No announcement yet.

UFC/Boxing HW's making similar money

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
    So than, saying "if boxing was organized like UFC" is really no different from saying "if boxing was organized like Bob Arum's Top Rank Promotions."

Get the point?
    I guess. Not really.....

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
      I guess. Not really.....
      You're post equates the sport of boxing to UFC.

The problem is that UFC is not a sport its a promotion.

When people say things like Pac-Floyd would happen if boxing was like UFC, they are drawing a false parallel. Because the UFC is not a sport.

The real statement would be "if boxing was like MMA Pac-Mayweather would happen."

Which is not true, because exhibit A, we have the case of the Fedor-Couture fight, in which a very conserted effort was made to make the fight and it didn't happen.

In fact, this shows that it is less possible to get things done in MMA under such circumstances (e.g. cross promotion, which is the proper analogy).

So, saying "if boxing was organized like the UFC" is an irrelavent statement. But if you do want to bring it to it's conclusion, it's basically like saying "if Bob Arum controlled the entire sport, Mayweather-Pacquioa would be easier to have happen", or better yet, "if we could just go back to the good old days when the mob ran boxing, Pacquiao-Mayweather would happen."

Now you see?

Comment

Originally posted by -2 Scrappy- View Post
        Well yeah Overeem is a paid ass kickboxer. Ha He doesn't represent the majority of mma fighters. Like in boxing promoters are trying to make you the most money and pay for your service. While in mma you have to be successful in the ufc for years until you prove your good enough to demand top dollar.
        No you dont. plenty of guys in mma like jens pulver who have lose every other fight they're in who command a massive fanbase and get paid top dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
          You're post equates the sport of boxing to UFC.

The problem is that UFC is not a sport its a promotion.

When people say things like Pac-Floyd would happen if boxing was like UFC, they are drawing a false parallel. Because the UFC is not a sport.

The real statement would be "if boxing was like MMA Pac-Mayweather would happen."

Which is not true, because exhibit A, we have the case of the Fedor-Couture fight, in which a very conserted effort was made to make the fight and it didn't happen.

In fact, this shows that it is less possible to get things done in MMA under such circumstances (e.g. cross promotion, which is the proper analogy).

So, saying "if boxing was organized like the UFC" is an irrelavent statement. But if you do want to bring it to it's conclusion, it's basically like saying "if Bob Arum controlled the entire sport, Mayweather-Pacquioa would be easier to have happen", or better yet, "if we could just go back to the good old days when the mob ran boxing, Pacquiao-Mayweather would happen."

Now you see?
          Yeah I see what you're saying, but I think your taking it out of context a little bit. I meant to say it's kind of a double edge sword, where the fighters don't make as much as the promotion, but the promotion in itself has the power to make most dream matchups happen. Or something. I dunno. Oh well, who ****ing cares.....

Comment

Yeah I see what you're saying, but I think your taking it out of context a little bit. I meant to say it's kind of a double edge sword, where the fighters don't make as much as the promotion, but the promotion in itself has the power to make most dream matchups happen. Or something. I dunno. Oh well, who ****ing cares.....
            Yeah, I guess, but that's only because of Zuffa's effective monopoly. Which is why if the mob controlled all of boxing (like they use to) they could also create dream matchups.

But the fact that Zuffa doesn't have a complete monopoly makes it so that certain fighters, like Fedor, Aoki, and a number of others can't actually fight the Zuffa fighters (and there are plenty of dream matches there). In reality, although copromotion is tough to do in boxing, it does get done. Zuffa doesn't copromote at all. To me, it is more like the Couture-Fedor case because that was by far the biggest fight in the sport, and both fighters were with different outfits, and it didn't happen. The only ways it could have happened was for Fedor to sign with Zuffa or for Couture to get out of his Zuffa contract (which he attempted to do, even put himself on the shelf for the remainder of his contract, and then sued, but Zuffa would have kept it in court for 6 years if they would've needed to and by the time it was over Couture would be 50, that was the tactic, or so it seems to me).

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
              boxer salaries are very up and down. someone like vitali could get payed 2.5mil for one fight and then get payed 20-30mil for the next. there was never any real money in a chisora fight for vitali, he fought to stay busy much to his credit.

vitali could easily make 20mil in his next fight, more than overeem made in his entire career. unlike vitali who took a BS payday by his standards overeem made far more in the lesnar fight than in any of his previous fights.

so if you look at the lowest paydays of a HW boxer, yes its about the same as the highest for an mma HW. but that doesnt accurately portray who makes the most money does it? over the course of his career i wouldnt be suprised if vitali earned more than every top10 mma HW has over the course of theirs put together.
              This, and no one mentioned that Vitali is actually 1 of the K2 prom owner..so he gets paid more than people realise

Comment

I wanted to see Fedor slaughter Brock Lesnar, that never happened.

I want to see Jon Jones move up to a division he wants to be in and fight the best at HW (like Manny moving up divisions) but Dana wont let his cash cow loose.

UFC is a promotion who has the ability to brainwash people and brainwash small brained MMA journalists. Imagine a boxing promotion saying that they have the best fighter in every single division, yet will never let any of its fighters fight the champions from other boxing promotions. If this happened in boxing then boxing commentators would question it.

Comment

Originally posted by monaroCountry View Post
                  I wanted to see Fedor slaughter Brock Lesnar, that never happened.

I want to see Jon Jones move up to a division he wants to be in and fight the best at HW (like Manny moving up divisions) but Dana wont let his cash cow loose.

UFC is a promotion who has the ability to brainwash people and brainwash small brained MMA journalists. Imagine a boxing promotion saying that they have the best fighter in every single division, yet will never let any of its fighters fight the champions from other boxing promotions. If this happened in boxing then boxing commentators would question it.
                  Minus the saying they have all the top tallent, it is happening, in that Bob Arum rarely lets his top guys fight outside of his stable in recent years. Bob Arum isn't the only one.

But, co-promotion does at least happen in boxing, and quite regularly. The Super 6 boxing classic was a case in point. It involved some 4 or 5 promoters across 2 continents.

Comment

the same ppl in this thread saying that comparing Vitali to Overeem is a ridiculous comparison are making even more ridiculous comparisons themselves.

Comparing UFC to Top Rank LOL. just because UFC is a promotion and Top Rank is a promotion. Top Rank doesn't have 98% of the top talent in boxing. And saying that Fedor-Lesnar not happening is like Pac-Mayweather not happening is ridiculous. That MIGHT have been the biggest selling ppv in UFC, but those 2 were never the most talented 2 fighters in MMA. Anderson Silva vs GSP or Anderson vs Jones would be a more fair comparison. And those fights might happen but all those guys still have their hands full in their current divisions.

And for the idiot who said Jones wants to fight at the HW division but Dana isn't letting him, lol. Jones has a fight with Rashad, but if Jones really wanted to move up to HW after that fight, UFC wouldn't stop him from doing it. So many fighters/champions in the past have fought in other divisions because they asked for it.

Haters just imagining conspiracy theories to suit their hater mentality.
                    Last edited by -Swizzy-; 02-27-2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
                      got this from sherdog.

it's blatantly not true
                      for one, he's comparing figures in pounds and euros to dollars

the dollar isnt worth anywhere near the euro or the pound right now. its about 75 euros for 100 american dollars.

go check out a print out of hte purses from a ufc PPV and then check out the same print out from a HBO ppv or a big HBO championship boxing show

there is no comparing the two

the UFC does not pay well

what it does is offer multi fight deals, incentives (you get a hell of a lot more for knockout of the night than you do for being the B side of a main event.)
                      they promote you

for instance, yushin okami made less than 50K to fight anderson silva

victor ortiz made 5 million to fight floyd mayweather

what's for for business for MMA and bad for boxing is good for sherdog's bottomline

dont expect anything partial from them when comparing one to the other.
                      they are in competition.

the truth (boxers still make much better money than guys in MMA at the top of their respective sports,)
                      Last edited by New England; 02-27-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X