Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of all the Mexican greats JMM has ALWAYS had the smallest fan base

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a tragedy when you think about it. In his prime JMM was in the shadows of Barrera and Morales. He never got the Mexican support because he wasn't that blood and guts brawler. After he fought Pacquiao he went to Indonesia to fight Chris John for 10 grand.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
      It's a tragedy when you think about it. In his prime JMM was in the shadows of Barrera and Morales. He never got the Mexican support because he wasn't that blood and guts brawler. After he fought Pacquiao he went to Indonesia to fight Chris John for 10 grand.
      and whose fault is that?

who was the one that turned down 750k rematch?

same guy who refuses to grant a rematch even though he was given 3 additional fights.

Comment

Originally posted by U_TALKING_2_ME? View Post
        Ok he is not a brawler but he will mix it up when he has to, and to counter that Salvador Sanchez was not a brawler either. (I know when someone great dies too soon it put them on another level)

And looking at your sig El Canelo is also not a brawler but he is the biggest boxing star in Mexico. (Again I KNOW it is just because of the way he looks)
        Like another poster mentioned as a featherweight he was too defensive and maybe people couldn't get over that. The Warquez years when he moved up to 130 135 and now to 147 were we see a more aggressive fighter. So maybe it was too late in his career and fans had already made up their minds on him. Again that's what I imagine is the reason Because personally he's ways been my favorite fighter. And as far as Canelo he was marketed as a ko artist and his looks. That's why most people who rarely see him fight label him as a brawler when in reality he's more of a counter puncher .

Comment

Originally posted by U_TALKING_2_ME? View Post
          I have been a fan of Marquez since watching him live at the Great Western Forum (I miss those days, they had some great fights there)

And back then when the 3 modern Mexican Greats were all Featherweights (MAB, JMM, and EM) I felt that JMM was being ducked by MAB and EM because he had a very good chance of beating them both and the main reason that they could duck him without getting to much flack about it was because JMM really had no fan base to speak of. (High risk, low reward)

And even to this day in Mexico (I'm Mexican, born in Monterrey, Mexico raised in So Cal) JMM is respected but not loved like his fellow Mexican warriors, and his last fight there were so many empty seats it was like someone pulled the fire alarm. (partially due to the ever exciting Bradly)

What do you think is the reason for the lack of support?
          Probably because he's made very little noise outside of his Pac fights, especially early on.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tase View Post
            and whose fault is that?

who was the one that turned down 750k rematch?

same guy who refuses to grant a rematch even though he was given 3 additional fights.
            Well IMO I think that JMM, WILL give Pac the 5th fight for sure. (especially after his new found "rejuvenation" with this Memo dude)

I just think he is playing hard ball because the ball is now in his court and he is going to rape Aurm on the cost to do #5

Comment

he was labeled as 'boring' (watch his fight with Salido) and that turned many fans off...it wasn't until he opened up his style, along with his manny wars, that his fanbase grew

whereas El Terrible and MAB came out guns-a-blazing from the get go

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                he was labeled as 'boring' (watch his fight with Salido) and that turned many fans off...it wasn't until he opened up his style, along with his manny wars, that his fanbase grew

whereas El Terrible and MAB came out guns-a-blazing from the get go
                True, and also I was in Mexico for the Bradley fight talking to my friends and one of them said that he does not like JMM because when he talks in interviews he seems like an "elitist" or a person not of the people, which two more of my friends agreed with him which i find interesting.

Comment

The greatest Mexican boxer of all time had a smaller fan base.. Ricardo Lopez

Comment

Originally posted by KeepItObjective View Post
                    Marquez was always overrated and has an overrated resume. Pacquiao made him.
                    many ppl may disagree with you on this but it's true...marquez will be rememebred as the guy who gave pac his toughest fights..while pac will be remembered as the poor kid from the philippines who went on to become an 8 weight world champ (never been done before)..

outside of his fights with pac, marquez hasn't really done anything hugely memorable

Comment

Originally posted by Dinamita 03
                      Quote:

Originally Posted by U_TALKING_2_ME?

I have been a fan of Marquez since watching him live at the Great Western Forum (I miss those days, they had some great fights there)

And back then when the 3 modern Mexican Greats were all Featherweights (MAB, JMM, and EM) I felt that JMM was being ducked by MAB and EM because he had a very good chance of beating them both and the main reason that they could duck him without getting to much flack about it was because JMM really had no fan base to speak of. (High risk, low reward)

And even to this day in Mexico (I'm Mexican, born in Monterrey, Mexico raised in So Cal) JMM is respected but not loved like his fellow Mexican warriors, and his last fight there were so many empty seats it was like someone pulled the fire alarm. (partially due to the ever exciting Bradly)

What do you think is the reason for the lack of support?

It's simple really ,his fighting style. He's not a brawler like Barrera and Morales and that's what most Mexican fans want to see. It's also the reason he doesn't win fights where has to be the aggressor , it's just not the fighter he is.
                      Morales and Barrera are not brawler. They are boxers who can fight .

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                      X