No announcement yet.

Muhammad Ali on Jack Johnson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muhammad Ali on Jack Johnson

My favourite part of the interview. He can't understand what gave Johnson such courage to walk around with a white woman in segregated America and risk his life every time he stepped in the ring and then admits, "I'm bold, but he's crazy!"

Im shocked that Ive never watched this before.

Comment

He is right. Jack Johnny bold to the point of insanity.

Comment

Good find!

Also reviews the Dempsey/Tunney long count.

Dempsey-Louis
        HOUDINI563

Don't want to hijack the thread, but just a comment to the two gentlemen above me since we were talking about this not long ago.

I don't think it's a question of whether Tunney could have made it up in time (I think he could have), but seems to be a question of if he could have stayed up after making it up (that, I have no idea!).

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
          Good find!

Also reviews the Dempsey/Tunney long count.

Dempsey-Louis
          HOUDINI563

Don't want to hijack the thread, but just a comment to the two gentlemen above me since we were talking about this not long ago.

I don't think it's a question of whether Tunney could have made it up in time (I think he could have), but seems to be a question of if he could have stayed up after making it up (that, I have no idea!).
          That could be quite a debate, for a long time.

Comment

It’s complete speculation so a crappy debate. Tunney was hit with a KO blow. Perfectly thrown and directly on a vital area. Without those extra 4.5-5.0 seconds, with Tunney sitting in the awkward position he is in on the canvas, I envision that he misses getting up at the count of ten. I am fully aware and have heard the actual audio of Tunney explaining that he had cleared his head by what would have been the count of eight. However IMO after watching the sequence since 1972 many hundreds of times I feel Tunney does not beat the count.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
              It’s complete speculation so a crappy debate. Tunney was hit with a KO blow. Perfectly thrown and directly on a vital area. Without those extra 4.5-5.0 seconds, with Tunney sitting in the awkward position he is in on the canvas, I envision that he misses getting up at the count of ten. I am fully aware and have heard the actual audio of Tunney explaining that he had cleared his head by what would have been the count of eight. However IMO after watching the sequence since 1972 many hundreds of times I feel Tunney does not beat the count.
              Valid points by Houdini.

Comment

That's a good point, above.

Even if Tunney beats the legitimate 10-count, I'm not sure he STAYS on his feet against the coming onslaught from Dempsey. We'll never know what a great help the extra time gave him. But probably a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                  When they counted back then... the neutral corner didn’t exist... guys who scored a knock down stood next to the refereee. Shaving at least two seconds off any long count..

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    Valid points by Houdini.
                    Read my post below.

Comment

Working...
                    X