Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Time to Admit That The Lineal Champ System Does Not Work in Today's Era

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The champion-contender model is supposed to be one champion and a list of contenders. The champion can make voluntary defenses against ranked contenders until a clear #1 contender emerges as the mandatory. Right Noe Kovalev is the clear mandatory and if Stevenson doesn't fight him he should lose the label of a lineal champ.

That's how the system has always worked for all the sanctioning bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
      Mayweather, Pacquiao? Did Pacquiao ever avenge the savage knockout JMM laid on him? How Pacquiao belongs in any lineal conversation is beyond me comprehension?
      Pac has never been 'lineal' at 147. 112, 126, 130, and 140 he was but none of those now.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
        He gave more than one example.

Stevenson - Kovalev
        Cotto - Golovkin
        Mayweather - Pacquiao

I'm sure there are probably more, Huck-Hernandez?
        Floyd at 154 is the better example. He hasn't fought at the weight in over a year.

Comment

Mayweather, Pacquiao? Did Pacquiao ever avenge the savage knockout JMM laid on him? How Pacquiao belongs in any lineal conversation is beyond me comprehension?
          Look at the thread, PBP posted:

It's Time to Admit That The Lineal Champ System Does Not Work in Today's Era Reply to Thread

Especially when the recognized champion doesn't fight the #1 contender.
          Isn't it just another case where the lineal champ hasn't fought the #1 ranked contender? (and "other" champion). Pacquiao beat the #2 guy this year so the question is open, the two top guys should fight to answer it.

TBR actually don't even have Floyd as the champ in the division, despite being lineal. http://www.tbrb.org/all-rankings/#147

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Floyd at 154 is the better example. He hasn't fought at the weight in over a year.
          He fought Alvarez though, who is listed as #1 contender in most places (even though he too has not fought there for over a year).
          Last edited by Weebler I; 11-09-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
            Look at the thread, PBP posted:

Isn't it just another case where the lineal champ hasn't fought the #1 ranked contender? (and "other" champion). Pacquiao beat the #2 guy this year so the question is open, the two top guys should fight to answer it.

TBR actually don't even have Floyd as the champ in the division, despite being lineal. http://www.tbrb.org/all-rankings/#147

He fought Alvarez though, who is listed as #1 contender in most places (even though he too has not fought there for over a year).
            That's because Floyd's initial lineage was retired and he hasn't fought a 1-2 match since 2009 by TBRB standards

Comment

pacquiao beat bradley who beat marquez.

marquez KO'ed pac and became #2 at welterweight and #3 p4p. bradley challenged and UD'ed marquez taking his place at #2 and pac beat bradley regaining his spot at #2.

plus marquez won't rematch pacquiao again. so there is no way for him to avenge that loss.

Comment

marquez KO'ed pac and became #2 at welterweight and #3 p4p. bradley challenged and UD'ed marquez taking his place at #2 and pac beat bradley regaining his spot at #2.

plus marquez won't rematch pacquiao again. so there is no way for him to avenge that loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post

There is no lineal champ at 147 though. Not until the big fight happens.

Comment

Working...
                  X