No announcement yet.

short fighter vs tall

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
    @beavis ah yes, agreed with the counter jab, step outside his jab, angle off and hook (all within his first jab)..

however, jabs do the body tend to be less efficient..
    i mean really, how much damage/effect can it really do at the risk of getting headshotted by a cross from the taller fighter?

I've fought as a taller fighter and dropped a right hand before, and recieved a right like that as well.
    and from both experiences, the jab to body is ****. even if power jab..

am i doing it wrong? are my opponents doing it wrong?
    thanks again

If you can get them right in the Solar Plex/Liver area a solid jab will hurt them. A left hook is a better angle fo rthat shot but you can get a good jab in there too.

Your more likely to get countered trying to reach all the way to his head than going to his body.

And remember you don't have to hurt them with the jab. No fighter is going to keep giving you that opening. And if they so happen to not start dropping their hands your gonna be able to dig in for power shots.

I still jab a taller fighter to the head but its easier to reach out and touch their body. A taller fighters head is farther away than their body.

So the jab I use against a fighter the same size, in which I use to touch them on the head with and set things up, is instead a jab to the body much more frequently against a taller fighter.

Say im in there against a fighter the same size and I am touch, touch, touching them with the jab. One of every five will be to the body, maybe even less to the body. Against a taller fighter 1 of every 3 are to the body if not half of those touches. And all the while I am doing things like tripling the jab up with the first two to the body and the third up top and all kinds of variations.

Some other things I like to do against any fighter is little tricks like look at their body and bend down like your going in for the body jab but go up top with it.

Look them in the eye like you are going to power jab their face but go body.

Deceit is the key and each punch sets up the next one. Also don't be afraid to punch their chest, shoulders and anywhere lese legal. Might not hurt them but it sets up other things.

Your on the right track by studying other fighters and getting in there to experiment to see what works for you. All these are things that work for me and my style but are hopefully useful for everyone.

Its really a trial and error process and what works one day against a sparring partner might not work the next day because they will catch on.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
      I use the jab against taller fighters more defensively than I did vs shorter fighters.

For instance if I'm trying to move in, or against the ropes, I used a more loaded jab to back them up, and hurt them, as opposed to a more offensive jab to try and move inside, or set up bigger punches.

The one thing I ALWAYS do vs a taller fight, is smash my jab to the body. NO one knows how to throw proper body jabs anymore, and most guys aren't use to it, I cam take away an opponents aggressiveness immediately with that body jab.

No one knows how to defend it either, amd the great thing, vs a taller fighter, if you got a good body jab, they'll crunch down to absorb it, bringing them closer to your own height.

I picked that up when Floyd fought Cotto's brother, he came out slamming that body jab rnd 1, and you could see how quickly that lead to everything else. And it wasn't a flick jab, those jabs had bad intentions, you see it in Cotto's face.

Body jab, most underused punch in boxing. But you gotta have footwork to really use it.
      Originally posted by Beavis_5000 View Post
      If you can get them right in the Solar Plex/Liver area a solid jab will hurt them. A left hook is a better angle fo rthat shot but you can get a good jab in there too.

Your more likely to get countered trying to reach all the way to his head than going to his body.

And remember you don't have to hurt them with the jab. No fighter is going to keep giving you that opening. And if they so happen to not start dropping their hands your gonna be able to dig in for power shots.

I still jab a taller fighter to the head but its easier to reach out and touch their body. A taller fighters head is farther away than their body.

So the jab I use against a fighter the same size, in which I use to touch them on the head with and set things up, is instead a jab to the body much more frequently against a taller fighter.

Say im in there against a fighter the same size and I am touch, touch, touching them with the jab. One of every five will be to the body, maybe even less to the body. Against a taller fighter 1 of every 3 are to the body if not half of those touches. And all the while I am doing things like tripling the jab up with the first two to the body and the third up top and all kinds of variations.

Some other things I like to do against any fighter is little tricks like look at their body and bend down like your going in for the body jab but go up top with it.

Look them in the eye like you are going to power jab their face but go body.

Deceit is the key and each punch sets up the next one. Also don't be afraid to punch their chest, shoulders and anywhere lese legal. Might not hurt them but it sets up other things.

Your on the right track by studying other fighters and getting in there to experiment to see what works for you. All these are things that work for me and my style but are hopefully useful for everyone.

Its really a trial and error process and what works one day against a sparring partner might not work the next day because they will catch on.
      hey thanks beavis and adix! long reads, i will try to absorb these and try them out in my next sparring session! thank you two again for the insightful responses

Comment

I agree that using the jab (particularly to the head) as a shorter fighter to get inside is over rated. A tall boxer who knows how to fight tall will simply just take a half step back or pivot to step out of range, then open up on you. I am not a fan of fighting "small" so I hate fighting taller fighters, but I honestly think the best way to get inside is with your feet and head movement more so than jabbing. Use your feet to close the distance quickly, then do work.

Like many have said though, the jab to the body as a shorter fighter is golden. I use that a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
          hey thanks beavis and adix! long reads, i will try to absorb these and try them out in my next sparring session! thank you two again for the insightful responses

No problem just trying to help.

Keep us updated and let us know if you come up with any new tricks lol.

Comment

Working...
          X