Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Without Oscar do Manny and Floyd become crossover stars?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar ray leonard is an icon even to the casual sports fan (of appropriate age). I hear his name in popular culture all the time.
    My favorite is from seinfeld when George Costanza thinks his boss looks just like Ray, and racist allegations ensue.

I'm not so sure internet had much to do with oscars fame. Sure, internet was around in the mid 90s, but not as prevalent as it is now.
    It was more due to his good looks (no ****, really!) and hollywood esque story (winning the gold after he promised his dying mom etc etc).
    On top of that, he fought ferociously. He was a hit among the women for his looks and his sad story, and among the men (except for jro obviously) for his in-ring style. On top of that, he had mexican roots.

Oscar was kind of like a perfect storm when making a boxing celebrity to get mainstream appeal.

Comment

Oscar sacrificed his boxing career to help his promotional career against Pac. He made a smart business decision to basically hand off the torch to Pac and even struck a deal with Top Rank that gave him rights to Manny's fights as long as he was fighting another GBP fighter.

Against PBF, there was actually a demand for the fight and it was made. Although, PBF's drawing power was definitely helped even though most of it came from people that wanted him to lose.

He did wonders for both of their careers and used his name ingeniously to draw in more revenue for boxing.

Regardless of what anyone says, DLH was in it to lose it against Pac. At one point he was getting destroyed in the corner, by reflex he turned his way out of it, and then jumped back in so he could keep taking punches...

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
        Sugar ray leonard is an icon even to the casual sports fan (of appropriate age). I hear his name in popular culture all the time.
        My favorite is from seinfeld when George Costanza thinks his boss looks just like Ray, and racist allegations ensue.

I'm not so sure internet had much to do with oscars fame. Sure, internet was around in the mid 90s, but not as prevalent as it is now.
        It was more due to his good looks (no ****, really!) and hollywood esque story (winning the gold after he promised his dying mom etc etc).
        On top of that, he fought ferociously. He was a hit among the women for his looks and his sad story, and among the men (except for jro obviously) for his in-ring style. On top of that, he had mexican roots.

Oscar was kind of like a perfect storm when making a boxing celebrity to get mainstream appeal.

Comment

I think so thats the reason every body is trying to fight Mayweather and Pacman now. I mean it's what happens every body wants to fight the cash cow you had Mayweather being a cheerleader for De la hoya when De la hoya fought Ricardo. And he also had Hopkins praying that Oscar would get past that guy felix from Germany to get that cash money so I would say yes.

Comment

No and that is a fact.

Comment

Working...
            X