Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the superman punch permitted in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive seen a guy do it well, he would dance to his right and then twist around to throw a right hand with his right foot leaving the ground.. it allows you to throw a right hand far to your left without taking the time to pivot.. it just doesnt have maximum power

its not fundamentally sound, but when you're that good you can showboat. he taught me how, and if done right it's a good punch. its not for everybody, more for a roy jones type person with good footwork.. infact i think i've seen roy through rights with his back foot leaving the ground when he's chasing someone down, i think it was vs toney. ideally, you'd pivot and plant your feet but the element of surprise is priceless

the way he did it was not faking a kick or knee, he just kicked his right leg out to get that spinning momentum.

don't get me wrong, i hate when mma guys talk about how tight their elbows are and their leg kicks, but some people know when to use them effectively and not as a 'finishing move'

YOU GUYS have not seen everything in boxing. here in phoenix where im from, i watch little kids spar and its more exciting than hbo championship fights. sparring looks like gatti vs ward here.. and then someone like jose benavidez jr shocks the world. there are plenty more good fighters here of different styles..

ive only met 1 guy who would dance around like ali, and fly across the ring and land a superman punch with his leg up in the air when you're not expecting it. it leaves you open, but when you know you're winning and intuitively see when the opponent will and won't punch. you can afford to make mistakes. ask gamboa, ask roy jones with his hands behind the back. if you're good enough, you can do a backflip in their and not get caught

but i would not reccomend teaching to beginners, they wouldnt know how to do it, you don't do it coming straight in, thats just stupid
    Last edited by Talon; 06-03-2010, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Didnt Banks kinda do one on Travis Walker a few months ago?

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
        Didnt Banks kinda do one on Travis Walker a few months ago?
        hey i know travis walker, black dude, with facial hair? probably around heavyweight? i sparred him and he'll do a damn superman punch too, he's a beast in the ring.. reminds me Emmanuel augustus

Comment

Originally posted by Talon View Post
          hey i know travis walker, black dude, with facial hair? probably around heavyweight? i sparred him and he'll do a damn superman punch too, he's a beast in the ring.. reminds me Emmanuel augustus
          Your last sig of the white guy missing the dunk is ****ing hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by 2120 View Post
            Forward to about the 5:10 mark on the vid and watch Chavez superman punch roger

Wow Roger had some freakish long arms

Comment

Originally posted by Talon View Post
              Yeah. He got his ass knocked out in Germany bad and has called time on his career I hear. He was a beast but has no stamina. Gassed against Arreola and ate canvas, too. Once you start going out flat on your face, it's time to go.

Comment

No boxer would fall for it. Its a fake kick then punch.

Comment

I think the boxing equivalent would be just someone jumping or lunging in while throwing a power shot, since their opponent doesnt have to worry about a kick.
                  I've seen a couple boxers that do that, all the time.

A better question, Can they launch themselves off the ropes like in the TS 2nd gif?

Comment

Didn't Andre Ward do a similar punch against Kessler? Well of course without the fake kick.

Comment

floyd paterson had amazing in the air punches. damn amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X