Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kov/SOG = success! GGG/Lemieux = flop!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golovkin is a super star in Russia you punk. He's popular in China, Japan and Korea as well. He's an international superstar. By the way, Kov was the draw for the international rights. He's by far more popular than Ward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      Based on what? Russia apparently shelled out a good amount on money to get the live/re-air rights to Kovalev-Ward (I doubt that Golovkin's fight had any Russian TV) and Sky Sports is a significantly bigger platform in the UK than BoxNation.

You add that there was nary any mention of Canadian PPV anywhere, and you can't simply assume that the money was bigger just because.

If you can point to a market where Golovkin's money wasn't offset somewhere else by Kovalev-Ward, let me know. And that's before pointing out that, on just the initial projections, Kovalev-Ward did at least $5m more on US PPV than Golovkin-Lemieux did.
      Golovkin/Lemieux was screened in over a 120 countries worldwide, and it was definitely on Russian TV. Loeffler said it brought in more international income than any other fight K2 had staged, and he mentioned Russian TV in that interview.

Kovalev/Ward would have been watched by more people in the UK, because it was free to view on Sky Sports, which everybody in the UK has anyway. But GGG/Lemieux would have made more money over here, because it was on Boxnation, and many GGG fans would have bought a monthly subscription in order to watch it, which is what I did.

Frank Warren said it was one of the most successful shows Boxnation had screened, which could only mean that it brought in a lot of subscription money to his channel.

Comment

• Originally posted by kafkod View Post
        Loeffler said it brought in more international income than any other fight K2 had staged.
        Bigger than Klitschko fights? I don't think so.

Kovalev/Ward would have been watched by more people in the UK, because it was free to view on Sky Sports, which everybody in the UK has anyway. But GGG/Lemieux would have made more money over here, because it was on Boxnation, and many GGG fans would have bought a monthly subscription in order to watch it, which is what I did.
        Sky Sports is a subscription channel just like Boxnation. If they wanted Golovkin-Lemieux they would have got it. Sky and Boxnation usually pay flat fee's for fights unless PPV. How do you know Golovkin-Lemieux made more money? Are you making things up yet again?

Comment

• Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
          Bigger than Klitschko fights? I don't think so.

Sky Sports is a subscription channel just like Boxnation. If they wanted Golovkin-Lemieux they would have got it. Sky and Boxnation usually pay flat fee's for fights unless PPV. How do you know Golovkin-Lemieux made more money? Are you making things up yet again?
          Sky Sports is included, by default, in just about every internet subscription bundle, by every provider, in the UK. I get it and I'm not with Sky. Boxnation is for hard-core boxing fans only, with monthly subscriptions for people who just want to watch a specific show or shows. Sky wouldn't have been able to get GGG/Lemieux if they'd wanted it because K2 have a deal with Frank Warren giving him the right to screen Golovkin's fights in the UK.

I'm assuming Warren would pay K2 a % of every subscription he got from people clicking a link to watch GGG vs Lemieux on his channel, but maybe he just paid them a flat fee for the screening rights. I don't know for sure.

Which of those made more money isn't really that important to me, I'm just giving my opinion
          Last edited by kafkod; 12-09-2016, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
            Doesn't seem likely given the largely pro-Ward crowd reactions and SOG chants.

Regardless of who brang which fans in with them though the PPV numbers were not exciting. I wasn't expecting the PPV sales to be huge but dam 160k was definitely a modest showing.

i was in the building. almost everybody was there to see ward.

Comment

Golovkin/Lemieux was screened in over a 120 countries worldwide, and it was definitely on Russian TV. Loeffler said it brought in more international income than any other fight K2 had staged, and he mentioned Russian TV in that interview.

Frank Warren said it was one of the most successful shows Boxnation had screened, which could only mean that it brought in a lot of subscription money to his channel.
              lol, now you're trying to argue that the money to fight on BoxNation is bigger than the money for Sky Sports? You can't be serious; how many homes even have BoxNation to begin with?

K2 may have mentioned Russia TV, but are you earnestly trying to suggest that the Russians put more money behind Golovkin than they would an actual Russian world champion and p4p top 5 fighter?

You want to hang your hat on "Golovkin/Lemieux was screened in over 120 countries worldwide", but how many countries do you think that Kovalev-Ward was aired in?

Wikipedia puts the Kovalev-Ward fight as being aired on nearly 50 broadcasters (ie channels like South Africa's SuperSport basically being aired all across sub-Saharan Africa).

Golovkin-Lemieux has no such information publicly available.

The more you right, the sillier your position becomes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                lol, now you're trying to argue that the money to fight on BoxNation is bigger than the money for Sky Sports? You can't be serious; how many homes even have BoxNation to begin with?
                Nobody has Boxnation unless they pay for a subscription or buy a PPV ticket to watch a boxing show.

Just about everybody in the UK has Sky Sports, but only a small percentage buy PPV tickets to watch fights on Sky Box Office. Does that mean Sky PPV fights bring in less money than fights you can watch for free on one of Sky's basic sports channels?

Like I said, I'm just giving my opinion here. I hope Kovalev/Ward made tons of money worldwide, because the more money it made, the more likely we are to see a rematch next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                  Mayweather & Pacquiao were averaging 1mil per fight, Canelo averages 300k per fight. Not the same at all, but you know that of course.
                  Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                  Averages 300k? That's his lowest selling PPV, his average is far far higher. But you know that of course.
                  Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                  Vs Lara was around 300k
                  Vs Angulo was around 300k
                  Vs Smith was around 300k

Canelo's number is around 300k. Mayweather & Pacquiao at there peak was around a mil.
                  Mayweather 2.2 mil
                  Angulo 350k
                  Lara 300k
                  Cotto 900k
                  Khan 600k
                  Smith 300k

=775k average

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                  Stay on topic you little dipsht. If it wasn't due to Khan then why did Canelo do ~300k with Lara, Kirkland, and Smith?
                  Golovkin-Lemieux PPV sold because of Lemieux. If it didn't why was Golovkin on regular HBO with wade?

Derp Derp

Damn That Ether, Isaac Clarke straight burned SplitSecond, hehehehe

Comment

Nobody has Boxnation unless they pay for a subscription or buy a PPV ticket to watch a boxing show.

Just about everybody in the UK has Sky Sports, but only a small percentage buy PPV tickets to watch fights on Sky Box Office. Does that mean Sky PPV fights bring in less money than fights you can watch for free on one of Sky's basic sports channels?

Like I said, I'm just giving my opinion here. I hope Kovalev/Ward made tons of money worldwide, because the more money it made, the more likely we are to see a rematch next year.
                    Boxnations revenue for 2015 was £15.6 million. They aren't paying big money for overseas fights. They are getting those fights for peanuts and because Sky doesn't want them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                      Boxnations revenue for 2015 was £15.6 million. They aren't paying big money for overseas fights. They are getting those fights for peanuts and because Sky doesn't want them.
                      Do you think Sky made more than £15.6 million from the boxing matches they aired on their basic free channels in 2015?

I don't.
                      Last edited by kafkod; 12-09-2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X