Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Ward Vs Usyk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward (immediately after the Kovalev fight) by UD, this wasn't even prime Bellew in there and he managed to steal 4 rounds before gassing out. Bellew hadn't even fought at cruiser in 2 years, and the skill gap between him and Ward is so massive it wouldn't even be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
      Ward (immediately after the Kovalev fight) by UD, this wasn't even prime Bellew in there and he managed to steal 4 rounds before gassing out. Bellew hadn't even fought at cruiser in 2 years, and the skill gap between him and Ward is so massive it wouldn't even be fair.
      Well.. Kovalev was winning most rounds against Ward before gassing out in the 1st fight and even put him down. Similar, in the 2nd fight it was pretty balanced before he gassed. And kovalev is not the most skilled fighter, huge puncher, but not a skilled master...

Bellew put everything in the first 4-5 rounds. Paulie had it spot on - Bellew had a great game plan, throwing every 20-30 secs with loads of movement, hoping for an opening. However, that gameplan cost him draining himself in the first 1/3 of the fight, while Usyk didn’t even switched to the 2nd gear.

Ward couldn't best Kovalev in a jab war or at the distance. Only when he got inside, he manage to get a success. I don’t think that gives him most chance against much more skilled and much bigger Usyk (compared to Kovalev).

Comment

Ward was a small light heavy even though he beat up Kovalev, doubt he would do as good at cruiserweight.

Comment

If he can put on the weight right and be himself, he can outbox Usyk.

Comment

Usyk UD. Too big, too strong, too skilled.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
              Ward is retired and has not fought in over a year...Usyk is far bigger naturally as Ward had to give up size to Kovalev... Not really a realistic fight
              This ^. I can't even understand why there would be calls for this fight. Ward did retire as a fully fledged LHW, but not one of those 6'2" or 6'3" LHWs who have the frame to blow up 25Lbs successfully, nor at nearly 35 is he of age where you should be contemplating piling on that kind of mass anyway.

Can't pretend I was ever Wards greatest fan, but it seems like there's some folk just want to see the guy lose, I can't see any other reason for anyone to even talk about this fight.

Comment

Usyk would brutalise him far too big, strong and skillful. Ward was a great Super Middle and done well to win the second fight against Kov (im not giving him credit for the first because he was outboxed and got a gift)
                I would put my house on Usyk destroying even the best Ward within 3 rounds unless he plays with him for a bit first, make no mistake Usyk is a real heavyweight and comes into the ring well over 210lbs even at cruiser and he
                hits far harder than he is given credit for and far too hard for a good little un like Ward. Its not that i dont rate Ward is simply he is far to small to compete with such a talented heavyweight.

Comment

I dont see Andre being successful above 175. He was potentially GOAT at 168 - no JK - but slightly above average at 175.

Regardless I give Ward all the credit in the world. He always fought the boogeyman without hesitation. Much respect...not a fan of his style, but much respect nonetheless

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                    Well.. Kovalev was winning most rounds against Ward before gassing out in the 1st fight and even put him down. Similar, in the 2nd fight it was pretty balanced before he gassed. And kovalev is not the most skilled fighter, huge puncher, but not a skilled master...

Bellew put everything in the first 4-5 rounds. Paulie had it spot on - Bellew had a great game plan, throwing every 20-30 secs with loads of movement, hoping for an opening. However, that gameplan cost him draining himself in the first 1/3 of the fight, while Usyk didn’t even switched to the 2nd gear.

Ward couldn't best Kovalev in a jab war or at the distance. Only when he got inside, he manage to get a success. I don’t think that gives him most chance against much more skilled and much bigger Usyk (compared to Kovalev).
                    Dp

Spot on at every point

Comment

It took the boxing world 4 years to convince Ward to fight a live body after he dragged Dawson down to 168. You guys are dreaming to think he moves up to CW to fight Usyk.

Comment

Working...
                      X