Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Boxing's Pound For Pound Debate Is Tougher Than Ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if loma is more dominant at 130 or 135 than golovkin at 160, i think we have a
    clear
    p4p champ. same
    with crawford, but hed have to prove it at 147 or
    154. at 140 hes a welterweight who can cut weight like crazy. the talent is there sure. samemwith alvarez. hes damn good, and he deserves every bit of dislike he gets from critics and detractors, but hes damn good. hard
    to be objective prmfair about hisnin ring performance when who he gets
    in the ring with is a determined so drastically
    by his freakish out of ring ability to cut weight.

Comment

Crawford or Lomachenko will be number one soon. The divisions they fight in are loaded with top talent for them to build impressive pfp quality wins with.

Comment

Man to many ppl like to judge off the eye test and NOT what they have done in the ring. Has Lomachenko or GGG beat anyone ranked P4P Top 10??? How about top 20??? Ward has a win against a Top #3 Fighter. And is rematching Kovalov AGAIN. So if he wins again that will be 2 wins against one of the best out there. Canelo has a win against a top #10. Cotto was ranked #9 at the time. And Lara is still around like #17. Trout was top #20 at the time.

We're giving guys passes for fighting tomato cans??? 1 decent fighter shouldn't sky rocket you to the top. And that was even a very close fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Real Talk85 View Post
          Crawford or Lomachenko will be number one soon. The divisions they fight in are loaded with top talent for them to build impressive pfp quality wins with.
          140??? Not really? Name someone for me?? 147 way better. Loma has options above and below.

Comment

What makes it so difficult is the fact these guys arent fighting often enough. More specifically they arent fighting top opposition often enough.

2 good fights a year should be a minimum with a few filler fights as well. Preferably 3 good fights. We would soon see the best rise to the top and clear no.1, 2, 3 etc

Comment

There's no debate. Anyone using sound reason and logic would have to say that Ward, based on his body of work, is the undisputed P4P king.

Comment

P4P means the best fighter in the sport at this particular moment. I hate to nitpick and incredibly talented fighter like Lomachenko but he has a recent loss whereas other fighters don't. Everybody knows I'm a Crawford guy but he has no wins over top p4p opponents. He needs the Pacquiao fight to lay a claim. Crawford and GGG are in the same boat.

Andre Ward and Sergey Kovalev are clearly the 1-2 at the moment. Ward based on overall body of work and unifying belts in 2 weight classes. Kovalev because of unifying belts in one weight class and arguably beating (if not coming in with a point of beating) another top p4p fighter in Ward.

With that logic, your list should look something like this:

1. Ward (if you think he won. If not, Kov)
                2. Kovalev (if you think he lost. If not move him to 1)
                3. GGG
                4. Crawford
                5. Lomachenko

Comment

One would think the winner of Lomachenko and Garcia should be #1, or have a very compelling case to do so. Ward is clearly #1, albeit quite inactive. Should Crawford ever fight Spence, you have another candidate for the mythical crown. Rigo vs. a warm body would assist as well. GGG, Gonzalez, Kovalev have no serious merit at #1. Canelo beats Chavez Jr. by KO warrants top 5 and then top 3 once he fights GGG. Canelo beat game contenders at 154, but since then beating on Cotto and Khan do not impress me much for P4P.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                    P4P means the best fighter in the sport at this particular moment. I hate to nitpick and incredibly talented fighter like Lomachenko but he has a recent loss whereas other fighters don't. Everybody knows I'm a Crawford guy but he has no wins over top p4p opponents. He needs the Pacquiao fight to lay a claim. Crawford and GGG are in the same boat.

Andre Ward and Sergey Kovalev are clearly the 1-2 at the moment. Ward based on overall body of work and unifying belts in 2 weight classes. Kovalev because of unifying belts in one weight class and arguably beating (if not coming in with a point of beating) another top p4p fighter in Ward.

With that logic, your list should look something like this:

1. Ward (if you think he won. If not, Kov)
                    2. Kovalev (if you think he lost. If not move him to 1)
                    3. GGG
                    4. Crawford
                    5. Lomachenko
                    Who does Kovalev have that puts him top 3 P4P? 50 year old Hopkins? A close win over Chilemba?

Lomachenko schooled Walters. Walters had a P4P win over Donaire, and beat all his competition just as well as Kovalev (including that bs draw).

I'll say it before and I'll say it again: if we are going to rate Kovalev by eyetest, we should apply the same logic to Lomachenko.

Comment

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
                      Who does Kovalev have that puts him top 3 P4P? 50 year old Hopkins? A close win over Chilemba?

Lomachenko schooled Walters. Walters had a P4P win over Donaire, and beat all his competition just as well as Kovalev (including that bs draw).

I'll say it before and I'll say it again: if we are going to rate Kovalev by eyetest, we should apply the same logic to Lomachenko.
                      He just fought the #1 p4p fighter in the world to within a point. Ward is levels above Walters and Gary Russell.

Comment

Working...
                      X