No announcement yet.

All About The Jab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All About The Jab

i made this thread to see what other fellows who train in the pugulistic arts view the jab. begginers and trained fighters feel free to post so we can compare ideas/training methodologies.

i usually split the jab into 5 catagories:

- the defencive jab, meant to keep an opponent away while he is attacking you. used as a spacer. many boxers use these to help escape a troubling position.

- the range finder, it's more of a measurer for a big cross, overhand, or straight. tszyu used these a lot.

- the snappy jab, used to upset and frustrate an oppenent as well as score points at a safer range. these can soften up an opponent for a ko. ali's most basic weapon.

- the neutralizing jab, is like punching a punch almost. it will change the trajectory of an incoming punch.

- and finally the power jab, my personal favorite. rarely used, but effective as hell if trained. wladimir klitschko mixes power jabs with snappier ones when he is being particularly offensive.

please discuss. i'd love to know if any other boxers have been taught the depth of the jab and to what extent.
    Last edited by j; 02-21-2007, 11:51 PM.

For defense I don't use that jab that much (maybe not as much as I should). I'm personally all about the range finding and snapping jab. As far as the power jab, how do you really throw that? I feel some good power come out of my snapping jabs, when I get good shoulder movement in. Is there something else to do to augment power in the jab?

Comment

and 1 of the most important u forgot.the jab to get into the taller fighter.I guess u can call it the get in jab.

Comment

Yeh this is a good division of jabs. They should all be trained. Trick you can turn into the jab a bit

Comment

I hardly ever use the jab for defence to be honest. I slip punches well and use a bob and weave technique, which obviously needs a little tweaking, but all in good time.

I mainly use a snapping jab because the main aim of boxers in the amateurs is to score points and this is a quick and easy way to do it once you have got your snapping jab just right.

I also like to use it to open an opponent up for the straight.

My jab is arguably my most perfected punch.

Comment

Jab was the first punch I learned and it was the harddest for me.

Comment

Turn into it? Well basically I'm always turning my shoulder in my "snapping" jab, so I'm not sure what else I could do to get more power on it that wouldn't leave me open.

Comment

As far as the power jab, how do you really throw that? I feel some good power come out of my snapping jabs, when I get good shoulder movement in. Is there something else to do to augment power in the jab?

yes, there is something else.

one thing you mention is shoulder movement. my guess is that you are talking about a horizontal rotation here.

don't forget about the vertical. this, is the real hard part for most people it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by j View Post
                  yes, there is something else.

one thing you mention is shoulder movement. my guess is that you are talking about a horizontal rotation here.

don't forget about the vertical. this, is the real hard part for most people it seems.
                  Oh, yeah, Wlad does it with his power jab.

Comment

Oh, yeah, Wlad does it with his power jab
                    i think i know what you are referring to. is it the way he somewhat chops down onto an opponents gaurd? that is, physically, the employment of the vertical circle.

a nice power jab is one of my fighting style's main specialties. that's one of the differences between the boxing i do and standard american boxing.

BTW, wladimir OWNS the jab. that thing is like a machine gun, and sometimes even like a cannon. if wladimir polished his micromechanics, he would likely KO opponents with his jab alone.

the verticle circle is more micromechanics.
                    ----------

so, how do some of your coaches view the jab or mechanics of? i mean, besides the fact that it is the most important fundamental offensive technique.

Comment

Working...
                    X