No announcement yet.

Should GGG sue Canelo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should GGG sue Canelo?

Wilder sued Povetkin, Ledbedev sued Jones (Don King) so why not?

Perhaps Loeffler is smarter than we think? (or perhaps not lol).

No one can make any argument whatsoever that the May 5th cancellation was not 100% Canelo's fault (whether deliberate action or merely negligent). So maybe the strategy here is to torpedo the negotiations, let GGG fight Derev or Charlo next, and use the reduced earnings as evidence of damages against Canelo. It would actually be pretty smart (unless of course he lost to either guy, then obviously they would look ******ed).

And unlike Povetkin or Jones, a good portion of Canelos earnings come via US PPV revenue, so collecting on any judgement would be a piece of cake.

Not sure if this is their strategy, but it certainly would put some $$$$ in their pocket.......
    Last edited by OnePunch; 05-27-2018, 12:43 PM.

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post

No one can make any argument whatsoever that the May 5th cancellation was not 100% Canelo's fault. So maybe the strategy here is to torpedo the negotiations, let GGG fight Derev or Charlo next, and use the reduced earnings as evidence of damages against Canelo. It would actually be pretty smart (unless of course he lost to either guy, then obviously they would look ******ed).

And unlike Povetkin or Jones, a good portion of Canelos earnings come via US PPV revenue, so collecting on any judgement would be a piece of cake.

Not sure if this is their strategy, but it certainly would put some $$$$ in their pocket.......
    Maybe thrown in as a casual threat for a 5% bump. The more I read the more I think 60/40 seems about right. High end for Golovkin is 45%. Considering all the BS from Canelo I wouldn't take less than 38%. Sure he might miss out on millions but he isn't a poor man and he has more good pay days coming. Let Canelo live with the tarnished legacy, from a boxing legacy standpoint he needs the fight much more than Golovkin.

Comment

I would, if an agreement cannot be reached for a September fight. Absolutely!

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to look into it and get a legal opinion. I think suing is appropriate. Go fight the manditory ASAP
        and start looking into a lawsuit now.

Comment

that's what i posted when the may fight fell thru, I don't think there is going to be any problem on winning the lawsuit and there is no way that gbp would make the fight, so get on with it, sue them and forget them

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post

No one can make any argument whatsoever that the May 5th cancellation was not 100% Canelo's fault (whether deliberate action or merely negligent). So maybe the strategy here is to torpedo the negotiations, let GGG fight Derev or Charlo next, and use the reduced earnings as evidence of damages against Canelo. It would actually be pretty smart (unless of course he lost to either guy, then obviously they would look ******ed).

Shadoww702 said that he heard Golovkin was asking for a 50/50 split.

You told him he heard no such thing.

Are you ready to admit you were wrong and take your L?

Comment

He most definitely should have done that immediately after the failed test, or the cancellation. It's a little late in the day now because he's tried to negotiate, and isn't getting what he wants. That makes any act of litigation now appear to be an act of vengeance.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Shadoww702 said that he heard Golovkin was asking for a 50/50 split.

You told him he heard no such thing.

Are you ready to admit you were wrong and take your L?
                How would he be wrong if he said he had not heard that?

Comment

No. Don't sue. Just renegotiate. Starting off high is status quo. 50/50 is too high. If it was 70/30 the 1st fight, and the 2nd fight was agreed on at 65/35, then make this fight at 60/40. And if they have a rematch clause, do it a 3rd time.

Now, if this happens, then GGG will certainly have to relinquish a belt or two. At this point I don't think it matters much. He doesn't seem too high on trying to unify with Saunders. I'd like to hear Loeffler and GGG to speak on that a bit more. They seemed to have COMPLETELY rule out Saunders and the undisputed goal. (which I don't blame. He's 36. $15-20m fights will win every time)
                  Last edited by Street15; 05-27-2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I'm sure GBP is already crunching numbers and ready to send the cheque for the damages.
                    Which I think won't be much and can be recovered for just one fight.
                    As opposed to having to go through fighting a beast
                    that might inflict long-term physical damages.
                    Believe me, Cnelo camp would rather skip this rematch and move on.

Comment

Working...
                    X