Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Andre Ward honor the contract and rematch Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he should def rematch him, however this is business so we shall see.

Comment

Doubt it. He just got a nice payday. And he seems to live a very modest lifestyle.

Andre seems like the kind of guy that is content to spend time with his wife and kids and fight again in a year and a half to put something extra into his retirement fund.

I think we should all consider him semi-retired at this point.

Kovalev fight was a hard fight for him, and it is pretty obvious from how he has conducted himself so far, he doesn't want hard fights.

I think we can expect to see him take fights like Jack moving up to 174.

Fights that look decent on paper, but are not real challenges for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        lol.

The fight did $3.5m at the gate in Las Vegas with another $10m cleared on the PPV, so what are you talking about.

You add that, in controversy, the rematch is likely going to be a bigger event, and why shouldn't Andre Ward get a bigger piece?

Andre Ward has the three belts, Andre Ward seemingly had more of the fan interest in Las Vegas, Andre Ward is of no obligation to any TV broadcaster, and Andre Ward is under no mandatory obligation to fight Kovalev.

Like you've ever had "respect" for Andre Ward.

What is stopping Andre Ward from signing a minimum 10-fight, 4-year deal with Showtime and then telling Kovalev that the rematch woul be on Ward's terms?
        Jesus Christ you're a moron.... He got a bigger piece the first time around you dolt.

Are you unaware that the promoters work with only half the revenue. I am very certain that Roc Nation did not make any profit the first time around, why should Ward get more money in a rematch.

He signed a rematch clause and he should honour the agreement otherwise he will have problems getting other fights. Ask Hasim Rahman how it went when he tried to get out of the Lewis rematch clause.

Go look at my post history if you don't think I've ever had respect for Ward. Sorry if you think me being fair means I don't but I'm not hugging anyone's nuts when I know they are wrong. Ward signed a rematch clause in the contract, he should honour it, why should I care if he's trying to get more money when he was overpaid the first time out.

Freedom, don't try and lump me in with these type of Ward fans. I am not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
          And? Ward won the fight as the challenger. He will - rightfully - demand the Lion's share. Kovalev, because he lost, has to bend to Ward's will.

Kovy had a rematch clause, but Ward didn't. That says an awful lot too.

The rematch terms WERE mostly likely agreed upon, but Ward is holding out for more which I don't blame him tbh. He won a very competitive fight where either guy could've been the winner. Since he got the W he should get more $$ to warrant a rematch.

Obviously I want to see the 2nd fight and I'm hoping all this gets sorted out, but the hypocrisy on these boards is mind-numbing.

Canelo offers GGG $10 million and GGG refuses because the offer is too low. Canelo prices himself out.

Ward holds out on rematch because he wants more money, but he is ducking for not taking the fight.

Some people can just do no wrong. Pacman was a PED using troll and, for some reason, became a lovable immigrant in the eyes of some (never me). Now it's GGG and Kovalev who are these do-no-wrong immigrants. Blows my mind.

Build the wall Trump and kick the immigrants out as well as their supporters. Pce out pac****S
          I live in the U.K. jackass..... since when does a challenger have a rematch clause?

Did Fury have a rematch clause against Wladimir?

I don't care for GGG but when has anyone ever accepted a flat fee in a super fight?

It's no wonder I get attacked by pro GGG fans, they think I'm one of you morons.

Comment

ward's fans are ludicrous

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
              Brooooo you know what I see why I get attacked for being a Ward fan sometimes, some of the dudes in this thread are literally beyond ******ed with their double standards. It's a shame I get generalised.

I got guys telling me I don't respect Ward because I think he should honour the rematch clause instead of asking for money that isn't there. Is there a rule on this place that says you can't be objective when you like a fighter?

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                Brooooo you know what I see why I get attacked for being a Ward fan sometimes, some of the dudes in this thread are literally beyond ******ed with their double standards. It's a shame I get generalised.

I got guys telling me I don't respect Ward because I think he should honour the rematch clause instead of asking for money that isn't there. Is there a rule on this place that says you can't be objective when you like a fighter?
                if ward wants more money for the rematch, isn't that roc nation's problem? they are the ones that paid him 5 millions last time around. the fight itself, as an event, won't do much more that the first one. what makes me laugh is the concept that ward deserves more now because he is a champion, when in the first fight he got everything his way. i don't get what more could he want now.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                  Jesus Christ you're a moron.... He got a bigger piece the first time around you dolt.

Are you unaware that the promoters work with only half the revenue. I am very certain that Roc Nation did not make any profit the first time around, why should Ward get more money in a rematch.

He signed a rematch clause and he should honour the agreement otherwise he will have problems getting other fights. Ask Hasim Rahman how it went when he tried to get out of the Lewis rematch clause.

Go look at my post history if you don't think I've ever had respect for Ward. Sorry if you think me being fair means I don't but I'm not hugging anyone's nuts when I know they are wrong. Ward signed a rematch clause in the contract, he should honour it, why should I care if he's trying to get more money when he was overpaid the first time out.

Freedom, don't try and lump me in with these type of Ward fans. I am not one of them.
                  300k PPV buys at $60 per PPV has you generating $18m; even if the 50% is it, that's still $9m off of just the PPV. On the gate alone, Kovalev-Ward sold $3.5m in tickets (and that's before considering any piece from the closed circuit sales; my guess is that Main Events likely just picked up a site fee from MGM Resorts). You add that Sky Sports being interested in the fight raised the value of the UK TV rights, and the fight being aired on national TV in Russia and there's a distinct chance that the event cleared north of $15m once all the revenues were counted.

Not sure why it's so hard to comprehend, but Kovalev-Ward was a Main Events event, not a RNS event; Star Boxing didn't get a piece of everything when they sent Chris Algieri over to Macau to fight Pacquiao, so why would that change here?

Andre Ward won the three belts, Ward no longer owes anything to HBO, and Ward is in position to dictate terms for the rematch; the idea that Andre Ward is going to beat Kovalev, and then have Main Event dictate all of the terms again in the second fight is silly

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    300k PPV buys at $60 per PPV has you generating $18m; even if the 50% is it, that's still $9m off of just the PPV. On the gate alone, Kovalev-Ward sold $3.5m in tickets (and that's before considering any piece from the closed circuit sales; my guess is that Main Events likely just picked up a site fee from MGM Resorts). You add that Sky Sports being interested in the fight raised the value of the UK TV rights, and the fight being aired on national TV in Russia and there's a distinct chance that the event cleared north of $15m once all the revenues were counted.

Not sure why it's so hard to comprehend, but Kovalev-Ward was a Main Events event, not a RNS event; Star Boxing didn't get a piece of everything when they sent Chris Algieri over to Macau to fight Pacquiao, so why would that change here?

Andre Ward won the three belts, Ward no longer owes anything to HBO, and Ward is in position to dictate terms for the rematch; the idea that Andre Ward is going to beat Kovalev, and then have Main Event dictate all of the terms again in the second fight is silly
                    Always kicking ass....

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
                      You latino Kovalev fans are just butthurt.

Russian worshipping mofos...lol

Comment

Working...
                      X