Frank Shamrock: A Week Later

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Shamrock: A Week Later

From www.mmaweekly.com

It's been exactly one week since Frank Shamrock returned to the ring with an impressive win over Bryan Pardoe at World Extreme Cagefighting VI. In an MMAWeekly.com exclusive, Shamrock talks with Ryan Bennett just a week later and breaks down everything. From the walk into the cage, to the staredown. Was he nervous, did he think he could lose the fight, was he scared to fight Bryan Pardoe after four years? He tells us his thoughts right now ONLY on MMAWeekly.com

Ryan Bennett: I talked to you before the fight and you said you were a little nervous, but it was business as usual. Take me through just the actual walk to the cage. What was going through your mind? Was it, I've been here before... business as usual or was it like, Man I forgot what this feels like, it's been awhile?

Frank Shamrock: I was a little nervous, like business as usual and also " my mom is in the crowd and what if I get gruesomely KO'd ". Also I forgot my toothbrush when I left the hotel room and I always brush my teeth before the fight. It was sort of a distraction but not that much. I got there about 3 hours before my fight so I just stayed in that hot trailer the whole time. At about 11:00 pm, I quit reading and breathing and warmed up. Once I was warm I knew that I was going to kick his ass. I felt real sharp and focused. Once my music hit it was already over, that was a total rush.

Ryan: You told me after, you were tired of eating for this fight. It seemed like it was pretty difficult to get to 200 pounds. Was it tough to weigh 200 pounds?

Frank: Dude, it is so hard for me to be 200lbs. I am going to quit fighting at this weight this is crazy. I naturally weigh about 185 so I think that I am going to fight there.

Ryan: So you entered the ring, and you had the staredown. What did you see in Bryan Pardoe's eyes when you guys had the staredown. It looked intense, do you even remember it or were you just thinking about the fight?

Frank: I was thinking that this guy was huge. I faced him off and tried to intimidate and anger him. I thought it would be a good idea to try to hype him up- see if I could get him reaching or blow him up quick.

Ryan: The bell sounds, you guys circle and then he hit you with a pretty hard right hand, then followed it with another shot. Did you want to standup and feel his power and see what he has at this point, or did you just want to get this thing to the ground and do your thing?

Frank: I was supposed to be stepping off and avoiding the power, but I sort of forgot. Actually the cage was smaller and in the shape of a pentagon. I didn't count on that and the way it made the space look. I also didn't think that he would explode that quickly with his rush. I knew that he was going to rush me but he was faster than I expected on his feet.

Ryan: Take me through the end of the fight. You were in the guard and he started throwing some punches while trying to keep his body close to yours. How were you able to get the arm bar?

Frank: He was banging away with punches and posting his other to get more leverage to punch. He left it out there too long and I got my legs and hips around shoulder. Once I got a good position and went to extend he tried to stack me and ground and pound. I hooked his knee and kicked him over on his back for the arm bar.

Ryan: That was very slick, very impressive. So you had Tito Ortiz there, Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Bill Goldberg, your mom, Jeff Blatnick. It was a pretty special night. Tell me your feelings on the night? Was it everything you hoped for?

Frank: It was great. I love the rush of competition and I love to entertain. All my friends and MMA Stars were there , the energy was incredible. The music, the fights, it was awesome. This fight was a big goal for me because the last two fights I got hurt (broken rib) and then (leg) and didn't get to fight: so when I completed all that training and then won I wanted to jump out of my skin. I also was stressed because I was helping to produce and had Network Stations, entertainment companies, MTV, and business partners. So of course I had to win!!!

Ryan: Wow, so are they just friends from all of those stations or is this future footage we will see on a network?

Frank: They were just reps from MTV, cable, networks , etc. They were there to see the show. It's all entertainment.

Ryan: When can we expect to see you back in the ring again?

Frank: Right now, no plans. I am looking for an event in Vegas or California. A lot of offers from England. I am just chilling right now. Unfortunately, I do have a slipping rib that I will need to fix before I go back, but other than that I feel great.

Ryan: In the word's of your friend, Goldberg......Who's next?

Frank: I don't care. I want to help the sport and make some money; so, whomever steps up and can entertain.

Ryan: Frank it's been a long time coming and I was honored to call your comeback fight. I look forward to seeing you soon and thanks again. It's about time we saw Frank Shamrock fight in the cage.

Frank: Thanks Ryan you are the best.

Frank is awesome, thanks for the read Wondermut.....

Comment

i want to see Frank at 185

Comment

cool

Comment

Frank at 185 would be awesome!

Comment

good read

Comment

Busta- Sak- Anderson- Frank all at Middleweight in Pride. please let this happen

Comment

Originally posted by Zen420
                Busta- Sak- Anderson- Frank all at Middleweight in Pride. please let this happen
                Agreed....I think the new people they are putting in Pride are going to make a middleweight divison

Comment

Frank's the mother****in man, i hope he fights busta in Pridew/in a year, that be hot.

Comment

cheers mut

Comment

Working...
                    X