Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Mayweather rank realistically on an all time list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larry x.. View Post
    How would we know? who here even has a list?
    Yeah true, it's difficult to say but guys like Ali, Leonard, Robinson, Louis, Pep & Armstrong would definitely be ahead of him. Duran is debatable. Than there's a whole bunch of other guys that are debatable like Chavez Sr, Marciano, Foreman, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG GUNZ View Post
      If I were to guess I'd probably say he's at the bottom of the top 10 or maybe just right outside of it if one isn't being biased. Anyone agree or where would you rank him?
      Dude realistically he's about 20th all time.

His biggest issue for him to not be ranked better is basically his era he fought in. Im sorry to say but he fought in a weak competitive era. And there is no question about it.

Floyds biggest claim he and his fanboys make is he fought and beat more champions than any other fighter in history, but guess what he fought in an era where there were 4 champions per division. So he had ten times as many opportunities to fight a so called champ than in past eras.

IMO being 20th all time is an amazing spot considering the era he fought in.

But realistically 20th is where he belongs.

Comment

Top 10 dead or alive. Most world champions beat, multiple fighters on the P4P list when he beat them, undefeated for over 20 years. He is the best of his generation. Top 10 point blank period.

Comment

lol @ he lost Castillo 1 and 2, lost to pac, lost maidana 1 and 2 and lost to cotto that is just too much

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
            Top 10.......
            Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
            theres not many i'd rank higher. cba to do a list but imagine he'd be around 5th or so on mine.
            If I were to guess I'd probably say he's at the bottom of the top 10 or maybe just right outside of it if one isn't being biased. Anyone agree or where would you rank him?
            (In no particular order)

Louis
            Ali
            Robinson
            (Ray) Leonard
            Duran
            Langford
            Dempsey
            Johnson
            Armstrong
            (Benny) Leonard
            Liston
            Pep
            Greb
            Jones Jr
            Chavez
            Tunney
            Holyfield
            Foreman

With a list like that, I think its criminal (and stupid) to have Floyd anywhere near top 10, nevermind 5. The impact a lot of these guys had on the sport is cemented in history. Whilst its not Floyd's fault he is in a watered down era of business-boxing, he did more than his fair share of exploiting it.

Top 30 definitely, with Pacquiao and Hopkins not far behind him

Comment

It's difficult to compare fighters of different eras. When you have Ray Robinson, Willie Pep, Archie Moore, and dozens of others fighting 200+ fights, you cannot weigh that against a guy who had 50 fights. Especially when those 49 and counting, were mostly past their prime, coming up in weight, or products of the Mayweather hype machine and public relations team. Toss in the three fights he should have lost (Castillo, De La Hoya, Maidana) the countless fighters he ducked, the IV cover up, and I don't see him anywhere near an all-time list in the top 50.

Comment

Yeah true, it's difficult to say but guys like Ali, Leonard, Robinson, Louis, Pep & Armstrong would definitely be ahead of him. Duran is debatable. Than there's a whole bunch of other guys that are debatable like Chavez Sr, Marciano, Foreman, etc.
                why would Marciano be debatable?

Comment

Originally posted by True-Boxing-Fan View Post
                  Dude realistically he's about 20th all time.

His biggest issue for him to not be ranked better is basically his era he fought in. Im sorry to say but he fought in a weak competitive era. And there is no question about it.

Floyds biggest claim he and his fanboys make is he fought and beat more champions than any other fighter in history, but guess what he fought in an era where there were 4 champions per division. So he had ten times as many opportunities to fight a so called champ than in past eras.

IMO being 20th all time is an amazing spot considering the era he fought in.

But realistically 20th is where he belongs.
                  When Leonard was fighting there were 3 belts..there has been more then one title belt for over 40 years

Comment

Originally posted by RLYNN View Post
                    It's difficult to compare fighters of different eras. When you have Ray Robinson, Willie Pep, Archie Moore, and dozens of others fighting 200+ fights, you cannot weigh that against a guy who had 50 fights. Especially when those 49 and counting, were mostly past their prime, coming up in weight, or products of the Mayweather hype machine and public relations team. Toss in the three fights he should have lost (Castillo, De La Hoya, Maidana) the countless fighters he ducked, the IV cover up, and I don't see him anywhere near an all-time list in the top 50.
                    Floyd was past his prime for alot of his big wins and he himself moved up in weight 4 times so i dont get your point

Comment

Probably abpoiut 25. But at a stretch could put him top 20.

Never fought toughest opponent available. He did fight people wiuth belts but the people with beltds aren't neccesarily the toughest or the ones who will enhance legacy. Fighting berto rather than brook. Never fought abroad.
                      Quite below PAC I'd say. PACs top 10
                      Last edited by hugh grant; 03-13-2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X