No announcement yet.

Why didn't Andre Ward become a superstar

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    Dirty and boring inside the ring. Polite and not thuggish outside the ring.
    basically this. The way he was in the ring would make you think he was a thug. The way he was outside the ring made you think he was a gentlemen...fans of one type were put off from the other and visa versa.

Comment

He's boring as ****

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
        "boring" Floyd was "boring" but still one of the biggest superstars in boxing history.
        One thing Floyd had is other popular fight partners.

I’m not a Ward fan but his opponents had no where near the same level of popularity like Mayweather’s.

Comment

Originally posted by stefjonno1 View Post
          You obviously hate the man, no point in trying to convince you otherwise. Quite puzzling how you can hate and down play an Olympic gold medallist and two weight division World champ but hey ho. You must have hated it when Ward was in the UK last year doing a meet and greet and was showered with love from the UK fans.
          Goddamn it man why can't people just disagree. I don't hate Ward. There is a lot of nonsensical hatred on this forums directed towards GGG, Crawford, Lomachenko etc but I am not one of those guys. The only boxer I hate is Adrien Broner. That guys a prick. But I don't hate hate Ward. I actually think he would have beaten GGG if they fought. But reality is reality. There was only a short period of time when the fight was legitimately possible and GGG had a much more lucrative and meaningful option he was lined up for. GGG had a mandatory shot with Cotto and then Canelo lined up. There were other quality fighters still at 168 at the time Ward could have fought to keep himself busy while waiting for GGG. He chose not to and focused on Sergei Kovalev instead. Big props to him for beating Sergei twice.
          Last edited by yankees7448; 10-14-2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

1. Looks down syndrome
            2. ZERO personality
            3. Cheater
            4. Terrible style
            5. No power

Comment

Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
              One thing Floyd had is other popular fight partners.

I’m not a Ward fan but his opponents had no where near the same level of popularity like Mayweather’s.
              also true, love or hate floyd, he befitted greatly from hopping through multiple hot divisions and having a laundry list of big name opponents. Ward fought in two divisions, one of which has little to no historical significance, and other than Kovalev, hasn't really fought any names.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                Boring and dirty. Turned people off.

Definitely! He got away with too many dirty fights and seemed protected by refs not stopping his tactics.

For boxing fans his fights became predictable because you knew it would end up being a boring clinch fest with headbutts and low blows being allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
                  thats the greatest MW of all time after another one of his moral triumps over a career ww/jr mw!!!! you aint know?!?!?!

Comment

Because being very good has never been enough to sell tickets on the same level as men who are very good and have a gimmick.

Comment

Working...
                    X