No announcement yet.

Oblique exercises

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblique exercises

Yo guys, do you have specific exercises for oblique muscles in your training regimes? It's a really annoying area of fat storage in the trunk IMO for some and since i've been neglecting cardio recently I'm not happy at the moment especially with the level of fat i'm carrying there, it also sort of takes away from the look of your abs even when you are ripped in that area.

So - any specific exercise ideas that you use or would recommend?

Also, do you think the strength of your obliques are also important in terms of an overall strong core which helps with strong hip rotation for power punches, especially hooks?

Let me know your thoughts guys

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
    Yo guys, do you have specific exercises for oblique muscles in your training regimes? It's a really annoying area of fat storage in the trunk IMO for some and since i've been neglecting cardio recently I'm not happy at the moment especially with the level of fat i'm carrying there, it also sort of takes away from the look of your abs even when you are ripped in that area.

So - any specific exercise ideas that you use or would recommend?

Also, do you think the strength of your obliques are also important in terms of an overall strong core which helps with strong hip rotation for power punches, especially hooks?

Let me know your thoughts guys
    There are exercises such as weighted side stretches, but if there is a body fat issue you can't spot reduce. So even if you strengthen the areas, it doesn't mean that there will be much cosmetic improvement.

To drop the body fat really requires good cardio exercise in tandem with a specific diet.

Comment

You cannot just lose fat in a particular part of your body by working out that part of your body. Thats like trying to reduce the air in one particular part of a car tire lol not possible.

With that being said, Russian Twists, Side planks, Situps (not crunches), and leg raises (especially hanging leg raises which are a great core exercise) are all core exercises that work the obliques. My personal favorites are the Russian twist and the hanging leg raises.

Comment

These guys are right. You cant spot reduce fat.

Eat healthy, no junk, do some hill sprints or normal cardio, if you like do some paloff presses, sit ups while holding a weight plate, and superman back extensions.
        Last edited by AlexKid; 02-08-2014, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
          These guys are right. You cant spot reduce fat.

Eat healthy, no junk, do some hill sprints or normal cardio, if you like do some paloff presses, sit ups while holding a weight plate, and superman back extensions.
          Oh I'm well aware that you can't specifically burn fat in areas, it's not even particularly the level of fat that's bothering me... i've just gone a bit soft but that will sort itself out when I get back into regular cardio - it's more about exercises to specifically strengthen those oblique muscles to have more hip rotation strength and a more solid core for power punches where you are rotating at the hips.

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
            Oh I'm well aware that you can't specifically burn fat in areas, it's not even more hip rotation strength and a more solid core for power punches where you are rotating at the hips.
            NEVER Punch from the obliques!

You will tire fast and produce fcuk all power.

Punch from the legs and hips!

Rotate the foot and leg to rotate the hips. Bend the knee as you rotate to drive from the legs. Get good tuition if you want to learn this properly its quite difficult.

The obliques and midsection and lats need development but they merely transmit the force they DO NOT SUPPLY IT. (sometimes they add force but via a stretch reflex not actual muscular contraction so never punch initiating from the obliques)

If you want power Squat deadlift and olympic lift. But aim to increase strength and power but not size, you dont want to be a beefed up middleweight in the HW division.

You hit alot harder than you think you do Getting the technique down will do far more for your punching power than lifting any weights btw.
            Last edited by AlexKid; 02-08-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

The only way to lose the fat is by doing exactly what you hate; cardio.

If you want to make the muscles strongs put more of your body into your punch when you weight shift. Meaning more shoulders and hip.

Comment

Originally posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
                The only way to lose the fat is by doing exactly what you hate; cardio.

If you want to make the muscles strongs put more of your body into your punch when you weight shift. Meaning more shoulders and hip.
                You can loose the fat with diet alone I believe. No need for cardio at all, it just helps.

Comment

wood chucks

Comment

Working...
                  X