Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you really think about it.what sport is more popular in U.S.A?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
    Who's coming through now that is going to attract a large amount of people to the sport?

USA is failing in it's amateur boxing ambitions too, there is definitely a decline in the sport over there in terms of participants. You'll always have an audience because of the large Mexican population but I can't see it surpassing 50 million and remaining consistent.

Do you have any other figures for years previous? Anything from when Tyson was on the rise?
    Well first of all if you don't know who the next stars are going to be at this stage then you aren't a boxing fan. So I'm assuming right now that you're just a troll who lingers around the forum trying to **** on the sport every chance he gets.

You have no reason to assume it won't pass 50 million. You clearly didn't know boxing grew to 50 million in your last post, now the moment you hear about it you're assuming it won't pass that? It grew consistently for over a decade and you think it's going to stop growing the moment YOU YOURSELF hear of it? Talk about trying desperately to spin a positive into a negative. You did zero research and just pulled that from your ass. ****, just going into 2013 boxing grew again by getting 3.4 million people to watch Adamek-Cunningham on NBC. Assuming GBP manage to get this super card they're planning together boxing will grow again in 2013.

Boxing was growing steadily for this entire decade when there was no expectation for growth. Now going into 2013 there are actual reasons to expect growth and you think it's going to decline? Especially now more than ever since the UFC is in a serious decline. Their business fell by 25% in 2011 and that decreased again in 2012.They also got badly exposed by their poor ratings on FOX.
    Last edited by croz; 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Boxing is probably more popular at this moment in time, in a decade football will be bigger. Boxing isn't going to increase in popularity and will steadily decline whilst football has a big boom.
      I'd highly disagree that Soccer is going to grow in America. Even with the amazing win in the WC and the US team showing signs of possibly getting better, it doesn't seem like there has been any added interest. Sure, ESPN now shows EPL but there really isn't a high demand for MLS and lets be honest, until there is major interest in American Soccer, Americans aren't going to care.

It seems that instead Boxing is actually growing with the big networks showing interest(CBS, NBC) and the sport doing pretty well. As a Boxing fan I'd say this is the most happy you should be in a long time for future growth. Not sure why you would think it would decline, or steadily decline for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
        The Klitschkos killed American HW boxing. You'd be surprised how many people love soccer.
        You really are the most ignorant poster on this website. I understand the trolls on this website get off to what they are doing but you, you actually believe the stupid **** that you spew on this website. It blows my mind that they haven't perma ban you.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
          You really are the most ignorant poster on this website. I understand the trolls on this website get off to what they are doing but you, you actually believe the stupid **** that you spew on this website. It blows my mind that they haven't perma ban you.
          The title of the thread should be: if you don't bother to think about it and use baseless assumption, which sport is more popular...?

Comment

I'd highly disagree that Soccer is going to grow in America. Even with the amazing win in the WC and the US team showing signs of possibly getting better, it doesn't seem like there has been any added interest. Sure, ESPN now shows EPL but there really isn't a high demand for MLS and lets be honest, until there is major interest in American Soccer, Americans aren't going to care.

It seems that instead Boxing is actually growing with the big networks showing interest(CBS, NBC) and the sport doing pretty well. As a Boxing fan I'd say this is the most happy you should be in a long time for future growth. Not sure why you would think it would decline, or steadily decline for that matter.
            Outside of TV deals, 'soccer' is quite popular with the younger generation, right?

What I'm saying is when they grow up they're going to be bringing that interest in the sport with them. There isn't a market as such for it in USA at the moment but that's the next big place to crack and there is a lot of money in it. Not to mention all the current invest which is going in to it and the MLS is finally attracting big names, even if it is in the twilight of their career. I'd be surprised if soccer didn't grow in America.

Where as boxing relies on a figure to transcend the sport to attract fans and there is a noticeable decline in the USA boxing. Whether the popularity of the sport is rising or declining, it wouldn't be evident yet.

The ever increasing influx of Mexicans will ensure the sport stays well supported but I can't see it ever reaching the heights it was once at. The sport would be doing well now because of who we have in Mayweather & Pacquiao, especially Pac. But what I'm saying is who is there to replace these people?

Yeah, we can throw around a few names but we won't truly know for a few more years. Will the increase in European fighters dent America's interest in the sport?

Comment

The ever increasing influx of Mexicans will ensure the sport stays well supported but I can't see it ever reaching the heights it was once at. The sport would be doing well now because of who we have in Mayweather & Pacquiao, especially Pac. But what I'm saying is who is there to replace these people?

Yeah, we can throw around a few names but we won't truly know for a few more years.
              Will the increase in European fighters dent America's interest in the sport?
              Then why do you keep asking? You're asking for names then covering your ass by saying we won't know with those people for a few years anyway. Surely it doesn't matter how many names we have because we won't know for a d

Canelo seems to be the sure thing
              Broner is next in line
              Chavez Jr already got 500k buys against Sergio
              Likewise, Sergio's name sky rocketed after the above fight.
              Andre Ward is also being nicely groomed
              Tim Bradley made a nice name for himself after Pac
              Adamek-Cunningnam was watched by 3.4 million people ... now just take any popular HBO boxer and stick him on on NBC, we could triple those numbers easily - instant star.

I bet you were one of those guys who used to go around saying nobody would want boxing back on network TV because it would only bomb.
              Last edited by croz; 01-11-2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Also, soccer has been a popular sport among children in the US for generations now. It's never caught on past the playground. It's the same in Europe with basketball. Just because people like something when they're kids doesn't mean they'll follow it when they grow up.

Plus, I don't think you're the kind of guy who should really be trying to guess the growth cycles of sports.

Comment

I'm sorry you don't know how to catch sarcasm. You have no room to call someone ignorant. They have no reason to perma ban me. I haven't done nothing wrong. You do know there is an ignore function if you don't like what I type.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                    If it wasn't for Eastern Euros, Mexicans, Latinos and Asians boxing would be dead
                    So about 3/4 of the worlds population

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
                      Also, soccer has been a popular sport among children in the US for generations now. It's never caught on past the playground. It's the same in Europe with basketball. Just because people like something when they're kids doesn't mean they'll follow it when they grow up.

Plus, I don't think you're the kind of guy who should really be trying to guess the growth cycles of sports.
                      I'll bite, I ignored you originally because of your stupidity but I feel obliged to respond.

You say the sport has been popular with kids for generations, was America's woman's team #1 decades ago? The men's team wasn't even really qualifying for the WC until '90. They've just received their first high profile coach too in ze German, Klinsmann.

Not to mention David Beckham opening academies over there, MLS attracting known players and American-born players are getting good enough now to play in Europe. Obviously, you have no clue though.

Again, I say that boxing would require someone to transcend the sport to attract a significant amount of fans but this won't be realised yet. Yes, you can name Canelo, Broner etc but that doesn't mean they're that person - can you honestly say you know who's going to be the next Mayweather & Pac?

The problem here is you're talking about the present and I'm talking about the future. Are you going to dig for the statistics from the 90s?

Comment

Working...
                      X