Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the **** did Golovkin not go to war?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opponent wasn't a punching bag

Comment

Originally posted by W1LL View Post
      Because he is massively overrated, and shot. The Kell Brook and Danny Jacobs fights were his final throes, he is done. He will never regain a title, and soon will be stopped by someone he'd have pancaked 3-4 years ago.

was overrated, but so are basically all fighters at the top until we see their careers pan out.

wouldn't call him shot yet, a shot fighter does not take that kind of risk and rally late against a guy who is 8-10 years younger. depleted, absolutely; but not shot.

Comment

I need to rewatch the fight, but it seems GGG couldnt handle what Canelo brought to the table. I give Canelo props for walking forward like he said he would, and effectively being the boss in the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          dude he is 36 years old, what the f#ck is your idea of going to war if not that?

he did everything in his power. he lost to a faster, younger, better fighter.

make no mistake, those two were both a punch or two from goign down. if you leave any more than that in the ring you can lose your life.

do not ask fighters to give more than that, you just don't understand what you're asking them to do.
          I don't? Maybe not, but neither does anyone here then, because none of us know what it's like to box at that level, with that amount of punching power. What I can take are references from a historical perspective and comparisons from their careers and other fights.

Don't get me wrong either, that was a violent fight, but what I'm talking about are tactics. Golovkin is one of the hardest hitting middleweight off all time, he has a very good, but smaller, less sturdy fighter with a weaker engine in front of him. You know you've already had an unfavourable decision against you, you beg that guy to stand in front of you, in fact you and your trainer goad him for months.

My question is why doesn't GGG go to the trenches until one of them drowns? I'm not talking about a long winded drawn out war where both guys take permanent damage, I'm talking about Hagler Hearns war until someone goes down or the tide firmly tilts one way or another. Maybe Golovkin is not able to put himself into such a dark place, I'm not sure. I think Canelo was prepared to do that, and the way GGG talked and fought thE first fight I thought he was too.

Evidently not, it's not a criticism but a legit question, and I'm not the only one asking it.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            How did he let it go to the cards again, it's comical lol

I don't know how to take him anymore, I'm not really sure what kind of fighter he is, he made his name being a seek and destroy fighter. It's good that he is versatile, but in the first fight apart from the jab he couldn't hit Canelo with a bag of rice, in a fight which was much closer than any GGG would care to admit.

Then him and Abel cry about running for a full 12 months, so the dude walks straight into his wheelhouse all night and he doesn't oblige. Why didn't he just trade and try and drown Canelo like Hagler did to Hearns. They kept talking in the build up about "knock out" "taking it out of the judges hands"

I think in reality Golovkin isn't very educated in close quarters fighting.
            I made a similar point in another thread.

If you are GGG and you feel you got shafted the 1st fight, saw Floyd only get an MD when he won 12 rounds and Lara lose by SD in a fight many thought he won, then there is no way you should've thought you could box to a UD win.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
              That is so very true. He can't and none of the Eastern European bloc fighters can; Neither Kovalev, Lomachenko or Golovkin can fight at short range. They are used to extending their arms by backing up their opponents on the back foot/outside for more power and leaverage on their punches.
              totally agree

Comment

dude he is 36 years old, what the f#ck is your idea of going to war if not that?

he did everything in his power. he lost to a faster, younger, better fighter.

make no mistake, those two were both a punch or two from goign down. if you leave any more than that in the ring you can lose your life.

do not ask fighters to give more than that, you just don't understand what you're asking them to do.
                I don’t think any part of their two fights proves Canelo was the ‘better’ fighter. They are about as even as they can be round by round, exchange by exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  I don’t think any part of their two fights proves Canelo was the ‘better’ fighter. They are about as even as they can be round by round, exchange by exchange.

i thought canelo won on saturday. i think abel sanchez thought canelo won. i even think golovkin thought canelo won. i am more confident than ever that he will win the rubber match, might even get a stoppage. don't get me wrong, this is a different fight if it takes place in 2013.

but it didn't take place in 2013 and golovkin is 36, will be 37 if they fight again. he looked old and took his first real beating. those guys hammered each other, but i thought golovkin took significantly more punishment over the course of the second fight. to the body particularly. dished out enough punishment of his own to make it a close fight on some scorecards, and "make it a fight," but i have no problem with a judge calling it 7-5 and saying canelo was the better man.

Comment

i thought canelo won on saturday. i think abel sanchez thought canelo won. i even think golovkin thought canelo won. i am more confident than ever that he will win the rubber match, might even get a stoppage. don't get me wrong, this is a different fight if it takes place in 2013.

but it didn't take place in 2013 and golovkin is 36, will be 37 if they fight again. he looked old and took his first real beating. those guys hammered each other, but i thought golovkin took significantly more punishment over the course of the second fight. to the body particularly. dished out enough punishment of his own to make it a close fight on some scorecards, and "make it a fight," but i have no problem with a judge calling it 7-5 and saying canelo was the better man.
                    On mine and many many other cards GG won the second half of the fight quite convincingly, and with it took the fight close, while also hurting Canelo at times in the process. No massive problem with 7-5Canelo at all. But I think these two are about as evenly matched as they can be right now. There has been only a handle of rounds out of 24 they’ve boxed that we’re easy to score. They are that evenly matched.

No doubt Golovkin will continue to deteriorate, but right now, they are on the same level to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
                      how did he land so many more shots than canelo then? oh wait i forgot solid jabs dont count as a scoring shot anymore
                      Jabs only count when its the fighter they like, as in Maidana vs Floyd. Same with the body shots. They didnt count in that fight, but Saturday they did. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                      X