidana disguised the left hook against Broner. Look at how he backed Floyd up by feinting the jab to the body or the chopping overhand right.

There is none of that in Ortiz. He either steps in with the straight left, or ducks down and comes up with the left hook. That's literally all he has got. Any opponent who can push him back or time him with a jab has him beat.
                You're definitely not wrong. He was never great at setting up his shots. His boxing IQ is very low, but his natural ability is so good that I think, just like you said, he would've been able to beat a higher level of opponent

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                  One of my biggest problems with him is his technique. His footwork, positioning and balance is all ****ed up.

It really looks to me as if he wants to naturally turn righty all the time. He squares himself up all the time, brings his back foot forward nearly every time he throws the left hand...his whole concept to which way he wants to fight and what he wants to do seems confused.

He's a bit like Bru...Caitlyn Jenner in that he dresses like a chick, wears makeup like a chick and has some girl bits glued on, but still has all the other essentials of a man. It's just a mish mash of everything and all very confusing.

I seriously think that has been a huge problem of his for a long, long time. Most of his knockdowns are due to him being out of position because he's squared himself up, or he's brought his back foot as if wanting to turn into a right handed stance. It's ****ing weird, a bit like my ****ty analogy.
                  I always assumed he fought like that because he was a converted south paw.

Comment

Definitely crazy to think how hyped Ortiz was at one time & how things have went for him. I think the intention & opinion of Oscar was that Ortiz was going to be Canelo before he found Canelo. And looking back on his old fights he did have some impressive performances, but ultimately he lacked mental focus & at some point he just said f#ck boxing despite still being able to sell himself in the sport.

Slick Ricky Schaefer in 2009:
                    There is a lot a stake in the showdown between Victor Ortiz and Marcos Maidana. Maidana will definitely be Victor’s biggest challenge yet. A few weeks ago I watched Oscar de la Hoya retire from boxing, leaving everyone wondering ‘Who would fill his shoes?’ ‘Who would become that superstar?’ To be a superstar first you have to have the talent, then you have to be charming, have that perfect smile and you need to work to help the community. To become a superstar you have to have all these ingredients and Victor Ortiz has them all.”
                    http://www.wbanews.com/boxing-news/w...r#.VyYdsTArLIU

Comment

Working...
                    X