No announcement yet.

Does handspeed blind flaws?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does handspeed blind flaws?

Don't jump down my throat I am not trying to be or come across as a know-it-all as I find most trainers are these days and it does my head in but do you find if a fighter has great handspeed he almost blinds other fighters and most fans into not seeing the blatant flaws he makes?

For example I couldn't stress enough Amir Khans flaws - No head movement, lunging in, predictable attacks, ineffective flurries/poor punch variety, bad footwork etc etc

I was often accused of hating, being racist & that but it was more constructive criticism and I said ''People are just blinded by this kids handspeed''

I wasn't hating on him though I did and do dislike him, I was simply stating the flaws he had and why he was far from elite and why I found it p1ss funny how people was giving this kid a chance against Floyd & why I felt Matthysse would K.O him, not gonna lie most on here laughed at me back then and I still stand by it to this day.

Its not just hitting him with a counter left hook that concerns me. I am not trainer but I see so many flaws in this kid that really should of been stamped out 5+ years back. Its nice to see him now with an inside game but is it me or is he always off balance? his offense predictable (starts with a good jab tbf but then a load of ineffective flurries/pulled shots) and he is to concerned about a counter left hook? He drops his right and in my eyes, he realises and panics. Tall, rangy & great handspeed but **** all else IMO, seriously!
    I also think people confuse 'great heart' with stupidity.

I know he'll probably beat another defensive midget/stationary fighter and get loads of hype but this kids going to get KTFO again. Virgil Hunter isn't a miracle worker. The kids for 10 years of flaws embedded into him!

I think it can be blinding but they do get caught, all you have to do is put your hand out there and they're gonna get slapped eventually because they are off balance being so aggressive, Khan and Gamboa are good examples except Gamboa has a better chin if not he probably would have more Sleepy times than Khan.

Comment

I think it helps to smother the other fighters offense, and also lets you get away with more.

It also has a lot more attention paid to it than it should (power too). Zab Judah, Andre Berto, Khan e.t.c. were all billed as world-beaters pretty much because they were fast. There was no other actual reasoning.

Obviously this works for fighters like Pacquiao. But he is just so much better than the other fighters named that he is an anomaly.

So yes, I would say so. It can make you look a lot better than you are in more than one way.

Comment

Definitely! Meldrick Taylors ability is vastly over rated based on his impressive speed.

Comment

Yes

look at how many second chances and opportunities Zab Judah, Amir Khan, and Andre Berto get

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
            I think it can be blinding but they do get caught, all you have to do is put your hand out there and they're gonna get slapped eventually because they are off balance being so aggressive, Khan and Gamboa are good examples except Gamboa has a better chin if not he probably would have more Sleepy times than Khan.

I actually must put this out there, I don't think Gamboa has a bad chin and I don't think his defense is that bad! I don't think they're great but I think he has been hit with some perfectly timed counters more than anything. I don't think he has done that much wrong just been hit with perfectly timed shots as he has got maybe a tad wreckless.
            Farenas for example in my eyes at least was underrated and he suckered Gamboa in and landed a beautiful counter left hook. That shot - Not many would of got up from. He recovered superbly from that.
            When you fight high calibre fighters and I still think Farenas is damn underrated, you're going to get hit from time to time.

I see tremendous talent in Gamboa, Khan - not so much.

Comment

Speed is the most flashy attribute, and nearly all the main characters of their respective eras are fast. People easily oooh, ahhh, and get wooed by speed

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                I actually must put this out there, I don't think Gamboa has a bad chin and I don't think his defense is that bad! I don't think they're great but I think he has been hit with some perfectly timed counters more than anything. I don't think he has done that much wrong just been hit with perfectly timed shots as he has got maybe a tad wreckless.
                Farenas for example in my eyes at least was underrated and he suckered Gamboa in and landed a beautiful counter left hook. That shot - Not many would of got up from. He recovered superbly from that.
                When you fight high calibre fighters and I still think Farenas is damn underrated, you're going to get hit from time to time.

I see tremendous talent in Gamboa, Khan - not so much.

Well is obviously different like i said Gamboa is lucky he doesn't have a Khan chin or Farenas would have put hes ass to sleep and i would agree with you before the lay off ring rust or not all the defensive progress he had made went to ****, if you watch that fight carefully I've been watching Gamboa way before he's US debut and he looked lost stylistically, did what he pleased again changed styles through the fight and was insecure, because he is and has been for a while lacking direction of a good trainer.
                Once the wheels are greased again and he gets a Good trainer there is no stopping him because although i think he will still get caught off balance because he is reckless a flash kd is nothing but a point if you are not hurt, and he can obviously take a punch took Salidos Best which Juanma couldn't And Farenas was catching him a lot because he was rusty and some Hard bombs too and he didn't go night night so chin question was put to bed in my book.

Comment

Dude your just a ****ing racist lol. And whoever is in your avatar pisses me off, he looks so ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson Silva View Post
                    Dude your just a ****ing racist lol. And whoever is in your avatar pisses me off, he looks so ugly.

How am I racist exactly? Yeah Rakhim isn't the most handsome guy in the world but he is the future and you've gotta live with that. Nothing you or the cruisers can say or do that will stop him and now hes with a Cuban trainer who guided Gamboa & Solis to olympic gold, nothing is getting in his way.

Comment

Working...
                    X