No announcement yet.

What does lineal champ mean to you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does lineal champ mean to you?

I see all these *****s and *******s talking about it but what does it really mean to you. Define it

just as floyd said, titles don't mean shit

if they did manny pacquiao would be the highest paid athlete in boxing, but he isn't.

Comment

By definition there has to be a tangible lineage. The man who beat the man who beat the man and it should be able to be traced.

Considering the Ring Title is somewhat new, and you can win it by being number 1 and fighting number 2 or in some cases, number 3, there isn't always an established lineage.

That's the difference.

Comment

It's the man who beat the man. Which of course traces back for many years.

If the Lineage is vacant, it can be re-determined by the universal #1 Vs. the universal #2.

The "Lineage" is often open to interpretation, as far as I'm aware the "Ring Title" is their interpretation of "The man" and the "Lineal Champion".

But, other's people may differ to there's I.e Mosley's WW Lineage in 09-10. Many considered him the Lineal Champion whereas The Ring and other's felt he wasn't.

So, it does get confusing at times.

That's how I look at it anyway and always have.

Comment

if its undefined then its when the top 2 guys fight. if theyres a guy that unify belts then thats a better way but nowadays that doesnt happen so again when the top 2 guys fight each other.

Comment

lineal has two meanings depending on the situation. if the tite is vacant, its when the top two guys in the division fight each other and the winner is considered the man to beat.

once there is a man to beat, the lineal is established and the man who beats that man is lineal and so on and so forth until once again someone retires or vacates.

Comment

The man who beat the man

or

Establishing yourself as the man to beat

Comment

Question?

Lets say right now Canelo and Cotto fought, would you consider it a lineal title since they are 1 and 2 on the rings rankings at 154??

I sure as hell have a really hard time calling the winner of that fight a lineal champ

Comment

Love the definitions.

My idea of it is whoever beats the man, aka undisputed #1.

Ex: If Bradley were to beat Pacquiao. Bradley becomes the man.

Comment

Great thread, I don't know much about this topic but this is something I would like to know more about. Considering there are lots of people with great knowledge of the sport on the forum I am hoping to get clear explanation from someone on the topic.

Comment

Working...
                    X