Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what's your opinion on Oscar Valdez & Erik Morales?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's your opinion on Oscar Valdez & Erik Morales?

I've read/heard a lot of opinions about last nights overrated main event but yet to have heard anything about Valdez's future as a boxer & Morales' as a trainer.

Imo, Valdez is a solid prospect he just has a lot of maturing to do in the pro ranks. His constant head hunting was evident of that. I also think his D could tighten up, a few of those body shots Tomayo landed I think hurt Valdez. But all & all it was good to see a Mexican prospect with the not so typical style. I think Arum will groom him well.

As for Morales, obviously his ring knowledge is immense. Idk how long he's been training but I see a future in it for him. one setback I may see for El Terrible is he cannot think of his fighter as himself, obviously there were times last night where he was frustrated with Vargas & probably wanted to throw the gloves on himself & show him how it's done lol! It'll be interesting to see how Vargas looks in a full training camp with Morales & how Morales can trains a non-established fighter.

With that said, good performances by both, there's lots of room to improve. What do you think?

Morales was just there. He didnt seem invested at all and it might just be his demeanor or just that he wasnt really invested. The difference in both corners were obvious during the fight. Diaz is such a good trainer, and I have no doubt Morales can also be, but he just didnt really seem to give a crap.

Valdez looked better than I thought he would. Hes a legit fighter. I think he has elite skills and hes still learning. This fight will probably attract doubters but its the kind of fight he needed if hes to develop. Verdejo-Valdez is the next big fight in the PR-Mexian rivalry and you can bet on it. The fight will be huge. Im guessing it'll be at 140 or 147 as a unification match between two undefeated fighters. They are that good.

Comment

I didn't really like what I saw showed that his power was over rated...he couldn't knock out a bum who been koed TWICE In his last 5 fights...

He wasn't smart or mature enoght to go to the body

He got hurt when tamato threw a body punch when he actually did throw a punch

And he looked gassed after 8 rounds

So far I see everyone in the devision spanking him and Verdejo stopping him

Comment

Valdez over Verdejo. The only reason Verdejo is more known is because it is easier to Market a PR fighter to a PR Crowd, than it is to Market a Mexican fighter to a Mexican Crowd because their are so many great mexican fighters, and there are a lot of good Ricans but they are more likely to think one of their fighters is the greatest thing since sliced bread while a mexican fighter has to go out and prove himself time and time again.

Overall, Valdez is much better. That KD yesterday should have been called a trip.

Comment

Oscar Valdez es mi compa, cuando viene a Hermosillo se corta el pelo en donde mismo que yo, ya me ha tocado platicar con el y es a toda madre el bato

Tiene un futuro muy prometedor, creo que su apogeo sera en las 135, no lo veo siendo uno de la elite de las 147. Arriba SONORAAA!
          Last edited by jose.sooto; 06-28-2015, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I don't get why people keep trying to set up the Valdez-Verdejo fight. Verdejo fights at 135 and Valdez has made it clear he wants to win his first belt at 126. Valdez will most likely top out at 135/140, while Verdejo will probably 140 sooner than we think. Fight might never happen. If anything it'll probably be Verdejo-Ramirez, if people really want to see a MEX-PR fight for the future.

Valdez looked solid obviously has a lot to learn, just like any other prospect. Verdejo still has a lot to learn. IMO Cotto was twice the prospect Verdejo is now, when they both had around the same amount of fights. I've been more impressed with Pedraza (although he's not a prospect anymore).

Back to Valdez, he seems to try to do more than he needs to; if that makes any sense. IMO he does unnecessary movements, he was trying out the Loma trick to create angles which worked sometimes but other times it didn't (at least he's trying out new things). I believe he had trouble with Tamayo's height and southpaw stance. Valdez was content on just making contact with Tamayo, he needed to get close to get more leverage on his shots. He could have gone to the body more, he's usually a good body puncher but I guess Tamayo's style didn't allow him to do it that often. He could have more variation on his power; meaning he basically threw every single shot with the same amount of power (which is not good). Not all punches need power, he's just waisting energy in doing that. Of course I'm not the one feeling his power, but just looking at it they all seem to come with the same amount of force; unless you're a big puncher (like Kovalev or Beterbiev for example) you should try to have some shots that are not to hard and then come back with a hard shot (it's hard to explain in sentences-words lol). But unlike most, I was quite impressed with Valdez.

You can't expect all these prospects to be moved super fast like Loma was or like Beterbiev is being moved now.
            Guys like Valdez, Verdejo, Spence need to learn more, which is not bad. They need fights like the one Valdez had on Saturday night. Fans have to be patient with these young guys.
            Last edited by HI-TECH Boxing; 06-29-2015, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
              I don't get why people keep trying to set up the Valdez-Verdejo fight. Verdejo fights at 135 and Valdez has made it clear he wants to win his first belt at 126. Valdez will most likely top out at 135/140, while Verdejo will probably 140 sooner than we think. Fight might never happen. If anything it'll probably be Verdejo-Ramirez, if people really want to see a MEX-PR fight for the future.

Valdez looked solid obviously has a lot to learn, just like any other prospect. Verdejo still has a lot to learn. IMO Cotto was twice the prospect Verdejo is now, when they both had around the same amount of fights. I've been more impressed with Pedraza (although he's not a prospect anymore).

Back to Valdez, he seems to try to do more than he needs to; if that makes any sense. IMO he does unnecessary movements, he was trying out the Loma trick to create angles which worked sometimes but other times it didn't (at least he's trying out new things). I believe he had trouble with Tamayo's height and southpaw stance. Valdez was content on just making contact with Tamayo, he needed to get close to get more leverage on his shots. He could have gone to the body more, he's usually a good body puncher but I guess Tamayo's style didn't allow him to do it that often. He could have more variation on his power; meaning he basically threw every single shot with the same amount of power (which is not good). Not all punches need power, he's just waisting energy in doing that. Of course I'm not the one feeling his power, but just looking at it they all seem to come with the same amount of force; unless you're a big puncher (like Kovalev or Beterbiev for example) you should try to have some shots that are not to hard and then come back with a hard shot (it's hard to explain in sentences-words lol). But unlike most, I was quite impressed with Valdez.

You can't expect all these prospects to be moved super fast like Loma was or like Beterbiev is being moved now.
              Guys like Valdez, Verdejo, Spence need to learn more, which is not bad. They need fights like the one Valdez had on Saturday night. Fans have to be patient with these young guys.
              If you meant me, thats exactly why I said 140/147. Obviously if it ever happens, they are with Bob Arum so it doesnt need to be said. That fight will happen IMO. They are the future. It wont be next year but it will be probably be early 2018

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
              Valdez over Verdejo. The only reason Verdejo is more known is because it is easier to Market a PR fighter to a PR Crowd, than it is to Market a Mexican fighter to a Mexican Crowd because their are so many great mexican fighters, and there are a lot of good Ricans but they are more likely to think one of their fighters is the greatest thing since sliced bread while a mexican fighter has to go out and prove himself time and time again.

Overall, Valdez is much better. That KD yesterday should have been called a trip.
              I think you are bugging. Verdejo is the much better fighter imo and its not even close. Hes bigger, stronger, faster, smarter and even at 147 he would be too big for the division. I think Verdejo gets a signature stoppage win over him if they fought. Verdejo is top echelon P4P potential. Hes not even going to challenge for a world title till 2017. They are both coming up lets just hope they fight eventually. Great fight for the fans and wouldnt be surprised if Valdez did win.
              Last edited by MrP4P; 06-29-2015, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Valdez was unimpressive. Looks extremely green and has a lot of work to do. He literally only knows how to throw two punches, like an even less diverse David Lemieux, without the power.

Morales looked slick in the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by MrP4P View Post

I think you are bugging. Verdejo is the much better fighter imo and its not even close. Hes bigger, stronger, faster, smarter and even at 147 he would be too big for the division. I think Verdejo gets a signature stoppage win over him if they fought. Verdejo is top echelon P4P potential. Hes not even going to challenge for a world title till 2017. They are both coming up lets just hope they fight eventually. Great fight for the fans and wouldnt be surprised if Valdez did win.

Crawford makes Verdejo take a Knee. Once Lomachenko moves up in weight, he will do the same. Once Valdez moves up in weight, he will make verdejo take that Puerto Rican Knee. And If Verdejo ever even thinks about getting in the ring with Spence, Verdejo gets put to sleep before he can take a knee.

Comment

He looked ok, good boxing skills but lack of power probably keeps him from transitioning into higher weight classes. Verdejo is way too big for the guy though, apart from the Mexico vs PR rivalry fight doesn't make much sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X