Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Golovkin get the same criticism as Ward if he doesn't rematch Jacobs ASAP?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
    The situations aren't exactly the same. Ward has a rematch clause and there is no other fight bigger than a Kovalev rematch. Unless he fights Stevenson which is clearly not gonna happen, there no other credible opponents for Ward.

A lot more people thought Kovalev won his fight than Jacobs.

GGG wants to unify against Saunders, can't blame him if he takes that fight next.

And Golovkin has wanted to fight Canelo for a while now, so you can't criticize him if he fights him next. The fans want that fight too, it's the biggest fight that could be made in boxing right now.

But Golovkin absolutely should give Jacobs another fight at some point. I don't think Jacobs did enough to get win, but he did enough to earn a rematch.

I would rather see Golovkin vs Canelo and Jacobs vs. Saunders later this year.
    *Clicks in thread*

*Looks for first post to address rematch clause, close fight that most had Kovalev winning, no bigger fight financially for Ward*

/End thread

Jacobs can absolutely get a rematch with GGG down the line. Why have an immediate rematch if most people had it GGG? Why have an immediate rematch PERIOD if there is a bigger money fight on the horizon? The rematch can be done in the future, there's no immediate clamoring concern, though. It wasn't even a barnburner or anything special, either. It was mildly entertaining. Sort of like Cotto/Mosley...good action, but nothing special.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Mayweather v Maidana
      Mayweather v Castillo

Didn't have rematch clauses for the opponent. The fans thought the fights were close and Floyd gave them an immediate rematch without having to legally honor one.

But again, comparing GGG to something Mayweather would do is raising the standards and implying that GGG is great. He's good, but not great. So we shouldn't expect him to push himself against challenges or give rematches to fighters who may have beaten him.

No rematch clause, no rematch has to be honored. The career of a non a HOF'er.

At the time they would have been the biggest fights money wise available to floyd.. not the case with ggg in this instance... I don't mind if it's not an immediate rematch but I do wanna see one and if billy jo or canelo don't go forward with the fight I'd like to see Jacobs take there place

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Mayweather v Maidana
        Mayweather v Castillo

Didn't have rematch clauses for the opponent. The fans thought the fights were close and Floyd gave them an immediate rematch without having to legally honor one.

But again, comparing GGG to something Mayweather would do is raising the standards and implying that GGG is great. He's good, but not great. So we shouldn't expect him to push himself against challenges or give rematches to fighters who may have beaten him.

No rematch clause, no rematch has to be honored. The career of a non a HOF'er.
        at the end of the day prize fighting is a bussiness. floyd gave the 2 fighters rematch, kudos to him but you also have to remember at that time the rematches are the most lucrative option for floyd camp. fans want and willing to pay to watch those rematches, that is i believe one of many big reason floyd gave those rematches.

now with lil g situation is kinda different because i feel fans are more willing to see canelo's fight than jacob's rematch.

and this last one is personal opinion of mine. lil g's c0ck suckers seem misunderstood that i think i had lil g lose, no i think lil g did enough to win but i just want to point it out that the jacob's fight exposed lil g as limited one dimensional fighter also his overated power and technique.

Comment

GGG should be talking rematch. Now if he wants the Canelo fight to come off first he should publicly state that and then say Jacobs will get his rematch right after that.

GGG is a yes man, he does whatever his handlers say. And his handlers understandably don't want to jeopardize the Canelo payday. But GGG should still be talking about a rematch. Great fighters want to leave no doubt.

Again, Floyd has to be mentioned. He had two close fights his whole career and didn't hesitate a bit to immediately give rematches to Castillo and Madaina.

Comment

Originally posted by betmen View Post
            at the end of the day prize fighting is a bussiness. floyd gave the 2 fighters rematch, kudos to him but you also have to remember at that time the rematches are the most lucrative option for floyd camp. fans want and willing to pay to watch those rematches, that is i believe one of many big reason floyd gave those rematches.

now with lil g situation is kinda different because i feel fans are more willing to see canelo's fight than jacob's rematch.

and this last one is personal opinion of mine. lil g's c0ck suckers seem misunderstood that i think i had lil g lose, no i think lil g did enough to win but i just want to point it out that the jacob's fight exposed lil g as limited one dimensional fighter also his overated power and technique.
            It's funny how you call Ggg lil.g when you are Indonesian. A country that is 5'2 average height for guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
              It's funny how you call Ggg lil.g when you are Indonesian. A country that is 5'2 average height for guys.
              is even funnier seeing lil g's cumguzzlers on suicide watch when jacobs still survive after the 10th round

Comment

Lederman scored it for triple G. That's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                  The situations aren't exactly the same. Ward has a rematch clause and there is no other fight bigger than a Kovalev rematch. Unless he fights Stevenson which is clearly not gonna happen, there no other credible opponents for Ward.

A lot more people thought Kovalev won his fight than Jacobs.

GGG wants to unify against Saunders, can't blame him if he takes that fight next.

And Golovkin has wanted to fight Canelo for a while now, so you can't criticize him if he fights him next. The fans want that fight too, it's the biggest fight that could be made in boxing right now.

But Golovkin absolutely should give Jacobs another fight at some point. I don't think Jacobs did enough to get win, but he did enough to earn a rematch.

I would rather see Golovkin vs Canelo and Jacobs vs. Saunders later this year.
                  Pretty much what i was going to post in the thread :ANYWORD:

Comment

Originally posted by The Tribe View Post
                    By all indicators GGG wants Saunders next in his home country.

Now he's just been in a tough fight in which many (including me) thought he lost. Why shouldn't he get the same criticism as Ward who is perceived (wrongly) to be ducking the Kovalev rematch?

Surely Golovkin wants to cement his credibility by putting all doubts to rest? Why is he not given the same level of criticism as Ward would be if he avoided the Kovalev rematch?
                    Get a grip of reality for a second will ya? GGG won comfortably. Close but comfortable. Not controversial. He knocked Jacobs down as well as hit him more times.
                    GGG isn't obligated to rematch just cos he don't knock someone out!!!

Ward lost by many rounds according to many, given gift decision in hometown. GGG was in Jacobs backyard. So the circumstances are not comparable in any way shape or form.
                    Last edited by hugh grant; 03-21-2017, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                      No, but it's somewhat understandable. Kovalev was the man. It was a really important fight. These guys were supposed to resolve the P4P #1 argument.

Jacobs was never supposed to win and people would rather see Canelo anyway so Danny will get brushed aside, unfortunately.
                      But the narrative was this fight will determine who are the best Middleweights. If it was a close fight, then as Lyle Fitzsimmons stated, what is the point of going after the WBO when it's apparent of BJS ability and standing as a Middleweight. What has he done at 160 after ''beating'' Lee or another controversial scoring with Eubank Jr.

The point is Jacobs is a tougher challenge than BJS. The whole boxing world will agree with that. Therefore, it makes more sense for a rematch with or without a clause just because Jacobs paused the ''KO destroyer'' narrative. The same thing with Ward vs Kovalev. I had Ward winning in a completely different style than Jacobs vs GGG. For me, I had the bout a Draw. Therefore, a Draw deserves a rematch. I had Leo beating Frampton first time around, but then after watching a good 3 more times I had it a Draw, and thus, the rematch happened.

Comment

Working...
                      X