No announcement yet.

Rowing machine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rowing machine

Do any of you guys ever use the rowing machine at the gym for training? I did it today for a half hour at a aggressive pace and burned 375 calories (6'1 180), felt like it was a good workout for my arms and back as well...

I've never used one but i expect it would b good doing a fast pace workin your whole upper body. Might give it ago soon

Comment

rowing is a GREAT cross training tool. sprints are great for boxing because its anaerobic and can emulate a 2 min boxing rounds. i used to be the captain of the freshmen crew team in college.

for boxing training, sometimes i do mock Novice Amateur fights on the erg before a longer distance jog on the treadmill. i do a 10 minute piece. 1 minute warmup, 2 minute sprint, 1 minute light, 2 minute sprint, 1 minute light, 2 minute sprint, 1 minute cooldown.

then i do a longer 30 minute jog at a medium pace. that way you are getting your anaerobic capacity up as well as your aerobic. the erg simulates boxing in a sense, in that it is full body and your arms are moving in a similar manner to a punch in the saggital plane, although the roles of the agonist and antagonist muscles are reversed (or in layman's terms, the concentric phase is a pulling motion, not a pushing motion).

for your 30 minute "aggressive" pace, you should go by split time, not calories, though you can check calories at the end. You should be averaging under 2:00 splits for 30 minutes. if thats not possible yet, work your way up to that. if you're already there, thats a great starting point. now you need to incorporate intervals!

first though, you should make sure that you're rowing correctly. the power ratio is about 75% legs, 15% back and 10% arms. the order of the "drive" (going backwards on the slide) is legs, then back (to a 15 degree incline leaning back. this is exaggerated by most beginners. the angle is so slight that it almost feels like you are sitting straight up at the end of your stroke, though you are actually on a slight angle) and finally, arms in. then on the "recovery" (going forward on the slide) it is arms away first, then back, then legs. I am a trainer at a gym and before I show people the correct way to erg, 99% of them are doing it very wrong and inefficiently. Anyway, happy rowing and Good luck!

Comment

rowing also helps build muscles in just about every part of your body, is great for fitness. naseem hamed sued to do it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
          rowing is a GREAT cross training tool. sprints are great for boxing because its anaerobic and can emulate a 2 min boxing rounds. i used to be the captain of the freshmen crew team in college.

for boxing training, sometimes i do mock Novice Amateur fights on the erg before a longer distance jog on the treadmill. i do a 10 minute piece. 1 minute warmup, 2 minute sprint, 1 minute light, 2 minute sprint, 1 minute light, 2 minute sprint, 1 minute cooldown.

then i do a longer 30 minute jog at a medium pace. that way you are getting your anaerobic capacity up as well as your aerobic. the erg simulates boxing in a sense, in that it is full body and your arms are moving in a similar manner to a punch in the saggital plane, although the roles of the agonist and antagonist muscles are reversed (or in layman's terms, the concentric phase is a pulling motion, not a pushing motion).

for your 30 minute "aggressive" pace, you should go by split time, not calories, though you can check calories at the end. You should be averaging under 2:00 splits for 30 minutes. if thats not possible yet, work your way up to that. if you're already there, thats a great starting point. now you need to incorporate intervals!

first though, you should make sure that you're rowing correctly. the power ratio is about 75% legs, 15% back and 10% arms. the order of the "drive" (going backwards on the slide) is legs, then back (to a 15 degree incline leaning back. this is exaggerated by most beginners. the angle is so slight that it almost feels like you are sitting straight up at the end of your stroke, though you are actually on a slight angle) and finally, arms in. then on the "recovery" (going forward on the slide) it is arms away first, then back, then legs. I am a trainer at a gym and before I show people the correct way to erg, 99% of them are doing it very wrong and inefficiently. Anyway, happy rowing and Good luck!
          Thanks for the advice man....Oh and believe me the pace was very "aggressive" LMAO
          Last edited by alex6567; 10-23-2008, 04:45 PM. Reason: forgot portion of the intended message

Comment

Working...
          X