No announcement yet.

Short Heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRiches View Post
    But then I'm always punching down, and they can move fast. It's easier to beat taller opponents than shorter ones (But I'm just going from my experience of Karate). I'll stick to your advice and stay lighter for now until I've finished growing, then in a few years I'll decide whether or not to loose / gain weight.
    Karate is nothing like boxing, and with your height/weight you will want to be at lower weights so you can use your relative height advantage, learn a jab and how to use the ring.

Comment

Start boxing & see how you get on.
      You're only 16 so you may even turn out to be a fair sized heavyweight yet. I didn't stop growing until I was around 22.

Comment

But then I'm always punching down, and they can move fast. It's easier to beat taller opponents than shorter ones (But I'm just going from my experience of Karate). I'll stick to your advice and stay lighter for now until I've finished growing, then in a few years I'll decide whether or not to loose / gain weight.
        You won't be punching down unless there head is below your shoulder which isn't likely to happen given that a lot / most boxers try to box at as low a weight as they can so they have the height advantage, your experience in karate will help, obviously, but boxing is a whole other sport, if you're competing with a decent boxer who has a good size advantage on you you're going to have a lot harder time getting on the inside of him then you do with your sparring partners in karate.
        You want every advantage you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          Start boxing & see how you get on.
          You're only 16 so you may even turn out to be a fair sized heavyweight yet. I didn't stop growing until I was around 22.
          Okay. I know I won't grow into a Wladimir Klitschko, But 6'1/2 must be tall enough to stand a chance.

Comment

Okay. I know I won't grow into a Wladimir Klitschko, But 6'1/2 must be tall enough to stand a chance.
            You need the frame to be heavyweight, or you'll just be blown up. Mike Tyson was short, but had the right frame. You either have it, or you don't. No point in straying too far from your natural body size, otherwise you'll slow down dramatically

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
              You need the frame to be heavyweight, or you'll just be blown up. Mike Tyson was short, but had the right frame. You either have it, or you don't. No point in straying too far from your natural body size, otherwise you'll slow down dramatically
              and Mike Tyson at 16 was about 200lbs

not 144

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                and Mike Tyson at 16 was about 200lbs

not 144
                But that's because I only do cardio. I've never done any heavy lifting and have a great diet. Recently I've lost my six pack due to lack of training, and I've started putting on some weight (as I'm currently out with knee problems) so I'd say my weight might actually be 147-155. I'll go weight myself now.

Comment

But that's because I only do cardio. I've never done any heavy lifting and have a great diet. Recently I've lost my six pack due to lack of training, and I've started putting on some weight (as I'm currently out with knee problems) so I'd say my weight might actually be 147-155. I'll go weight myself now.
                  If you weigh around 150, theres no way you can be comfortable at over 200lb lol. With all the muscle youd have to put on, youd be a body builder, not a boxer. Your frame would have to widen a lot to fit, and that hardly ever happens.

Its not a bad thing you aren't a big lad. Heavyweights dont ever get the chance to be able to move out of their division, whereas us shorter folk have a bit of scope as to where we can go.

Comment

There are many decent heavyweights these days who aren't naturally huge guys.

Tomasz Adamek for one, Tor Hamer, David Haye for another though he is 6ft3 he doesn't a large frame.

Just give yourself time to grow & mature. Some guys start puberty earlier than others some later. For all I know you could end up a 6ft8 monster, you may only have another inch of growth height wise.

You may end up a big welterweight, you may end up a big heavyweight.

Comment

I might just drop a load of weight and go Lightweight.

If I do reach 6'0+ at Lightweight I'd have so much reach on everybody.

Comment

Working...
                      X