No announcement yet.

Analysis of Golovkin's Power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analysis of Golovkin's Power

Hey guys I wanted to discuss Golovkin's incredible power. A few things that are interesting though is he is not putting guys to sleep. Most of his recent stoppages have been TKO's, despite this the look on guy's faces when he first land tells you he is incredibly powerful.

Examples of this are the first knockdown off Curtis Stevens, the whole fight with Wade, and the knockout of Matthew Macklin.

Also there are tales of his sparring sessions with heavyweights who swear his punch feels like a heavy.

How powerful is is punch? Is it truly that he is so powerful, or is it the pressure and skilled offense in unison with a good but not amazing power like that of Julian Jackson.

Something that makes this debate difficult is his former opponents all claim he does not punch as hard as they thought despite the fact that they got KO'ed (Stevens, Rosado, Brook).

What are your thoughts? I think his hard bones due to his heritage (Korean + Kazahk) creates punches that are heavy, though they do not look explosive like Pacquiao, Jones, Jackson, Klitschko.

What do you guys rate his power 1-10? I think Julian Jackson is a 10.

From my opinion Golovkin his punch is an 8. Why? Guys like Rosado, Brook, Murray went multiple rounds with him and got hit flush without going to sleep. I think what sets him apart is how good he cuts off the ring. A skilled fighter like Brook who can handle decent pressure could not handle Golovkin, Wade a decent technician could not avoid being on the ropes (despite doing so with Rosado who is a decent fighter).

I wonder what you guys think of Kovalev, Jacobs, Stevenson, Joshua, Fury in regards to power. Let me know your thoughts guys.

Also is there anyone in middleweight that has good power that GGG hasn't defeated yet (Stevens, Lemieux)? Does Jacobs hit harder than Stevens? What about in recent past: Martinez?

Sorry for the rant but you guys have to believe that GGG's power is special.

I think what makes Gennady a KO artist is his ability to mix up the power of his punches. Most power punchers would swing with every punch being fully loaded. Gennady is different, he touches the opponents and when they don't expect delivers heavy blows. His timing is also exceptional for the power puncher. He makes every punch counts.

Comment

Golovkin hits likes girl
      Atleast that's what canelo says

Comment

I think he doesn't have a lot of one punch KOs because he doesn't hit guys with many punches they don't see coming. That's because a) he's always stalking so guys are always on the defensive and b) he's kind of slow.

Comment

Originally posted by stuff jones View Post
          I think he doesn't have a lot of one punch KOs because he doesn't hit guys with many punches they don't see coming. That's because a) he's always stalking so guys are always on the defensive and b) he's kind of slow.
          That is a very good point. Guys fight him extremely defensive since they know he is a great puncher.

I just wish you guys would quantify what you guys think his power is.

Comment

He's definitely a powerful puncher because people say he isn't super skilled and doesn't have great defense so how the hell is he winning? Well he is a very skilled puncher, with all types of angles but what I think adds to the power is his positioning and making his opponent a clear and stationary target by cutting off the ring and giving em little space to move. Brook did a good job at times keeping him in the middle of the thing but you can only do that for so long because he will walk you down eventually cause he doesn't really respect your power. Now if he does respect your power, he will use the jab to get you back and he's a very smart boxer that knows when to use when. So yeah, I think he's like a 9 power that goes to 11 because of how clean he makes the target

Comment

Originally posted by Randomum View Post
              Hey guys I wanted to discuss Golovkin's incredible power. A few things that are interesting though is he is not putting guys to sleep. Most of his recent stoppages have been TKO's, despite this the look on guy's faces when he first land tells you he is incredibly powerful.

Examples of this are the first knockdown off Curtis Stevens, the whole fight with Wade, and the knockout of Matthew Macklin.

Also there are tales of his sparring sessions with heavyweights who swear his punch feels like a heavy.

How powerful is is punch? Is it truly that he is so powerful, or is it the pressure and skilled offense in unison with a good but not amazing power like that of Julian Jackson.

Something that makes this debate difficult is his former opponents all claim he does not punch as hard as they thought despite the fact that they got KO'ed (Stevens, Rosado, Brook).

What are your thoughts? I think his hard bones due to his heritage (Korean + Kazahk) creates punches that are heavy, though they do not look explosive like Pacquiao, Jones, Jackson, Klitschko.

What do you guys rate his power 1-10? I think Julian Jackson is a 10.

From my opinion Golovkin his punch is an 8. Why? Guys like Rosado, Brook, Murray went multiple rounds with him and got hit flush without going to sleep. I think what sets him apart is how good he cuts off the ring. A skilled fighter like Brook who can handle decent pressure could not handle Golovkin, Wade a decent technician could not avoid being on the ropes (despite doing so with Rosado who is a decent fighter).

I wonder what you guys think of Kovalev, Jacobs, Stevenson, Joshua, Fury in regards to power. Let me know your thoughts guys.

Also is there anyone in middleweight that has good power that GGG hasn't defeated yet (Stevens, Lemieux)? Does Jacobs hit harder than Stevens? What about in recent past: Martinez?

Sorry for the rant but you guys have to believe that GGG's power is special.
              But guys like Stevens, Rosado, Brook weren't KO'd. Stevens retired on his stool. Rosado was a ref stoppage; mainly due to the cuts. I think his corner possibly threw the towel. And Brook was also a corner stoppage.

Comment

people will say its me being a fanboy but i genuinely give his power at 160 a 10/10. Pretty much all the fighters say his power is something else, apart from brook but getting wobbled in round 1, his reaction to the body shots and a fractured eye socket tell me otherwise. Stops every opponent, and theres not many clean shots he lands which dont seem to have a visible effect on the opponent, especially his body shots. As another poster says, i dont think he gets that many clean knockouts because his opponents are usually in retreat mode after first couple of rounds

Comment

As I said in another thread today, it's just sitting down on punches and hitting with good form. Sounds simple but not a lot of guys can do that because it leaves you open and you have to be damn good at offensive footwork (which Golovkin is). He doesn't get 1-punch KO's because that's more about timing. Golovkin isn't as crisp with the timing as guys like Canelo, but he does just fine pressuring so it evens out. His style leaves him open to take shots but you would not see the same type of power if Golovkin used movement like Crawford or Loma. It's just the way the science works.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                    But guys like Stevens, Rosado, Brook weren't KO'd. Stevens retired on his stool. Rosado was a ref stoppage; mainly due to the cuts. I think his corner possibly threw the towel. And Brook was also a corner stoppage.
                    If you look at my gigantic book like post I mentioned this. I do not think his power is 10/10 because of this factor. Most of his recent fights have ended in stoppages not clean KO's.

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    people will say its me being a fanboy but i genuinely give his power at 160 a 10/10. Pretty much all the fighters say his power is something else, apart from brook but getting wobbled in round 1, his reaction to the body shots and a fractured eye socket tell me otherwise. Stops every opponent, and theres not many clean shots he lands which dont seem to have a visible effect on the opponent, especially his body shots. As another poster says, i dont think he gets that many clean knockouts because his opponents are usually in retreat mode after first couple of rounds
                    I sort of disagree because he doesn't get clean KOs but Redd Foxx and you make some good points. He doesn't get these clean KOs because his punches are not catching guys off guard like Martinez did.

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    As I said in another thread today, it's just sitting down on punches and hitting with good form. Sounds simple but not a lot of guys can do that because it leaves you open and you have to be damn good at offensive footwork (which Golovkin is). He doesn't get 1-punch KO's because that's more about timing. Golovkin isn't as crisp with the timing as guys like Canelo, but he does just fine pressuring so it evens out. His style leaves him open to take shots but you would not see the same type of power if Golovkin used movement like Crawford or Loma. It's just the way the science works.
                    Great points. This is true. Thanks for posting on this thread, I saw your post on another thread and wanted your opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X