Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasons for punch averages dropping against certain boxers..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons for punch averages dropping against certain boxers..

I keep reading that boxers punch averages go down when they fight Mayweather/Lara et al, like these elite boxers put some mystical spell on their opponents. Has anyone ever stopped to think that the reason might be that Mayweather/Lara et al are just constantly out of range (ie running) so their is no point in their opponent throwing? People on here would love to see Canelo continuing to throw punches even though his opponent is at the other side of the ring, 'setting traps'. Lol.
    Last edited by tyotfo; 08-23-2015, 03:19 AM.

Floyd legitimately frustrates his opponents and confuses them. So, why continue throwing if it's ineffective or will lead to you getting popped? That's why punch rates go down, they have no clue what to do. Lara straight up ran vs canelo, it's not the same thing. In that fight there is no target in sight. Typically, the better the opponent the more difficult it is to do what you want offensively. That doesn't apply to the Lara fight which he basically ran in.
    Last edited by El-blanco; 08-23-2015, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tyotfo View Post
      I keep reading that boxers punch averages go down when they fight Mayweather/Lara et al, like these elite boxers put some mystical spell on their opponents. Has anyone ever stopped to think that the reason might be that Mayweather/Lara et al are just constantly out of range (ie running) so their is no point in their opponent throwing? People on here would love to see Canelo continuing to throw punches even though his opponent is at the other side of the ring, 'setting traps'. Lol.
      pretty much.

though not really running more like stepping back every step you go forward.

keeping just out of range so that you have to reach to punch them.

this works with power punchers/boxer punchers.

punchers always set their feet first to punch. that's where they get their power. if you don't let them set they don't or rarely punch. (TITO-HOPKINS, PAC-MAY are excellent examples) unless they reach, open to counters OR punch without setting feet, less power.

Comment

I don't know about this. I just think fighters need to realize they need to up their punch count and get into the so called elite boxer's chest. Its like they don't understand points are irrelevant in pro boxing, you want to deal damage.

Comment

this is why pressure fighters do better versus movers.

they just move forward, throwing punches while at your chest.

boxer/punchers end up trying to box/getting outboxed by boxer/movers. pressure fighters get beat down coming towards boxer/punchers power though.

it's boxing's paper/scissor/rock.

when talent is equal or close.....

pressure fighters give boxer/movers a hard time with pace and work rate.

boxer/movers are difficult for boxer/punchers with their movement.

boxer/punchers kill pressure fighters with power coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackFist View Post
            I don't know about this. I just think fighters need to realize they need to up their punch count and get into the so called elite boxer's chest. Its like they don't understand points are irrelevant in pro boxing, you want to deal damage.
            boxers choose a style based on their attributes.

then they get used to that style. even with adjustments/game planning, ppl do what is instinctual to them.

Comment

to add i rarely see fighters jab to the body and cut off the ring to get to runners. It truly baffles me when people fight mayweather and forget the fundamentals of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                this is why pressure fighters do better versus movers.

they just move forward, throwing punches while at your chest.

boxer/punchers end up trying to box/getting outboxed by boxer/movers. pressure fighters get beat down coming towards boxer/punchers power though.

it's boxing's paper/scissor/rock.

when talent is equal or close.....

pressure fighters give boxer/movers a hard time with pace and work rate.

boxer/movers are difficult for boxer/punchers with their movement.

boxer/punchers kill pressure fighters with power coming in.
                Perfect description.

Comment

Throwing a punch is about risk versus reward. When you fighting someone like Floyd or Rigondeaux the risk is that you will get hit with a hard counter and the reward is that you will probably miss your punch. These guys often set themselves up so that it always looks like they are ready to throw a counter. Would you be comfortable throwing punches at Rigondeaux for example when he is pawing his jab like he does, or Mayweather when he drops his hands and trys to bait you in to jabbing him?

That and the fact that these fighters often just arent there to throw punches at and its natural that punch output will drop

Comment

lara made canelo chase him
                    mayweather made canelo pay for throwing punches

stop talking about lara, hes so stupid and irrelevant

Comment

Working...
                    X