No announcement yet.

Roach "I want Khan to face Pacquiao"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach "I want Khan to face Pacquiao"

Amir Khan's trainer Freddie Roach is pushing for the boxer to step up from the light-welterweight division to take on Manny Pacquiao.

Controversial circumstances surrounded Saturday's WBA title defence where the technical points decision favoured Khan after opponent Paul McCloskey was cut by a clash of heads during the sixth round.

Roach now wants Khan to move up to 147lbs where he can take on stable-mate and good friend Pacquiao.

However first Khan will look to clean up in the light-welterweight division against Timothy Bradley.

Roach told The Sun: "I want Amir to unify the light-welterweight division by taking on WBC and WBO champ Timothy Bradley.

"Then I want him to move up to 147lbs and take on the big buys for big money. That's the plan we are working on.

"Fighting at 147 would suit me better. I'd be stronger, more powerful at welterweight."
    Amir Khan Quotes of the week

"I know Tim Bradley very well and he is one hell of a fighter, but I would put Amir in with him tomorrow and expect my boxer to win."

Roach believes the winner should then take on Pacquiao.

"Their fight will determine who is the best at 140lbs and then the winner should go up to 147 and take on Manny Pacquiao," he said. "That is my feeling."
    Powerful

Khan has previously said he would not fight his friend Pacman, but has since has a change of heart.

"Fighting at 147 would suit me better. I'd be stronger, more powerful at welterweight," he said.

"I'm hitting harder now so what would I be like if I stepped up a division?"

July 23 has been scheduled as the provisional date for a showdown with American Bradley, who is currently unbeaten in 27 fights.

"I am taking five weeks off and when I get back to LA and know it is Bradley I could be facing next, it will push me even further," said Khan.

Bradley defended his WBO and WBC belts with victory over Devon Alexander last time out - while he previously dethroned Britain's Junior Witter in 2008.

Khan would get stopped by Pacquiao unless Pac-Man went easy on his poor friend.

Comment

Originally posted by vcvc View Post
      Amir Khan's trainer Freddie Roach is pushing for the boxer to step up from the light-welterweight division to take on Manny Pacquiao.

Controversial circumstances surrounded Saturday's WBA title defence where the technical points decision favoured Khan after opponent Paul McCloskey was cut by a clash of heads during the sixth round.

Roach now wants Khan to move up to 147lbs where he can take on stable-mate and good friend Pacquiao.

However first Khan will look to clean up in the light-welterweight division against Timothy Bradley.

Roach told The Sun: "I want Amir to unify the light-welterweight division by taking on WBC and WBO champ Timothy Bradley.

"Then I want him to move up to 147lbs and take on the big buys for big money. That's the plan we are working on.

"Fighting at 147 would suit me better. I'd be stronger, more powerful at welterweight."
      Amir Khan Quotes of the week

"I know Tim Bradley very well and he is one hell of a fighter, but I would put Amir in with him tomorrow and expect my boxer to win."

Roach believes the winner should then take on Pacquiao.

"Their fight will determine who is the best at 140lbs and then the winner should go up to 147 and take on Manny Pacquiao," he said. "That is my feeling."
      Powerful

Khan has previously said he would not fight his friend Pacman, but has since has a change of heart.

"Fighting at 147 would suit me better. I'd be stronger, more powerful at welterweight," he said.

"I'm hitting harder now so what would I be like if I stepped up a division?"

July 23 has been scheduled as the provisional date for a showdown with American Bradley, who is currently unbeaten in 27 fights.

"I am taking five weeks off and when I get back to LA and know it is Bradley I could be facing next, it will push me even further," said Khan.

Bradley defended his WBO and WBC belts with victory over Devon Alexander last time out - while he previously dethroned Britain's Junior Witter in 2008.
      And who the fuk does he think is going to train Con? how degrading for Con because you know roach would stay with manny.

Comment

Amir will be taken out in 6 if he fought Pacman. Mayweather is who he should aiming for, he has more chance of going 12.

Comment

pac doing a margarito-mercy on khan... he'll probably get hit with those jab but once pac ups his game, it's retirement for khan

Comment

how's that going to work when Freddie trains both men?

Comment

Roach clearly feels Khan will be the one to end Pacs reign...

Comment

Both Pac and Khan have said they won't fight each other so why would Roach say this now? I think The Sun is probably messing with the quotes in this case. Roach must have said "the likes of Pacquiao" or something like that, meaning the big boys in general. I'd be surprised if he said exactly this.

Comment

Originally posted by RisAri0 View Post
                  how's that going to work when Freddie trains both men?
                  Roach has already said he would be in Pacquiao's corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    Khan would get stopped by Pacquiao unless Pac-Man went easy on his poor friend.
                    Im not too sure about this, you would be suprised what a good feed and meal can do for your chin, and im sure Khans chin will be stronger by the time he gets to 147 and how many years away is that?

But dont be ridiculous Roach, you shouuld be ashamed of yourself suggesting such thing. Khan should fight Floyd, and only if he beats Floyd should he consider fighting Pac.

Youve got two throws of the dice at beating PBF, so dont waste them with Khan and Pac beating up on each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X